Old 04-15-2018, 01:51 AM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
That is your FL tax sticker and has nothing to do with Federal Documentation of a vessel.
It is the Florida State Registration sticker. I made it clear it was Florida Registration in my post.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #102
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
2 things, the USCGAUX can NOT board you without a real coastie on board as "the boarding officer". The have ZERO enforcement authority except the qualified fishing boat examiners (forget their real title) and even then its limited to only the program outline.

Stockers from the USCGAUX and others may only get you out of a USCG boarding in rare cases in my experience. Because the stickers dont mean you are safe and compliant that particular day, only thatvar some point you knew what was reauired to be on board to meet a minimum.I used to tell my boarding teams to ignore them because the worst boaters I knew got them hoping the coasties wouldnt board them at their worst.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #103
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
They USCGAUX is supposed to watch you put the sticker on your boat so they know it went on the right boat.
NOW, question. What side of the boat should the sticker be suck?
I have mind on the dock side, port but, am I correct?
Dock side can changed..... I am thinking it should be on the helm side but, I dont know.

I invited a LEO onboard.... showed him around the boat. He was impressed with the two Flir cameras.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:02 AM   #104
Guru

as you said before, you knew more than the examiner ( not hard if you are an experience cruiser), so why bother with the exam/sticker?

Sure another set of eyes, but......in my experience..... not worth the effort as most any avid cruiser should be way beyond a USCGAUX sticker and newbies are often led astray by woefully inadequate experience/opinions.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
as you said before, you knew more than the examiner ( not hard if you are an experience cruiser), so why bother with the exam/sticker?

Sure another set of eyes, but......in my experience..... not worth the effort as most any avid cruiser should be way beyond a USCGAUX sticker and newbies are often led astray by woefully inadequate experience/opinions.
Hey, she was new and I considered it an educational opportunity for her.
On your doc number and tonnage, remember to put the dot.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 AM   #106

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Lots of discussion on this which is the same reason why I always invite a boarding.

5 years ago in another area of Florida, we were boarded while on our 23í boat. The boarding officer was young. He was professional but far from polite, to the point that my young son asked why he was treating us like ďbad guys.Ē

This was enough to prompt a phone call to his C.O. who was very professional AND polite and said he would address it.

This C.O. was also the same guy who mentioned the Hamilton letter that I now carry on the big boat.

For the new guys itís an education piece, for the older ones, a subtle reminder.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #107
Guru

IF as one contributor mentioned, a guardsman came onboard without his knowledge while he was underway, I guess from the swim platform..... If that happens to me, I hope he knows CPR and the location of my AED because he is going to need it. LOL
Old 04-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #108
Guru

K9medic....

this part of the letter was the mantra of every minute of duty I served for 23 years. Those that didnt abide by it were disciplined quickly.

Even after dramatic rescues or failed attempts where rescue crews were berated by survivors, families or media.... rescue crew kept their mouths tightly shut. A proud bunch of mostly exceptional people....but alas not all.

from Hamilton's letter....

"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #109
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if government officials monitor boating threads to select boardings of particular boats.
I worked as a federal agent for twenty one years. You give us way too much credit in the "give a damn" category.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #110

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
been boarded once. I have nothing good to say about it. Not as bad as customs and border protection, but close.

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #111
Guru

Anyone know the form number to get the custom's sticker?
Can it be done on line?

I tried once in the port of Ft Lauderdale, they sent me to "preferred traveler". I thought I was in Cuba. The crowd was huge. I'm thinking it was not the right place so I left.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #112
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I have the links to everything on here. The DTOPS piece is what I believe you are asking about.

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I have the links to everything on here. The DTOPS piece is what I believe you are asking about.

Getting Documentation Ready For The Bahamas | AtAnchor.com
With all those requirements, maybe I will just go instead to Ohio.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #114
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
An article at the link below provides a concise overview of the authority for a USCG boarding (NOT a USCG Auxiliary examination or a state/local law enforcement vessel stop).

The Fourth Amendment Rights vs. Boarding Power of the United States Coast Guard - https://mblb.com/admiralty-maritime/...s-coast-guard/
Old 04-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #115
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
ALEXANDER HAMILTON'S LETTER OF INSTRUCTIONS TO THE COMMANDING OFFICERS OF THE REVENUE CUTTERS
Treasury Department, June 4th, 1791

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Jul/0...LTONLETTER.PDF
Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #116
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if government officials monitor boating threads to select boardings of particular boats.

Donít forget your tinfoil hat when you step outside of your pilothouse Mark. ;-)

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #117
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Donít forget your tinfoil hat when you step outside of your pilothouse Mark. ;-)
If I am that important to the government, I do wish they would pay me more.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #118
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
An article at the link below provides a concise overview of the authority for a USCG boarding (NOT a USCG Auxiliary examination or a state/local law enforcement vessel stop).

The Fourth Amendment Rights vs. Boarding Power of the United States Coast Guard - https://mblb.com/admiralty-maritime/...s-coast-guard/
see post 66.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #119

City: Carrollton, Va
I've seen my old man tell the USCG no a couple of times. He said "If you have to ask then no. Otherwise prove you can board then come on." They stumble over their words some then just drive off.

1 time he was close to the marina and was having engine problems (single screw) and the CG was trying to get him to stop for a "safety inspection". He said I'm having engine problems, my marina is right there and that's where I'm going. I'm not going to stop, you can hear the motor acting up so go ahead and do whatever you think you need to do. The CG said have a nice day, get to the dock safely.

In my area, this Homeland Security crap has gone to their head. They have no concept of safe speed or bear steerage. They can't even gently land along side a boat in the calm river and they are clueless when it comes to the ColRegs.

I have no problem giving them a smile and wave when they roll by, but too many times they roll up with an attitude.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #120
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
K9medic....

this part of the letter was the mantra of every minute of duty I served for 23 years. Those that didnt abide by it were disciplined quickly.

Even after dramatic rescues or failed attempts where rescue crews were berated by survivors, families or media.... rescue crew kept their mouths tightly shut. A proud bunch of mostly exceptional people....but alas not all.

from Hamilton's letter....

"They will always keep in mind that their countrymen are freemen, and, as such, are impatient of everything that bears the least mark of a domineering spirit. They will, therefore, refrain, with the most guarded circumspection, from whatever has the semblance of haughtiness, rudeness, or insult."
Yep, Freemen. Right up until you take your boat away from the dock. Then you live at the discretion of the USCG and how they feel that day. But again, I have never been boarded and have the utmost respect for their mission and abilities as public servants. My uncle was in the CG and earned several commendations for saving lives, to me that is the Coast Guard. My father had his bacon saved once as well in AK when the engine in his old tug died close to the rocks. What I don't like is how the govt in its infinite wisdom saw fit to allow the CG to have the level of power that they do as regards the boarding of vessels minding their own business and bothering no one. It amounts to harassment and all the suck up language I have seen here about being polite, "they have many guns" etc., does not detract from the basic fact that when you are boarded by the CG for no reason other than bogus inspections, it is an undeniable but acceptable to most loss of freedom.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote