Old 07-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Mount Vernon, WA / La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Model: 1985 President Sundeck 41
Boat Cats-Litter Box

After losing our beloved Sadie Lady (Plott Hound) a year ago, we have decided on getting a boat cat.
It's been extremely nice not having to go to shore first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but we really miss some companionship.
We've now got a teeny tiny little 12 week old kitten (Ashley) that we're getting used to wearing a collar, and have a harness on it's way to leash train her as well.

What are some suggestions for litter box types and litter types?
I see the shelters are basically using pellet stove pellets now, which we are using at home at the moment.
We picked up an open box, but it doesn't seem to hold back the odors as much as the hooded types do, but the hooded types are huge.

As far as the pellets, they work well and are easy cleanup (extremely inexpensive too), but I'd like to see what others have had success with.

Thanks!
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #2

City: Mansfield
I have a cat on my boat and I just use the standard stuff. I’m in a trawler and my back is closed in so that’s where the box stays. As for odors, I clean it everyday, and everyone is happy. Although for some reason my try’s to dig his way to China. We’ve been doing this for four years with out any issues.
Txgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Have been very satisfied with Sustainably Yours litter, made from corn and cassava:

https://sylitter.com/product-multi-cat/
Old 07-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Fair Play
Vessel Model: 1960 Taley 40' cruiser
We use an enclosed litter box. Keeps the litter contained. Also use walnut litter.
Attached Thumbnails
20210712_131902.jpg   20210618_202921.jpg  
alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:49 PM   #5

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I've been running a self cleaning box for 13 years, would not have a cat without one. If things on a boat worked as good and were as maintenance free as this device we would all be happy. Amazing device

The Brockerts

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Mirac...s%2C288&sr=8-5
The Brockerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Duvall
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Breeze works for us

We use Breeze system at home and on boat. The pellets are not cheap but for one tiny cat the 3.5 pound bag would last a month. There are pads underneath, think flat diapers, that soak up urine. Toss when full. No litter getting tracked all over the boat.

https://smile.amazon.com/Breeze-Cat-...6122959&sr=8-4
tisado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the ideas so far.
I do see on Boatgalley.com that the Breeze system gets a few recommendations as well.
https://theboatgalley.com/cat-litter-on-a-boat
It's been 4 years since we've had a cat, and after Ashley's first "dump" in the current litter box in the house, we quickly remembered that not so desirable smell.

I have not heard of walnut litter, but with 3 walnut trees on our property, maybe that's not a bad idea.

Looks like our aft cabin shower would be where we'd keep the box, except when taking showers obviously.

I don't know why we named her Ashley. At this point "Speedy" is a much more appropriate name.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashley1.jpg   Ashley2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
... It's been extremely nice not having to go to shore first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but we really miss some companionship. ...
You got the wrong cat. I had a cat for almost 20 years that was very companionable. It liked to sit in my lap as much as it could. This included when I was sitting on the toilet. Still miss him.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
If you had room for it, we've had great success with a Litter Robot automatic unit. But they're way too big for use on most boats.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
I have seen cats trained to use a toilet. As yours is young, I might investigate that option too. Good luck. Ashley is a cutie.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #11

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Another vote for the Breeze system. Have had it on the boat for 3 years and would never go back!
AdmiralS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I have seven land based cats so I have experience with litter.
I use Worlds Best Litter in the two boxes I have next to toilets. Itís flushable. It clumps well but the clumps break down quickly in water. Itís made of corn so I assume it eventually biodegrades.

I tried the Breeze system but my adult cats were reluctant to use it. Your kitten might take to it.

This style scoop is the best by far that Iíve ever tried. It picks up the clumps and turds and drains the clean litter very quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085QMHV38...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Attached Thumbnails
1B63BD13-9E4C-47FF-AA36-5B04E6A9982C.jpeg  
Old 07-12-2021, 10:58 PM   #13
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Most standard cat litter are Fullers earth. It also good for filtering the dye out of diesel.
So they tell me
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I have seen cats trained to use a toilet. As yours is young, I might investigate that option too. Good luck. Ashley is a cutie.
Tried it. Wasted my time and annoyed the cat.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Even if the product is claimed to be flushable you generally do not want to be introducing it to the waste system. Most systems are not typically designed to handle the potential parasites in animal waste (like t.gondii in cats). It IS a good idea to use compostable litter, like the kind most often claimed to be flushable. That is more likely to break down naturally as part of the solid waste trash system.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Great information. I do appreciate all the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
You got the wrong cat. I had a cat for almost 20 years that was very companionable. It liked to sit in my lap as much as it could. This included when I was sitting on the toilet. Still miss him.
Not sure what you mean.
We really miss the companionship of Sadie, but not the trips to shore all the time.
That's why we thought about a Boat Cat.

It's only been a few days now, but Ashley is quickly becoming Dad's cat. She follows me everywhere, and I can't sit in a chair without her perched on my neck. Love it!
Old 07-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Eagle Harbor
Vessel Name: Double Haven
Vessel Model: 40' Pacific Trawler
+1 Breeze. We have one for our apartment and our boat, and our girl had no problems migrating from Shweet Skoop (or whatever, they're wheat-based granules) to Breeze. Transformational, as my wife says.
CompuNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Cat looks at the owner and thinks, 'This is my boat and I let you stay on it.'

I dated a woman who had a cat. If the cat did not like the person, it would crap in his shoes, at night. I guess the cat liked me.

My older bro and his wife had a cat in their 12th floor condo
Their condo reeked of cedar spray to cover up the smell of the cat and its bi-product. The cat is still alive, sleeping most of time. The sister-in-law died, bro is in an assisted living home, the cat is still alive, close to 20 years old, living well at one of his son's place.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Click image for larger version

Name:	6219CF64-F744-4F18-980A-751113E2112D.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	119290
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:56 PM   #20

City: NE Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisado View Post
We use Breeze system at home and on boat. The pellets are not cheap but for one tiny cat the 3.5 pound bag would last a month. There are pads underneath, think flat diapers, that soak up urine. Toss when full. No litter getting tracked all over the boat.

https://smile.amazon.com/Breeze-Cat-...6122959&sr=8-4
not boat cats...but our current cat uses this. It's about the only thing she's taken to. I don't touch the thing so I can't speak to it's ease of use, etc... but I haven't heard wife and kids complaining about it.... and unless they let it go too long the smell doesn't bother me...and I have a very low tolerance for that!

She's a picky PIA cat and has not taken well to the myriad of things we've tried...and when we move the box or most anything different she'll start pooping around the house, including IN my bathroom sink (not my wife's...only mine!). She insists on having her box in what should be our formal living room....now relegated to center stage cat toilet and junk room.

I really pushed for and tried an enclosed top entry box to at least help keeping things contained & out of sight a bit...but it was a no go.

We've had the auto scooping motorized rake type boxes with previous cats. Interesting idea but the reality seemed to be still a lot of work...not worth it in my opinion.
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote