Old 04-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #21

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
I have been boarded multiple times. This has always been at my request though in my big boat though.

The local Coast Guard station near me is a training ground and I would rather expose new Coastie‘s to big boats before they go to other populated areas where they would cause issues.

Most of the kids have never been on a boat bigger than the one they are boarding from. A lot of the time there are two ribs out and they are practicing towing each other and setting anchors. This should give you an indication as to how new they are.

I personally keep all of my documentation in a binder and present it to them. The very first section of the binder is Alexander Hamilton‘s letter to the revenue service.

The experienced coxswains know who I am and always take a moment to ask the new kids if they know the significance of that letter.

This has developed a great working relationship between the local guys and myself when they see me on the water.

Several weeks ago, I was using my dinghy to pull a disabled boat back to the dock. They had the audacity to stop me as I was dragging this boat. I was only about 100 yards from the boat ramp and they had me stop completely.

One of the new kids came up to me and got my information. When he walked it back to the coxswain, the coxswain said “we know him, he’s good” and I went on my way.

Unfortunately for me in my area, the Coast Guard auxiliary thinks that it has more power than it really does. As a whole, they tend to harass boaters in our area and I have personally observed them be sent away by local law-enforcement officers.

I know there are some good volunteers, but as the saying goes, one bad apple.

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hmm, my sticker actually came with the document. I’m heading over now, so I’ll check it out.
Donna, if you used a documentation company to do your paperwork when you bought the boat they may have sent everything through to you together. So you probably got you doc cert and state tag in the one mailing. In future you will renew these separately.

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
This was a first for me. Cruising down the estuary into Alameda, got boarded by the Coast Guard. They ran down a list of safety items, etc. I had most of it, but my Coast Guard documentation was, of course, expired by 2 weeks, DOH!

They said I may or may not get a call regarding them issuing a fine, or something to that effect.

Does this happen frequently?
Apply for the update to your documentation NOW. It will show it was an honest oversight on your part and you quickly corrected it.
Thank them for pointing out this discrepancy.
That's the best you can do.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Last time i was boarded they took my passengers aboard the coast guard Boat and provided a pilot to drive my boat to the dock.
They took your passengers to the USCG boat and your boat to the dock for a further inspection? What was their reasoning?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
I have been boarded multiple times. This has always been at my request though in my big boat though.

I personally keep all of my documentation in a binder and present it to them. The very first section of the binder is Alexander Hamilton‘s letter to the revenue service.

The experienced coxswains know who I am and always take a moment to ask the new kids if they know the significance of that letter.

I know there are some good volunteers, but as the saying goes, one bad apple.
Letter by Hamilton ??
Perhaps you will provide us a copy for our binders?

The last time I had a USCG volunteer on my boat, I knew more than she did.
I considered it an opportunity to expand her expected knowledge. It was fun and I'm sure she will remember what she learned.

Reminds me, I need that voluntary inspection again. Mine is maybe 3 years old. In my cases, everything is up to date and the inspection is a snap.

They are supposed to watch you apply the sticker to your vessel. Something else she didn't know.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Not sure what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
You can’t just claim to have a documented vessel. You actually have the document and a sticker with the expiration date on port window. It must be renewed yearly.
You get no sticker with USCG documentation, or at least I have never received one.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #27
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Any Canadians boarded/inspected by Canadian Coast Guard?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #28
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
No coast guard where I am except during canada day weekend, but seen people boarded by OPD. Each year though the guards offer free inspection at my marina when they come aboard on your request to inspect security items and if you are compliant they give you a sticker mentioning that this boat has been inspected at a given date and is compliant.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
BTW another inspection I have been through a couple of times was when we kept the boat at a marina. A CG inspector came down the dock and told me he as coming aboard to do a MSD inspection. He poured a dye into both heads and flushed. Then went outside and watched for the dye. He didn't bother checking y-valves or through hulls - just the dye test.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
One USCG boarding in the bay, and one USCG/Fed "interview" offshore for drugs.

In CA, no stickers or external stuff needed when Fed documented. Just an up to date doc on hand, and the numbers need to be permanently a-fixed in the engine room, certain size lettering, and font if you read the fine print.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #31

City: Alexander
Got boarded so many times on trips back and forth to Bimini in the 80’s finally carried a letter from my attorney.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
BTW another inspection I have been through a couple of times was when we kept the boat at a marina. A CG inspector came down the dock and told me he as coming aboard to do a MSD inspection. He poured a dye into both heads and flushed. Then went outside and watched for the dye. He didn't bother checking y-valves or through hulls - just the dye test.
That's the FRE inspection (Florida Revenue Enhancement). No other purpose than to add money to the county's budget.

I went through one of those at Daytona Beach (Halifax Harbor). At 7am my boat was surrounded by Sheriff Deputy's and the CG had people there as well. They woke us up (Me, my wife and 4 year old son), made us come out on deck. Oh, and they weren't nice or courteous about it either.

The CG had their inflatable boat with the automatic weapon mounted on front and a PO at the ready.

They did their flush, went through the boat. At the end all the jack boot thugs could complain about was the location of my state sticker and gave me a warning about it.

My wife and son were terrified. Absolutely unprofessional and abuse of power. Later that morning I asked the dock master about it and he said they were able to fine 10 boats.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Any Canadians boarded/inspected by Canadian Coast Guard?
our
If a US vessel is in Canadian water or a Canadian vessel is in US waters, they can be boarded. This happens frequently in the Great Lakes.

If you US vessel is in any foreign waters, you can be boarded by that county's coast guard. End of story.

It doesnt matter if you are officially "documented" or not.... You may be boarded.

There used to be a pendant one could fly if you were US documented vessel but, I think that was only good in US waters.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #34
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
our
If a US vessel is in Canadian water or a Canadian vessel is in US waters, they can be boarded. This happens frequently in the Great Lakes.

If you US vessel is in any foreign waters, you can be boarded by that county's coast guard. End of story.

It doesnt matter if you are officially "documented" or not.... You may be boarded.

There used to be a pendant one could fly if you were US documented vessel but, I think that was only good in US waters.
Not what I asked, but thanks anyways.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #35
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Ditto. We use the boat in the winter, the Coasties get bored so we get boarded generally once a year. Never seen any girl Coasties but there must be some of them. Otherwise, how would you get boy Coasties?
I’d board you too just to look around that kickass boat of yours.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardog View Post
Got boarded so many times on trips back and forth to Bimini in the 80’s finally carried a letter from my attorney.
No doubt very annoying. They were using you and your vessel as a training aid for the newbie CG folks.

I know of one guy, got boarded, provided sandwiches and coffee and soft drinks (pop) to the guardsman. While onboard the guardsman were freshly fed and when they finished with the inspection, they swapped places with the guardsman left onboard the RIB. Obviously, the inspection took a lot longer than usual but as his reward, they didn't bother him again. Sometimes it pays to be nice to the guys with the guns.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fairport, NY and Palm Coast, FL
It really helps to have a deep V hull in an ocean swell to speed these inspections along.
There was a non-compliant MSD on board, but I was able to lead the guardsman around long enough in the bilge to get him sick. The dude with the clipboard got impatient. Then they all left.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #38
Guru

I invited the local police to bring their drug dog on board for training.
They thanked me and said, they were too busy doing the real searches.

See, they didn't find the 40 tons of grass nor the 200 illegal aliens hidden in the bilges. TEASING

I try to follow all the rules, regulations and laws because even at 75 years old, I am still too pretty to go to prison and those cavity searches aint no fun. Lemme give you one bit of advice when under going a cavity search, that is not the time to yell out, "Oh baby!" Even my doctor didn't see the humor in that. One year he made his request, I told him, "Not without dinner and a movie." LOL He cancelled that exam.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #39
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
everyone has A story or 2, not the usual situation with USCG boardings.

Early 1980s in Miami... different story back then...

Every story that contains the phrase "jack booted thugs" I put in the file with college peacenicks holding a rally and spitting on any and all uniforms.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Houston
A little professionalism and courtesy go a long way.

When the beer bellied Deputy is treating you and your family like a drug bust, and uniformed members of the CG are decked out in SWAT gear with loaded weapons, all because they want to check a sanitation device, the lost respect comes out.

CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote