Blister Boat Brian's Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have used Cale and he is a very good surveyor. A leaking exhaust hose should be considered a big deal. Bilge pump float switches that don't work are an extremely big deal. Cheap to fix does not make them insignificant. Fix them first! Also check that the bilge pumps are adequate in terms of capacity.

Do NOT replace the switches with a bilge pump with built-in sensor. The sensors tend to get buggered up by any oil or crud in the bilge water, then the pump runs nonstop and burns itself out. You would only know if you test your pumps at the beginning of each day (good practice, but few do it). How do I know this? You already know the answer to that... I have the receipts to prove it...

If you need to splice in a new switch and/or pump, do it right and water-tight.

It was semantics that got this started.... by me...big deal and "major" can be interpreted as either costly/time consuming or an important safety issue. Not enough info to really go on till the actual published report. I just didn't want a new boater (and the surveyor probably knew already) that these issues were safety, but easy to correct...that was what I was trying to get across but my words were poorly chosen.

Flipper switched and vertical floats triggering bilge pumps can get buggered up too.....had it happen on assistance boats all the time...the boss wanted them sprayed with lube every day after some near disasters.

As you know I get my survey results tomorrow. The boat is expected to pass with flying colors minus the horrid bowel.

Questions:

1. Is it mine or will the seller and sellers broker get a copy?

2. If the seller or sellers broker asks, "how was the survey"? How should I respond?

As mentioned, survey belongs to you, exhaust leak mentioned will probably require professional repair. You could get an estimate for the repair and ask for an adjustment on price, but you will be required to show the seller the survey to back up the requested reduction in price.

My first large boat (to me), back in 1980, I paid for "professional survey" in Gig Harbor, WA. It was a joke, the surveyor didn't even mention major items that I pointed out/asked him about during the actual survey. Then, when I asked seller for reduction in price for a few of the items that WERE listed, offering to provide the survey to back it up, the seller said, "I've already got the survey, the surveyor gave a copy to me and one to my broker yesterday."

I was pretty pissed off, called the surveyor, who said "you didn't say you wanted to keep the survey private!"

I told him I wanted 2/3rds of the survey price back, since he provided it to three people. He laughed

Filed Small Claims, had statement from broker and seller that they were given survey by surveyor. Surveyor didn't show, Judge decided in my favor for the whole amount of the survey. Surveyor wouldn't pay. I contacted his insurance company (bonding), provided Judges ruling. The bonding company wrote me a check. Surveyor was PISSED! His insurance company cancelled his bond. Oh well . . .

ps, I was guided in this by a sheriff friend of mine who worked a lot with the Department legal folks.

Sorry to digress, but it's an interesting story!

Ducati,

Welcome to the Trawler forum. A CHB in the PNW is a great boat providing you understand what you’re getting (both father and myself own one). I’d encourage covered moorage if it’s available..... as suggested all the fixes needed that you mentioned, are pretty easy to do. It Shouldn’t take much time DIY (lots of YouTube videos), or make the seller fix them.

As far as blisters go...the CHB’s all were made with really thick hulls. Many in the 80’s have some form of blisters, from small superficial in the gel coat, to potentially more critical large blisters that pop and ooze smelly material. Have your surveyor be very clear what type this boat has. Was the boat in a warmer climate before it got up the the PNW? Could be the reason for the blisters..... boats tended to develop more blisters in warmer waters..... and don’t worry, the boat isn’t going to sink because of blisters. I’ve yet to see a TT sink because of them. Although I see lots of scary pictures from people who chase them. The CHB will undoubtedly outlive you.

Finally, there are people on this board with extreme opinions. It’s not the best place to come unless you can wade through the BS. It appears you’ve already figured that out. Bottom line, you can go into this to find a reason to ‘not buy’ a boat..... the Taiwan Trawlers make it easy to do. Or you can take the survey, use it to negotiate, and enjoy the hell out of your new boat. Remember, it’s a way of life, a priceless adventure with a depreciating value. When you buy, don’t look back, don’t chase things for at least a year (unless critical)..... most of all, have a great time!!!!

Thanks for your wariness Psneeld.

The Surveyor comes from a long maritime family here in the PNW, well known, well respected. He's done surveys for two people I know as well and several on this forum. Hence I picked him from the recommendations here and private messages.

The "major" is what I asked that needed to be repaired. I feel he put it in layman's term for me. It will be labeled on the survey how every SAMs surveyor labels items like these.

Exhaust hose was minor like you said, cracked leaking water. But he worries about the exhaust fumes. Is a working bilge pump important, maybe not.

These were the only concerns we discussed as the overall condition of the boat is "above average". With the blisters it's below average.

He wasn't worried about any of the fixes, but they should be fixed wouldn't you agree?

Thanks again for your input.

Cale Mathers is a highly respected surveyor in the PNW. I have personally used him, and so have others of my acquaintance.

As a general rule, I am not comfortable seeing peoples names and reputations being bandied about on open forums. Too many people have preconceived opinions which can be detrimental to the people being discussed. The opposite also applies, boosters can have their own agenda.

The PM button is an excellent way of providing more personal information for people who may be looking for specific information without putting it up for all the world to see.

Just my two cents worth.

As you know I get my survey results tomorrow. The boat is expected to pass with flying colors minus the horrid bowel.

Questions:

1. Is it mine or will the seller and sellers broker get a copy?

2. If the seller or sellers broker asks, "how was the survey"? How should I respond?

Surprised this didn't elicit more responses. Survey belongs to the person who paid for it. Full stop. You are under no obligation to disclose anything unless you are contractually obligated to provide cause for terminating the purchase agreement. However.......in my experience, transparency while negotiating usually speeds the process and results in a better outcome. I'm sure there are belligerent sellers who would argue the survey findings so perhaps disclosure would be problematic, but while they can argue the voracity of the information, it's hard to argue that you are acting in good faith based on available information. The survey becomes of very little value to anyone even if disclosed. Insurance companies seem to want a survey done on behalf of the insured, not a prior third party. I've heard of many walk-away buyers try to sell their survey for 50%, but do not have first hand knowledge of a seller or subsequent buyer actually buying it. By then, the deal has gone south and I supposed the thought of giving the buyer a dime is repugnant to the scorned seller.

As far as the question about 'how did the survey go?,' that one I would avoid until I have formed a full opinion, especially for less experienced buyers. I would be cautious about offering a partial reaction or opinion.

Good luck - hope the sale is proceeding favorably (however that is defined in the OPs circumstances).

Peter

Last edited:
My question is how were the decks (as if the blisters are not a showstopper)?

Do not discount soft spots. Perhaps not structural, they do not go away and either you deal with it of pass along a discount to the new buyer when you sell which means all the $$ you spent getting her in shape you will most likely never come close to recovering (not that a boat is meant as an investment). From experience...

I set my wife up well for the future if I die. Who wouldn't want to date a woman that owns a few Ducati's, Mercedes, huge boat, nice house, my retirement, and killer life insurance policy. I recon she'll have a 24 year old pool boy? Every day she'll think of me:)

Sorry to keep reminding everyone that I'm new to boating. But what knot should I use and how do I tie it?

Can you pass along my number to your wife if you happen to meet your demise in the near future?

:socool:
HOLLYWOOD

When/if you're ready to share the potentially sensitive blister info, I'm interested to hear the summation. Small size and numbers, not a huge deal. But when it happens to you, it can seem like a big deal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom