Old 07-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #1

City: SEATTLE
Blister Boat Brian's Survey

"Partial Survey" I wanted to get a head start on estimates that NEED to be fixed. And Cale sent this to me. He spent 10 hours on the boat with me and some wanted to see this. 1987 CHB PONDEROSA

" The major deficiencies are:

Shaft seal needs adjustment or repack.

Engine exhaust hose is cracked and leaking. Needs to be replaced.

Bilge pump float switch is inoperable. Needs to be repaired or replaced.

Shower sump pump float switch is inoperable. Needs to be repaired or replaced.

I recommend waiting until you get the finished Marine Survey Report. The report will include pictures and better detail that will assist the service person when trying to come up with an estimate. I will be working on your report on Sunday, and should have the finished version delivered to you by Monday evening.

Thanks,

Cale Mathers
Marine Surveyor - SAMS® AMS® #1156
Mathers Marine Survey LLC
360.202.7700 "
Ducatihottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
None of those are a big deal.

The blisters you mention in the other thread would be a showstopper, for me. Especially after seeing PSN's threads on his similar issues...

-Chris
Old 07-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

Agree. But I did pay for my first survey and I'm a little proud that I picked someone as knowledgeable as Cale, (with this boards help).

The exhaust hose sounds tricky to replace as it's difficult to get to and thread it to the back of the boat, (so I was told). Maybe costly?

Shaft seal re packing sounded like it could be repacked and a few screws tightened, (so I was told by both Kevin Ambrose my Mechanical Inspector and "Cale").

An I to assume that the two "floats" that are NOT working are like the floats in my toilet? What happens if the floats work BUT the wiring needs fixed. Or the electrical connections are broke? Everything electrical is expensive, NO?

What would be the most costly repair above? Any estimates on any of these repairs?
Old 07-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Not exactly. The float switches are (usually DC) electrical devices that turn on a bilge pump (or a bilge pump in a shower sump) to get some water off the boat.

Cheap ones cost $35 or whatever, good ones (Ultra Senior) cost $175 or whatever. (Just guessing.)

Many of the cheap ones tend to be a pivoting arm; when the arm lifts high enough, on comes the pump. When they used to contain mercury, they were pretty good, lasted a decent length of time... but the new ones don't use mercury and get crap reviews.

-Chris
Old 07-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Exhaust hose may not be to bad if you have good access at both ends. You can usually disconnect the ends and make sure it's not fastened anywhere in between. Then it's a matter of joining a new hose to the old and pulling the new in as you pull the old out.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
If the float switches are Rule, it may be as easy as unclicking the current one from its mount, and taking the new one and clicking on the existing mount- then copy how the wires are connected and properly connect and seal them (I did my own and it was easy breezy).
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
"Partial Survey" I wanted to get a head start on estimates that NEED to be fixed. And Cale sent this to me. He spent 10 hours on the boat with me and some wanted to see this. 1987 CHB PONDEROSA

" The major deficiencies are:

Shower sump pump float switch is inoperable. Needs to be repaired or replaced.

I recommend waiting until you get the finished Marine Survey Report. The report will include pictures and better detail that will assist the service person when trying to come up with an estimate. I will be working on your report on Sunday, and should have the finished version delivered to you by Monday evening.

Thanks,

Cale Mathers
Marine Surveyor - SAMS® AMS® #1156
Mathers Marine Survey LLC
360.202.7700 "

Sight unseen best guess FWIW -
Adjust parts $0 / time 10 minutes
Repack parts $20 / time 1 hr

Depends where it is and how long of a hose , measure hose diameter and length (not if wire). Price hose and maybe 1 hr.

typical part $40 / time 1/2 hour

Shower sump pump float switch is inoperable. Needs to be repaired or
replaced.
Same as bilge pump.

None of these are consequential, this is a very short list for a boat such as this one - if this is the entire survey list this boat is all about the blisters.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Agree that none of these are a big deal. I replaced the exhaust hose on my port engine this year. It was a bit of a struggle to horse the new piece in but it was doable. I just cut the old one into 2 pieces and it came off pretty easily. The new hose cost $35 per foot and I only needed a foot. The float switches are simple to replace if you can get to them. Repacking the shaft log is also pretty easy if you can get to it. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
You just think that surveyor is knowledgeable.

Based on those recommendations that he considers "major" shows he either kn iui was he has a new fish or he us BSing you.

Those are TOTALY minor issues....hardly even worth mentioning.

Even the exhaust hose with cracks in it is BS depending on whether it is leaking from the cracks or where clamped. Did he say? If not, he is a hack. If you buy cheap hose and bend it severely...the outer layer will form cracks rather quickly and still have 20 years life left in a hose that has very little pressure or water in it.

I am wary of his survey already.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #10

Thanks for your wariness Psneeld.

The Surveyor comes from a long maritime family here in the PNW, well known, well respected. He's done surveys for two people I know as well and several on this forum. Hence I picked him from the recommendations here and private messages.

The "major" is what I asked that needed to be repaired. I feel he put it in layman's term for me. It will be labeled on the survey how every SAMs surveyor labels items like these.

Exhaust hose was minor like you said, cracked leaking water. But he worries about the exhaust fumes. Is a working bilge pump important, maybe not.

These were the only concerns we discussed as the overall condition of the boat is "above average". With the blisters it's below average.

He wasn't worried about any of the fixes, but they should be fixed wouldn't you agree?

Thanks again for your input.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #11
Guru

Me thinks you misunderstand.....depending on where the leaks are on the exhaust hose, they do make the safety list and need to be addressed before operating...but comical to call major when my surveyors have just listed them as safety related.

I hope you are not calling me grumpy butt.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Based on those recommendations that he considers "major" shows he either kn iui was he has a new fish or he us BSing you.
Those are TOTALY minor issues....hardly even worth mentioning.
Even the exhaust hose with cracks in it is BS depending on whether it is leaking from the cracks or where clamped. Did he say? If not, he is a hack.
Anyone with a clear mind would consider a cracked and leaking exhaust hose to be a major safety issue, make that critical, and would not operate the boat prior to repairs.

You have been sniffing the fumes for too long.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #13

Hey, I corrected it psbeeld.

I asked him to list the items that needed to be fixed so I can get a jump on estimates. So he emailed them to me. Not certain I need to discuss one's reputation here as I'm ecstatically happy by his performance. And I'm grateful for his recommendations from everyone here.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. I remember you mentioning this person. Grumpy Butt...Hahahaha

Old 07-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

All of the issues called out are IMO minor repairs. I would not even address them other to tell the owner that you will take care of them if he will do something on the blisters. That list and a good work day you could have them fixed.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
Guru

Yes, they are important.

But I like surveyors reports that I have that describe them as safety features...they need correcting before use....I agree....

I just have an issue with calling them major....it can mislead inexperienced boat owners.

Most boat owners always think the surveyor is godlike because of their knowledge.

Mine came highly recommended and described as godlike and you saw the pictures of my bottom repairs. No real substantive comments in the survey.

My last surveyor thought my broken inverter stored in the master stateroom clothes shelves was my working inverter, even though it had no wires hooked to it and it was as far from the batteries as you could get. Pretty bad.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #17

Thanks Comodave great advice. He didn't seem worried about a thing except the blisters. I though thought the bilge pump not working could be a problem if I'm not there to manually turn it on once in awhile?

I'm quite lucky that these were the only things that need to be fixed, huh?
Old 07-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I doubt Cale used the word major. More likely he used words like safety, items preventing sea worthy, items not functioning. Surveyors don’t function in the terms of expensive versus quick and easy. They function in the concept of working, not working or right and not right.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

They are certainly worth fixing, especially the bilge pumps. But they are not major work to repair. The bilge pump letting the boat sink would end up being major but fixing them isn’t too tough.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
Thanks Comodave great advice. He didn't seem worried about a thing except the blisters. I though thought the bilge pump not working could be a problem if I'm not there to manually turn it on once in awhile?

I'm quite lucky that these were the only things that need to be fixed, huh?
Did he give tell you what he thought the boat is worth. I doubt it. Sounds to me like he gave you just enough rope to hang yourself. Sounds to me like you are trying to hang yourself. Good luck hanging yourself.
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote