Blister Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A survey without pictures, probably not Nams or Sams. Get a bid for strip at haul out, get a survey consideration for that amount. You will pay for the amount of repair, epoxy, type of paint, how many coats, waterline strip.

I might be more concerned about the 5000 hours on the Perkins.

Color from the seller? In the end, buyers responsibility.

Rocky Point would be my choice and not till next winter.

Good Luck!

Agree 100% ... we have put it under contract and hired a different surveyor than last time ... SAMS accredited and highly recommended by multiple disinterested sources. Also found the mechanic that has done work on this particular boat to handle mechanical/sea trial. I was concerned about the engine hours as well, but we're getting a pretty good price as far as I can tell (accounting for the hours) and putting aside a pretty good chunk for an engine reserve just for major engine work/overhaul/etc (in addition to other maintenance reserves). Mechanic also spoke very highly of this one. Surveys and trial next week.

Five thousand hours on a Perkins or a Lehman is not a concern per se. If you have time to do some research, you will find that they are good for 15,000 - 20,000 hours, sometimes more. Those engines are just barely broken in. The boat will go to the scrap yard before those engines die.
Agree 100% ... we have put it under contract and hired a different surveyor than last time ... SAMS accredited and highly recommended by multiple disinterested sources. Also found the mechanic that has done work on this particular boat to handle mechanical/sea trial. I was concerned about the engine hours as well, but we're getting a pretty good price as far as I can tell (accounting for the hours) and putting aside a pretty good chunk for an engine reserve just for major engine work/overhaul/etc (in addition to other maintenance reserves). Mechanic also spoke very highly of this one. Surveys and trial next week.

Also found the mechanic that has done work on this particular boat to handle mechanical/sea trial.

This is the last person you want to evaluate the engine, tantamount to the fox watching the henhouse. Seriously, even with the best of intentions, the person who has been maintaining the engine will not be self-critical, nor will he find things wrong that he's missed up to this point, and finally he has an allegiance to his original client, the owner, again even if unintentional.

The best people to do surveys are those with no connections to the boat, owner, or brokers.

More on engine surveys here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/the-art-of-the-engine-survey/

And https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/...vey-Reports-Deciphering-and-Understanding.pdf

Back
Top Bottom