Boat Cards for the Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I just posted a couple of questions that have come up on our shakedown cruise, but this one is of less concern but one I want some opinions on.

We have yet to have cards made and are going to decide in the next couple of days what information to put on there. The first stop in our journey is a marina here in Florence Alabama, and it has a bulletin board full of these cards. That is great to get some ideas from. I haven’t even mentioned this to my wife yet but wanted to get some thoughts here. For some reason I find myself wondering if I should put Capt. on there in reference to myself. I have a US Coast Guard 50 ton masters license with a Sail endorsement. I’m not sure why but I wonder if I should include this information? I suspect my wife is going to say don’t draw attention to yourself in that way. To a degree I feel that way too but I also feel like I have earned it and I should include it.
Hopefully it will be fun for the respondents and just viewers to see the thoughts on this?

We didn’t put any titles on ours but then again it is your cards, put whatever you are comfortable with. As long as your wife is onboard with it. We did include our dog, Radar, on ours since the boat is named after him.

Regarding titles, most people you will likely hand it to aren't interested in doing business with you, more contact information for future friends. I only listed my credentials on a card if it was for business purposes.

When cruising for pleasure, I don't want the increased responsibility / liability a title may imply.

Ted

Rod
I'm not a fan of titles for ocasual acquaintances.
In addition to our contact info I decided to include some additional info on the backside such as: ABC instructor, vessel safety examiner and TF Site Tem - as I use the card for acquaintances that might have an interest in those organizations & activities. We met several TFers on an extended 2019 cruise... some pre-arranged and other by-chance meetings.
Noting a USCG 50T Certification on the reverse might be a compromise?

Technically, it's a Master's credential, not Captain. I wouldn't include it. It will come across as pretentious.

You may notice my own user ID here. I now wish I hadn't used that. I did that when I'd just gotten my 50 ton. A few of us would jokingly address each other as Captain, knowing full well we weren't really. In real life I'm a recreational boat owner, and a delivery skipper. Not a Captain.

To me there are boat cards and business cards.

Have a couple of both with you when out and about on the loop or really anytime.

By the time you are done with meeting/socializing, you will know which one to give.

Many on the loop or cruising seriously have 50T or better and it's not the license but the experience that really counts anyhow.

I gave up cards when I retired. Tossed 'em all in the trash. I like to present a low profile - :)

The most important function of a boat card is to provide contact information and allow people to remember you and your boat. If you have well developed skills that you want to offer for a fee, I think it's okay to advertise a bit (welder, electrician, HVAC, mechanic, seamstress, and yes, delivery skipper). But if you're puffing-up credentials, it's a small world and you'll do more damage than benefit. People will figure you our sooner rather than later.

Cruising community is full of some really experienced people who fly under the radar. You really don't want to be on the wrong end of a pissing contest.

Enjoy your journey

Peter

Our cards include a line drawing of the boat, the name of the boat and hailing port (same fonts as transom), our first names with each of our cell phone numbers, our VHF callsign, our MMSI, and our "boat" e-mail address. So far, I think I've actually given out about 3 cards (possibly because we're not really all that social). The backsides are good for small reminder notes to myself, though.

-Chris

Last edited:
We had a set of boat cards made up several years ago and have found them very handy during our travels. We included a line drawing of the boat, the name of the boat (same font as on the transom), VHF call sign, MMSI, Full Names, home port, mobile number (1). e-mail address (1). We have no "relevant" titles, but if we did, we would not use them on the cards.

Get some Avery business card stock from an office supply store and try out a few pages of each. 10 per page. I would not have batch of 500 made.

Get some Avery business card stock from an office supply store and try out a few pages of each. 10 per page. I would not have batch of 500 made.

:thumb:

That's what I did. With a printer onboard, as life changed and great photos of the boat cruising were taken, so were the cards.

Was also easy to make up both straight boat cards and modified business ones for the occasion or services rendered.

On my cards I list my spouse first as "Admiral", then myself as "Captain", although I am not an official captain. But then my spouse is not an official "Admiral". It's tongue in cheek.

I also provide our boat name, home address and both cell phone numbers.

pete

I used a business card with the boat picture on one side and information on the other. Using an online company, I think mine cost <$30. So if you're not happy with them, make another batch.

Mine included:

Boat make, model, and name.
My name, address, phone number, and email.

As I use a mailbox store (that doesn't require the box numbers) for mail, not really worried about junk mail or somebody showing up at, or robbing my house. As mailing addresses have become less and less relevant since I made my card 7 years ago, I might not include mine other than city and state.

Ted

We did two sets. One with the string of initials after our names and societies/clubs we have joined. Only made a few of those.
The big number were designed for cruising. Found people refer to you as a boat. So one side has a picture of the boat. A overlay lists boat name, home port, brand, model, hull number(not HIN), MMSI, call#. Other side picture of the two of us, names, public cell numbers, and public email accounts. No dirt dwelling address.
When international had a third set with just boat information and the back blank to be used to write on. We would commonly have a local phone and not use our personal phones. Same with email and had a email account tied to that local phone. Used these for marinas, boat workers/vendors and others with whom we only wanted to give out the bare minimum of necessary information.
I wouldn’t worry about liability as if you get sued that information is discoverable. But would worry about how you’re perceived. When cruising the most modest, low key, non flashy presentation seems to always be best. You can share your background when appropriate in a self effacing manner. Want first impression to be a average cruiser, without deep pockets just trying to get by and needing and willing to give help.
For people who became long term friends pretty much would share full contact information on our phones and cards were irrelevant.

Last edited:
Might seem simple, but not being a salesman, very few got cards.

Most people I figured I would never see again or they were in the category that I wouldn't care to see again or be contacted.

Many of the people I did see again and again were because crossing paths was common and the usually went right in my phone as I would see them later that day or soon enough.

So 100 cards would have lasted me probably 2-3 years plus of cruising 5-7 months of the year. As posted before, if and when I ran out.... I just printed up some more.

That pretty much matches the pile of other's cards I would go through after every trip, probably 80% got tossed withing a couple years.

Another thing to consider is boat stickers. It's all the rage (and I think, sometimes illegal) to stick them on lock walls and bollards and such. It's kinda fun to have something to look at while you're riding the lock up or down, and even a little exciting to see one you recognize. I know one guy who gives them out to customers and I've seen them stuck on things far from any place he's ever been. So far I'm just an observer, not sure I'm ready to order a batch of stickers with my own boat's name.

I wouldn’t put sticker on something that wasn’t mine. Too much visual pollution now with tagging, don’t need more.

Boat cards were a great tool for us. You’re at a social event or meeting an other boater, getting or giving a card was an easy way to get/give contact info plus I’m terrible at remembering names. When we were back on the boat I’d usually add the date, location, etc for future reference. It was great if you saw them later in an anchorage or at a dock with no pregnant pauses trying to remember their name(s).

Seasonally I would keep them in a 8.5x11” clear plastic business card organizer in a note book.

How much information do you put on a card? We had both our names, boat name, ham radio call sign and email address. The only address we included was a P.O. Box.

Occasionally I still look at our card collection and I can only smile. :D

Attachments

• AA070168-2BE9-4936-A464-5BAA52B0D414.jpg
    AA070168-2BE9-4936-A464-5BAA52B0D414.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 35
I use my boat cards in my normal non boating life too. I have the 3 names, emails and phone numbers and the photo of Black Dog that is in my aviator. I get them at Vista Print for about $25 for 500. So if I want to change something it isn’t very much money.

For those who want a line drawing, I had my avatar pic done in Fiverr.com for about $25.

Peter 1649435566552blob.jpg

I have a non-boat title that I am pretty proud and possessive of (DVM). I sign with it and use it in nearly all business correspondence.
Our boat card is one of the few places that I do not use it. It seems contraindicated in that setting. For us, boating is the definition of low key and 'informal'.
This approach could be just because I would instantly lose any boat or boating pissing match......we are pretty much lightweights compared to some of the amazing adventurers we run into, especially in Mexico.

Keep It Simple...

I keep it simple. A nice photo of the boat or a sailing scene, my name, cell number and an email address. The goal is to give folks something they can use to contact you later, if they want to.

When I get a card from someone, I always write the date and location on the back. A friend started me down that path about 35 years ago, and it's been really helpful.

Cheers!

I tried that website and it came up with something strange. Can you check it and make sure it is correct? Thanks.

Turns out I used Freelancer.com, a similar gig-economy website. Fiverr.com is correct and that would work too, but I used Freelancer.com as I sought out someone who did similar line drawings. I actually paid $45 for the work. The person I used was <Talha M.@talhaahsan>. I have found Freelancer to have a higher quality of work than Fiverr, but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

For those unfamiliar, this is micro-outsourcing. The talent is offshore, often India, but I've used people from all over the world. I've had several documents translated; voice-over for PowerPoint presentations, etc. Generally around $10-$20 hour for decent talent. You have to open an account and can either post a project and have people bid on it (you will get a ton of auto-emails); or search someone with work you like and negotiate directly with them.

I've mostly had good success with using Fiverr and Freelancer, but have had a few busts. Simple projects like a line-drawing are pretty straightforward. More complex work like creating an MP4 for a PowerPoint can be a bit wonky.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I never heard of that before. I want a good line drawing of our Formula. I will have to get a good profile photo and email it to your contact and see if they can/will do it.

Thanks, Peter. I never heard of that before. I want a good line drawing of our Formula. I will have to get a good profile photo and email it to your contact and see if they can/will do it.
Pick our some similar line drawings you find on the internet, including mine. First attempt wasn't very close to the mark - he had too much dark shading, and too much detail.

I only worked with him once. Not many pen and ink folks around anymore (I worked through university as a draftsman).

Good luck.

Peter

If you have a vocational high school or community College with graphic arts students, speak to an instructor and see if it can be a project or a student with a little talent that wants a few bucks or exposure.

Actually, with a decent profile picture, it's a pretty easy project for those with talent.

If you have a vocational high school or community College with graphic arts students, speak to an instructor and see if it can be a project or a student with a little talent that wants a few bucks or exposure.

Actually, with a decent profile picture, it's a pretty easy project for those with talent.

......talent and equipment.

I was a freelance technical illustrator for quite a few years doing mostly patent illustrations. I still have my old light box (perfect for tracing a photo) and India ink pens plus a bunch of French Curves and such in my cellar in Colorado 1800 miles away. I'm sure there is some software that can manipulate a photo, but for $25-$50, easier to just farm out to someone on the other side of the planet.

Peter

My 2 cents on boat cards...

My 2 cents on the subject:

We like to exchange boat cards. Our 3-ring binder with our collection is prized and frequently referenced to get in touch with the many friends we have met and made.

Instead of a picture of our boat, we have a picture of the two of US on our boat... head shot... w/ a boating scene background. (IMO: FACES of people we've met are more interesting to us than their boat.) Plus our boat's make and model, and hailing port will certainly change over time, so we leave those details out.

We keep the back of the card BLANK, so people can write the date and port or whatever else people want to write on the back. For the same reason, we select regular stock that a ball point pen or pencil can easily write on, as opposed to coated paper stock, that you need to go find a Sharpie to write with! LOL

Instaprint.com $50 for 1000 cards. Fast delivery.

No titles on our cards, even though I am a USCG master with endorsements for sailing and commercial towing.

I do put my Amateur Radio call sign on the card, which does mean something... but only to other "hams" who recognize what it is right away.
I also carry the word NEBO, so people know they can find us there.

We also put our MMSI number on the card, as some folks have figured out how to program that into their VHF radios to actually USE the handy Digital Selective Calling (DSC) feature! Only our closest boating friends bother. ((Admittedly, the MMSI number will possibly change, with a different boat.))

Lastly, our blog's URL... Shellerina.com, as we spend a fair amount of time blogging, and frequently picture new friends we meet on the blog if we've shared a meal or dock tails or a day touring ashore OR "on the road" together underway.

(Obviously: our preferred email address and cell number.)

Ray

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom