Blue Water Capable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Direct, meaning Bermuda-Azores-Portugal.

Or also potentially the northern route. Up the East Coast, Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland?

The latter could expand the number of boats that could do it.

Defever 49. Definitely. Hop east coast to Bermuda then Azores then Gibraltar.

Definitely Defever 49. Comfortable and safe.

Been on TF for a bit now and have seen lots of great debate on many topics. My question is this......aside from Kady Krogans and Nordhavens, what are other boat brands that offer a trawler that can cross an ocean without the added price for just those two name brands?
Hello! I have researched this topic a lot. What I have come up with is the Nordhavn Coastal Pilot and the Island Packet PY41. I have seen nice ones under $250k.

Last edited:
You would certainly want a power boat with a CE Class A ocean going certification or equivalent. This is a boat seaworthy in up to 40 knot winds and 13 - 20 foot waves. This means a trawler/powerboat from at a minimum from 50 to 66 feet. Unfortunately, most of the power boats in this category run from $1 million used (15 - 20 years old) to $3.5 million new. This assumes these boats are well maintained and equipped. Assuming you find something cheaper the investment in equipment and repair will send you right back up to these prices.

Although many of these boats have great range up to 2,000 nm or more many would need supplemental fuel bladders to make an Atlantic crossing to provide a minimum 3,000 nm range.

Good luck on your efforts.

Another way to approach this problem is to buy a coastal cruiser and operate in the USA for a while. Then ship the boat to the EU, and operate there. I looked into this last year. Rough numbers are $30K 1-way for a 40' boat, FL to Mediterranean. Return shipment back to USA is one option. So is selling the boat in the EU. I have a lot of USA cruising to do before this becomes a consideration...

Suggest essential reading Voyaging under Power By Robert Bebe and updated by others would say that it has a lot of useful information hints and recommendations and a list of capable boats. Seatons spring to mind. Each individual has certain requirements they want met, build that on top of the essential ones and find the boat that suits.

My goal is long range coastal cruising in Australia so draft is an issue for some of the coastal areas that i want to access different strokes for different boats.

Krogen 42's come in a wide range of prices and may be capable of meeting your requirement. A Krogen 42 named Dauntless has been all over the world. Google the name... he had a blog going telling of his adventures and travels.

My Krogen 39 has a John Deere Engine... 115 horse w/ turbo. I carry 700 gallons of fuel. Speed is slow... 6 to 8 knots, but the range at 6 knots (according to Krogen's specs) is over 4000 miles.

A Willard 36 to Hawaii and back. Beebe mentions the Willard 40 as being a passagemaker, and it's one of the most affordable.

Absolutely true - the archives for Willard Boat Owner's has a copy of a letter dated 1987 from the then-owner to Willard Marine describing the trip from San Diego to Hawaii. They departed around September 1987 and arrived in Hawaii about 15-days later, about 2200 nms. They burned 330 gallons of diesel for a burn rate of 0.9 gph and an average speed of about 6-1/4 kts. Here is a video of the boat when she was for sale in 2013. Depending on condition and equipment, these boats go for around $60k to $100k when they come up for sale.

https://youtu.be/0KNpJrXtKUs

Krogen 42's come in a wide range of prices and may be capable of meeting your requirement. A Krogen 42 named Dauntless has been all over the world. Google the name... he had a blog going telling of his adventures and travels.

Or just go back up to Richard's post, #27! :angel::socool:

Jim

Absolutely true - the archives for Willard Boat Owner's has a copy of a letter dated 1987 from the then-owner to Willard Marine describing the trip from San Diego to Hawaii. They departed around September 1987 and arrived in Hawaii about 15-days later, about 2200 nms. They burned 330 gallons of diesel for a burn rate of 0.9 gph and an average speed of about 6-1/4 kts. Here is a video of the boat when she was for sale in 2013. Depending on condition and equipment, these boats go for around $60k to $100k when they come up for sale.

https://youtu.be/0KNpJrXtKUs

Way too many bunks. Fill up those berths, I dont see where they can hide all the food for 14 days.
According to published data, my AT34 at 1000 RPM, average speed of 6.25 knots and burns 1 GPH. I carry 400gal of fuel.
No idea if it is possible to install hyd. stabilizers nor can I see how to add as many berths which I think is good planning WINK

Last edited:
Way too many bunks. LOL
According to published data, my AT34 at 1000 RPM, average speed of 6.25 knots and burns 1GPH.
No idea if it is possible to install hyd. stabilizers nor can I see how to add as many berths which I think is good planning WINK
Ha! These were semi custom built to order. The original owner would have specified if he wanted changes to the original plan. Of the 39 W36 hulls built between 1961 and 1970, six were pilot house versions such as this, two or three were motor Sailors, and the rest were sedan "trawlers" such as my 1970 Willard 36, the last one built. Most have the head in the forepeak with only a shower on the aft deck. Bunks were facing one another (sometimes over/under bunks for four people similar to sailboats of the era).

List price for these in 1966 was $38k, or just over $300k in 2020 dollars. Base price on the last W40 in 2002 was close to the N40s after production moved from to China from the old Pacific Seacraft yard - just over $400k, though many more upgrades were available in 2002 than 1966.

Bunch of boats are “Blue Water Capably” doesn’t mean the crew is. Takes a ton of preparation to cross oceans. We have done our fair share of cruising, no desire to cross big ponds. Been there and done that, thanks to US Navy. Just saying, and good luck.

The number of power boaters that really want to do serious +2,000 nm blue water voyaging is surprisingly short.

I would posit that nobody should be surprised that the list of power boaters who want to do blue water crossings is extremely short. The smallest vessel I ever crossed the Pacific in (eight times) was 1600 tons and 205 feet long, and I swore that that would be my downward limit.

Thanks for all the input......I am definitely not looking to make a habit out of crossing oceans.....more like bouncing along coasts more like this route in summer times for the trip over:

https://www.passagemaker.com/lifestyle/on-the-trail-of-vikings

I plan to actually retire to sochi Russia (maintaining a small dirt residence) so maybe one Atlantic crossing and maybe the same heading east to the pacific. No way I want to spend 21 days in open water consistently, but with the money spent on a good boat I want a "jack of all trades" model or as close as I can get just in case......the motto for me is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I dont want to sink 500k into a boat only to realize it cant do it. I though of sail but reading on here many have said by the time you replace rigging over the life of the boat, the costs even out.... not sure if thats accurate or not as I have never "sailed." I plan to travel frequently until age overtakes things but mainly stay within short travel distance from a coast line for as much of my trips as possible. I am not a Navy guy and videos of those ships being tossed around in major storms is enough to make me avoid this unless necessary. :eek:

The boat only plays a small part ,I've done 8000 miles in a year on both sail and trawler style boats , both heavy boats a Formossa 50 ketch and I currently own a Nova Europa 40 twin diesel.
Both these boat go offshore ,and I mean out of site of land, real ocean type stuff closest land 200 miles .12000 ft deep .South Pacific .
The boats are comfortable but need the nut behind the wheel ( me ) to make decisions on speed ,direction to a degree ,crew capabilities ,weather to turn back ,carry on ,or change destinations .The boats handled properly will usually out do the people on it . A fright teashes you a lot .

If I were crossing oceans I'd look to a solid motorsailer like a Nauticat, Fisher, or one of the old Cheoy Lee motorsailers These have proven offshore capability. They offer good accommodations and security. Even if I had the money to buy a Nordhavn or KK, I'd still prefer the security of being able to sail in the open ocean

Another way to approach this problem is to buy a coastal cruiser and operate in the USA for a while. Then ship the boat to the EU, and operate there. I looked into this last year. Rough numbers are $30K 1-way for a 40' boat, FL to Mediterranean. Return shipment back to USA is one option. So is selling the boat in the EU. I have a lot of USA cruising to do before this becomes a consideration...

Yep, you can ship whatever boat you own and enjoy!

"I am not a Navy guy and videos of those ships being tossed around in major storms is enough to make me avoid this unless necessary."

Most of the big wave horror scenes are winter storms or hurricanes.

Most , but not all, rough passages can be avoided by seasonal planning.

Tho even just coasting in the right season,,, "Stuff Happens".

Last edited:
"I am not a Navy guy and videos of those ships being tossed around in major storms is enough to make me avoid this unless necessary."

FF, not everyone can be perfect. :whistling:

Sea story time: While on t Ihe DD881, we refueled while mid Atlantic. It was more than a bit rough. The deck crew got the lines and refueling hose over.... the oil and our DD matched speed. The oiler was on 2 waves and at times the oiler's bow was on one wave, the stern on another wave and the midship was riding on air.
When the oiler came down, its decks were awash.
I felt sorry for the crew of the oiler.

Last edited:
Alternative - Have The Boat Shipped

First let me say that I have no interest in crossing the ocean in a boat, especially one under 70 feet. However, you have mentioned your main interest as wanting to take long voyages up and down the coasts in both America and in Europe. That idea has one I've thought of and seem's attractive.

When I was thinking about that, my thought was to have my boat shipped to the overseas port on a ship. From a cost POV, I remember when looking this option some years ago, it was favorable. Especially as you wouldn't have to have a boat with the needed redundant systems and build to make a crossing. Beyond that though, you wouldn't have to personally make the crossing! Again, as stated, I have talked about crossing the ocean blue (primarily with sailors) and have no interest in doing so. Just an idea to consider if you may feel the same, but want to cruise across the pond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, a long time ago I had purchased an outboard from Al Grover marine in Freeport NY for my first boat. His son Al Jr. told me how his dad had taken him on the crossing to Portugal in a 26 foot Groverbuilt skiff with a single Evinrude outboard. He didn't enjoy it!
(check out algroversmarine.com/our-story/transatlantic-journey)

Enjoy!

I have also thought about putting our boat on a ship, but when I add up the costs, and worry she is being treated ok on the journey when I am not there, I get cold feet. Possibly one of these days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, a long time ago I had purchased an outboard from Al Grover marine in Freeport NY for my first boat. His son Al Jr. told me how his dad had taken him on the crossing to Portugal in a 26 foot Groverbuilt skiff with a single Evinrude outboard. He didn't enjoy it!
(check out algroversmarine.com/our-story/transatlantic-journey)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link. That is some story. Lots of crazy record setters out there.

I remember reading about Robert Mannery when I was in Elementary School who in 1965,
crossed from Massachusetts to England in a 13.5 foot sailboat in 78 day's! At the time, I had aspirations to do something similar. I had an 8' El Torro at the time and spent 6 days sailing back and forth on a lake near my house non stop. Cured me of that crazy notion.

The record for the smallest boat to sail across the Atlantic is 5' 4" and took him 105 days!

"I have also thought about putting our boat on a ship, but when I add up the costs, and worry she is being treated ok on the journey when I am not there, I get cold feet. Possibly one of these days."

Me too, thats why I think one answer is a" box boat" that can fit in a locked container for shipping and storage.

Make a sketch 39x7.5 isn't bad volume.

A boat that is narrow is EZ to push and with a good design could live 2 almost forever as a coastal cruiser vast food ,water , and fuel storage is not required . 4 for a weekend or week should be tolerable.

"I have also thought about putting our boat on a ship, but when I add up the costs, and worry she is being treated ok on the journey when I am not there, I get cold feet. Possibly one of these days."

Me too, thats why I think one answer is a" box boat" that can fit in a locked container for shipping and storage.

Make a sketch 39x7.5 isn't bad volume.

A boat that is narrow is EZ to push and with a good design could live 2 almost forever as a coastal cruiser vast food ,water , and fuel storage is not required . 4 for a weekend or week should be tolerable.

There was an article in a boat magazine, Passagemaker or Woodenboat, about someone designing and building a boat designed specifically to fit into a shipping container.

It's a interesting option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom