Old 08-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
The Thrifty Boater . . .

I was at the marina yesterday, working on boat things, when the guy in the slip next to me pulled out and headed off. A transit, slip. But I saw that he had left a 30-amp shore power cable lying curled up on the dock, so I called him on the VHF and told him that he had left his shore power cable on the dock.

He answered me and said that he had left it because it was no good, and that he had meant to throw it in the trash. He asked me if I would dispose of it for him. Well, sure. No problem.

So I looked at it. Nice new-looking cable, about 25' I think, yellow in color. Looked OK to me, but when I looked at the female end of it I saw what he meant. FUBAR! One of the hot lines on the plug was burnt and charred and big as a dime! Whoa!

So, being thrifty, I thought about what I might be able to do with it. I hate to throw anything away, and the male end looked just fine. As did everything except that one burnt place.
Final decision: I'm going to cut the bad plug off and run the wires into a plastic box with four AC receptacles. I think that might come in handy.

Just saying. :-) Slow day, so thought I would post some trivia.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
For about $20 you can buy a replacement connector.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I was at the marina yesterday, working on boat things, when the guy in the slip next to me pulled out and headed off. A transit, slip. But I saw that he had left a 30-amp shore power cable lying curled up on the dock, so I called him on the VHF and told him that he had left his shore power cable on the dock.

He answered me and said that he had left it because it was no good, and that he had meant to throw it in the trash. He asked me if I would dispose of it for him. Well, sure. No problem.

So I looked at it. Nice new-looking cable, about 25' I think, yellow in color. Looked OK to me, but when I looked at the female end of it I saw what he meant. FUBAR! One of the hot lines on the plug was burnt and charred and big as a dime! Whoa!

So, being thrifty, I thought about what I might be able to do with it. I hate to throw anything away, and the male end looked just fine. As did everything except that one burnt place.
Final decision: I'm going to cut the bad plug off and run the wires into a plastic box with four AC receptacles. I think that might come in handy.

Just saying. :-) Slow day, so thought I would post some trivia.
Good find. When I find those burned shore power cords, I replace the burned connector and sell the cord on Craig's List or swap meets.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote