Old 09-12-2018, 03:52 AM   #1

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Bladder or smaller poly tanks?

So one of the fuel tanks on my C&L 37 looks like swiss cheese around the fill neck and generally has a lot of rust on the top.
No one seems to think repairing this tank is worthwhile.
I just drained and pulled the inspection port off and in the interior I found 2 baffles and it looked pretty good overall.
This boat has 2 engines and replacing the tank would definitely require removing an engine, if not both and the generator.
I could probably get a few 40ish gallon poly tanks in there maybe with just moving the generator a bit... or I could cut cut the baffles out and put a bladder in.
The current tank is about 150 gallons.
Let me know if yall have any advice or ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
20180906_150038.jpg   20180906_150044.jpg  
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:56 AM   #2

I'll try to post pictures of the engine room when I find them or get home and take more... but it's got 2 Ford Lehman's and the generator in a quiet box at the front of the engine room.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 AM   #3

These pictures are just to give an idea as to how tight the ER is and I was taking them for something unrelated. The fuel tanks are outside of the engines.
Attached Thumbnails
20180131_122723.jpg   20180131_122726.jpg   20180131_122730.jpg  
Old 09-12-2018, 04:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Before you go with a bladder determine what effect a bladder will have on your resale price.

If I were in the market for a boat with a bladder I would reduce my offering price by more than the cost of the tank replacement as both a fudge factor and compensation for my hassle.

Replacing a 150 gallon tank with two or three smaller tanks would probably cost less than the potential reduction in the resale price as buyers tend to estimate the costs higher than they would be.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Since the tank seems fine below,

It sure looks like there is room to get a wire brush or small grinder to the top of the tank.

I would seal the deck above that is probably the cause of the rust & rot , and simply lay up about 1/4 inch of epoxy and CSM .Lap it over the tank walls about 2 inches to stiffen the tank.

Unless you are in rather extreme conditions the top of the tank is seldom under load , so a good sound repair should be possible.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Before you go with a bladder determine what effect a bladder will have on your resale price.

If I were in the market for a boat with a bladder I would reduce my offering price by more than the cost of the tank replacement as both a fudge factor and compensation for my hassle.

Replacing a 150 gallon tank with two or three smaller tanks would probably cost less than the potential reduction in the resale price as buyers tend to estimate the costs higher than they would be.
Sooo you're basically saying poly tanks are much better for resale value.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Since the tank seems fine below,

It sure looks like there is room to get a wire brush or small grinder to the top of the tank.

I would seal the deck above that is probably the cause of the rust & rot , and simply lay up about 1/4 inch of epoxy and CSM .Lap it over the tank walls about 2 inches to stiffen the tank.

Unless you are in rather extreme conditions the top of the tank is seldom under load , so a good sound repair should be possible.
Yes the seal around the filler neck is the issue...
The outside of the top of the tank is pretty bad is terms of rust, I'm not sure that would be a long term fix. If yall know someone in the Houston are who might be interested in fixing these tanks or ar least taking a look at them before I cut them out let me know!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #8

These are a couple of screen shots from a video I made sticking my cell phone into the inspection port.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20180912-120319_Video Player.jpg   Screenshot_20180912-120256_Video Player.jpg  
Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Cut the hull side open and take that whole thing out intact, no cutting it up. Get a poly tank of the right size, put it through the open hull side and rest it temporarily on far side of ER. Make good the hull side and then install the new poly tank. Fast, which means time and labor effective. Use a 1st class 'glass guy and you will lose no strength and the hull repair will be invisible. You will get a lift in boat value instead of the mark down that a bladder would bring.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Cut the hull side open and take that whole thing out intact, no cutting it up. Get a poly tank of the right size, put it through the open hull side and rest it temporarily on far side of ER. Make good the hull side and then install the new poly tank. Fast, which means time and labor effective. Use a 1st class 'glass guy and you will lose no strength and the hull repair will be invisible. You will get a lift in boat value instead of the mark down that a bladder would bring.
I briefly thought of that.... but the inside of the hull would be impossible to access to properly glass it back together.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I would determine how difficult it would be to remove both engines and the generator. While ir can seem like a huge task, I would think it's only a couple of days to pull them and a little more to reinstall. The main issue is lifting them and removing them from the boat. If that's a reasonable task, I would plan an engine room refit, replacing both tanks with aluminum. IMO, the total cost would likely be about the same as what you will lose on resale if you do a bandaid repair or put in a bladder.

Before going further, I would drain and inspect the other tank.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I would determine how difficult it would be to remove both engines and the generator. While ir can seem like a huge task, I would think it's only a couple of days to pull them and a little more to reinstall. The main issue is lifting them and removing them from the boat. If that's a reasonable task, I would plan an engine room refit, replacing both tanks with aluminum. IMO, the total cost would likely be about the same as what you will lose on resale if you do a bandaid repair or put in a bladder.

Before going further, I would drain and inspect the other tank.

Ted
The other tank holds air but had rust on the top for sure.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopistn View Post
I briefly thought of that.... but the inside of the hull would be impossible to access to properly glass it back together.
Why? The new poly tank is out of the way, disconnected on other side .of ER on top of other engine. With the old tank gone there's room beside the relevant engine and the hull side to do a proper repair. The new poly tank is installed only after the hull side is reinstated.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
plus ....

I am pretty sure the glasswork can be done from the outside after the tank is reinstalled...from seeing photos and reading about this procedure.

My guess in this case its easier and cheaper "to pull the engine" route.

One yard that specialized in Grand Banks drops them through the bottom of the boat so the finish work is less and saves a ton of money.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"

"Cut the hull side open and take that whole thing out intact, no cutting it up."

This works great in a well skilled yard with a METAL boat.Steel, or aluminum .

It is death to a GRP boat , although folks have done it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #16
Bud

City: KEY COLONY BEACH
Vessel Name: Izzy Rose
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49
I have seen vessels with new fill necks welded on a say 1ft square plate and then that plate bolted on the top of tank in place of "swiss cheese" old fill.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #17
Guru

City: AR
...I could probably get a few 40ish gallon poly tanks in there maybe with just moving the generator a bit...

I'm pretty sure you already know this, but to be on the safe side...The poly tanks made to hold water and waste cannot be used to hold fuel because they're made using LINEAR poly that soaks up petroleum products. Fuel tanks must be made from CROSS-LINKED poly and must also be USCG certified that they meet certain standards...no horizontal surface on which liquid can pool, specific types of fittings and fitting locations among others.

Just thought this worth mentioning...

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...My guess in this case its easier and cheaper "to pull the engine" route...
That would be my guess also. When we replaced our tanks we had to pull the engine and running gear. Granted we had a single but it went faster than I thought it would. It took one hour to disconnect the engine and get it ready to pull and 1.5 hours to get it out. It took about 4 hours to reinstall including the hook ups. The only problem is project creep. It’s easy to say, while the engines out lets repaint, replace this or that, etc. You get the idea but you would have great access for the job and when you get done, the boat will be worth more and easier to sell. Good luck with what you decide.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
And that's for tank replacements of the same size.

If willing to go smaller tanks, the steel tanks might be cut up in place then the engines just moved slightly to get smaller poly tanks in.

Whole operation lift in, lift out could be done in a day possibly if someone was good at measuring and getting things ready.

Still a lot of work, but much now is diy and by only partly skilled labor.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
And that's for tank replacements of the same size.

If willing to go smaller tanks, the steel tanks might be cut up in place then the engines just moved slightly to get smaller poly tanks in.

Whole operation lift in, lift out could be done in a day possibly if someone was good at measuring and getting things ready.

Still a lot of work, but much now is dry and by only partly skilled labor.
Yes, smaller poly tanks are what I had in mind while avoiding engines removal.