Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #101

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Odd... we took out grandchildren out on a faster boat (25 mph) and they became scared and wanted Poppy and Grammy’s slow boat.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #102
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: I'm not ever going to get so old that I want to go slow.

Really those who prefer slow as in 7 knots or so are a very small part of the total boating population. They're the population many here know best because they are around them most.

In South Florida we have:

Center Consoles, both fishing and family. Same need for speed as SF's, but faster. Very sizable group.

Cruisers and Runabouts, Sea Ray types, with many other brands tossed in. Cruise the coast, to the Bahamas, to the Keys. Normally limited time and speed is important. Large group.

Sportfishermen, got to go fast to get to the fish, time's a wastin'. Very sizable group.

Small "yachts". All 50-100', Princess, Prestige, Riva, Sunseeker, Azimut, Hatteras. In many areas this would be a small group, but it's large here.

Trawler types-semi displacement. This is the GB's, Marlows, Mainships, Swift Trawlers. Not a go slow group necessarily, but a go medium group. I'd say this group has shrunk with the demise of GB and the poor offerings. So smaller group. I include the Tugs in this but they're not much of a factor here anyway.

Mega Yachts-100'+. It looks like a huge group but that's because they're big. In terms of number of boats, it's a very small group even here. Now, speed wise, while many are capable of more, most do the majority of their cruising at around 12 knots.

Trawler types-full displacement, 8 knots or less. Nordhavn is the primary visibility of this group here with some KK tossed in. Definitely a very small group of boats in South Florida.

Now, this picture would look very different in other areas. Would love for someone to do a similar breakdown for their area with perhaps the same groupings.

Rank these groups
CC's
Cruisers and Runabouts
SF's
Yachts 50-100'
Trawler Type-Semi Displacement
Mega Yachts 100'+
Trawler type-full displacement.

I'd guess here the full displacement, go slow, trawler types are less than 2% of all boats. Toss in the Semi Displacement that many on here have and you'd then get over 5%.

Really two types of go slow groups here in SF, the Nordhavn/KK type at 6-7 knots and largely retired and in no hurry plus some are for long range cruising. Slow is very practical and less costly.

Then the mega yachts. Slow being 10-12 knots. Many are steel, full displacement, 14 knots max. Others can run 15 knots, some even cruise at 20 knots and many of these cruise faster when owner aboard, but a tremendous amount of their movement is only with crew and it's repositioning. They go slow for that to save money. Yes, owners of $40 million boats will have them repositioned at 10-12 knots to save money.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #103
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
Odd... we took out grandchildren out on a faster boat (25 mph) and they became scared and wanted Poppy and Grammy’s slow boat.
Wifey B: And our three year old niece and another three year old are as bad as me. We had to explain why we were so slow in a slow speed zone. Now the sea conditions might make a difference, but they both love 35 knots even.

Guess I corrupted them.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #104
Guru

Wifey B: One addendum to my post on boat types. Was power only. In some areas you'd find more sailboats than power.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #105
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
When I shopped for my boat, I was flexible regarding speed. I considered planing boats, SD, and full displacement. The main issue was I wanted a boat that I could use year round, in a variety of conditions. Not just when the weather was perfect.

I see boats that sit at the dock because it's too windy, because it's not windy enough, because its raining, because its a bit rough. I wanted a boat that could be used 75% of the year in an area that gets some ugly seas. It took some looking, but I found it.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #106
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm not ever going to get so old that I want to go slow.

Really those who prefer slow as in 7 knots or so are a very small part of the total boating population. They're the population many here know best because they are around them most.

In South Florida we have:

Center Consoles, both fishing and family. Same need for speed as SF's, but faster. Very sizable group.

Cruisers and Runabouts, Sea Ray types, with many other brands tossed in. Cruise the coast, to the Bahamas, to the Keys. Normally limited time and speed is important. Large group.

Sportfishermen, got to go fast to get to the fish, time's a wastin'. Very sizable group.

Small "yachts". All 50-100', Princess, Prestige, Riva, Sunseeker, Azimut, Hatteras. In many areas this would be a small group, but it's large here.

Trawler types-semi displacement. This is the GB's, Marlows, Mainships, Swift Trawlers. Not a go slow group necessarily, but a go medium group. I'd say this group has shrunk with the demise of GB and the poor offerings. So smaller group. I include the Tugs in this but they're not much of a factor here anyway.

Mega Yachts-100'+. It looks like a huge group but that's because they're big. In terms of number of boats, it's a very small group even here. Now, speed wise, while many are capable of more, most do the majority of their cruising at around 12 knots.

Trawler types-full displacement, 8 knots or less. Nordhavn is the primary visibility of this group here with some KK tossed in. Definitely a very small group of boats in South Florida.

Now, this picture would look very different in other areas. Would love for someone to do a similar breakdown for their area with perhaps the same groupings.

Rank these groups
CC's
Cruisers and Runabouts
SF's
Yachts 50-100'
Trawler Type-Semi Displacement
Mega Yachts 100'+
Trawler type-full displacement.

I'd guess here the full displacement, go slow, trawler types are less than 2% of all boats. Toss in the Semi Displacement that many on here have and you'd then get over 5%.

Really two types of go slow groups here in SF, the Nordhavn/KK type at 6-7 knots and largely retired and in no hurry plus some are for long range cruising. Slow is very practical and less costly.

Then the mega yachts. Slow being 10-12 knots. Many are steel, full displacement, 14 knots max. Others can run 15 knots, some even cruise at 20 knots and many of these cruise faster when owner aboard, but a tremendous amount of their movement is only with crew and it's repositioning. They go slow for that to save money. Yes, owners of $40 million boats will have them repositioned at 10-12 knots to save money.
That's because you live in south Florida, which has the highest ratio of go fast boats (and, people willing to run them fast in close quarters and heavy boat traffic) of any place I ever lived!

The funniest story being from a friend who worked at Cigarette, and actually watched one of their customers firewall his boat at their dock and run it up onto the bank across the canal from them!

They drive cars with just as much skill.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #107
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
That's because you live in south Florida, which has the highest ratio of go fast boats (and, people willing to run them fast in close quarters and heavy boat traffic) of any place I ever lived!

The funniest story being from a friend who worked at Cigarette, and actually watched one of their customers firewall his boat at their dock and run it up onto the bank across the canal from them!

They drive cars with just as much skill.
Up here in the Northeast marinas the number of power boats that are limited to hull speed are easily less than 5%. At our closest marina (Northport) the % is less than that but there are a few marinas in Ct where hull speed boats are much more common.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Wifey B: That's why I encourage those from other areas to respond. One NE reporter said more fast than slow. SF is made up of slow boats compared to the lake we lived on in NC.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #109

City: Washington
If I were to post a percentage of types of boats at my marina it would be vastly different than the percentage at a couple larger marinas ten miles away.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
If I were to post a percentage of types of boats at my marina it would be vastly different than the percentage at a couple larger marinas ten miles away.
Wifey B: Well, what about your area, including your marina and the couple of others? Mine were all of South Florida, not a specific marina or small area.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #111
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Boat buying blasphemy

Almost all marinas, north or south, that I visited, the sailboats outnumber the powerboats. (Some specific exceptions, high density fishing areas or shallow water entries for example). Consequently if I am running at 8-10 knots I am faster that more than 50% of the boats out there. (I am excluding trailer-launched boats on my little personal survey)

So if more than 50% of total boats out there are sailing or motoring at 8 knots or less, then it must be what the majority are comfortable with?

In reality all the posts of guesses of ratio of types of boats ‘out there’ can be substantiated with insurers statistics, I’m sure. Then they would need to be supplemented with exhaustive surveys of areas of use, frequency of use, percentage of liveaboards, active loopers, active other travelers and transients, loss histories and all the other variables that could possibly, just possibly, paint a hazy picture of what the true nature of boat ownership in any area really looks like.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Almost all marinas, north or south, that I visited, the sailboats outnumber the powerboats. (Some specific exceptions, high density fishing areas or shallow water entries for example). Consequently if I am running at 8-10 knots I am faster that more than 50% of the boats out there. (I am excluding trailer-launched boats on my little personal survey)

Wifey B: Marinas around us like 10:1 or maybe even 20:1 Power vs. Sail. Not even Sails Marina has any sailboats. Where oh where have they all gone.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #113
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I dunno. Seems unlikely that they evaporated. Just drove by a huge marina here in Olympia (Swantown? something like that?). It was all of 75/25 sail/power.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
I dunno. Seems unlikely that they evaporated. Just drove by a huge marina here in Olympia (Swantown? something like that?). It was all of 75/25 sail/power.
Wifey B: Most are not going to pay FLL marina rates. Yes, I've seen the Washington marinas and many other places, just not that way here.