Old 03-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
Who knows about the PT41

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1985 PT41 Cheer Men double cabin. It's a galley up design with master stateroom aft and over and under bunks forward. This particular vessel has twin Lehman sp225 engines. Although we spent a lot of time aboard today, I really know nothing of "PT" or "Cheer Men"...Can any of you help me out with your experiences or knowledge of the boat? GPH maybe, known issues? There is remarkably little information I can find on the web.

Thanks for any knowledge you're able to share.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
I owned what sounds like the same boat but with Lehman 120s for 6 years. It was a great boat, but finally had to get rid of it because I couldn't get dependable mechanics to keep her up. She was in Fla and I was up in Illinois. I used to tell everyone that as far as overall quality she was a little better than the Albin 43, not as good as a Grand Banks 42.

Mine had, I think, a 300 gallon fuel tank. We cruised at 6 to 8 miles an hour, and I'll bet she got better than 2 mpg, we never precisely measured it. All I know is we would put diesel in once a season or so. A major problem was keeping the fuel clean because we used so little of it.

Other than the fuel, I replaced an engine when I overheated an engine when the heat exchanger cap came off of one engine at speed. Rebuilt one of the transmissions. Mine was a 1983. If memory serves, I got her in 1996, sold her in 2002 or 2003.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post
I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1985 PT41 Cheer Men double cabin. It's a galley up design with master stateroom aft and over and under bunks forward. This particular vessel has twin Lehman sp225 engines. Although we spent a lot of time aboard today, I really know nothing of "PT" or "Cheer Men"...Can any of you help me out with your experiences or knowledge of the boat? GPH maybe, known issues? There is remarkably little information I can find on the web.

Our PT-52 was built by Overseas Yacht Industries at the Kha Shing yards. Ours is a solid boat that has made the trip from Seattle to Souhtern California and back, as well as to SE Alaska.

Layout is a cockpit yachtfisher, with galley down, aft cabin queen with Queen V-berth, and 3 steering stations.

We live onboard her full time here in Seattle.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Paul, yours sounds like a nice boat. This thread is jogging my memory.

Our PT-41 was also Cheer Men built. It was a queen rear cabin, twin bunks in the forward cabin. Had a sit down tub/shower in the rear ensuite head, hand held shower only in the front ensuite head. Had a unique cabinet in the main salon that could go either against the starboard bulkhead or be formed to make an "L" shape to enclose the galley.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

Thanks to both of you.....that answers a lot of my questions. Hopefully I'll be making an offer on this boat this week. Wish one of you had the 225 turbo-charged Lehman's though. A little concerned about gph....even though it's capable of more, I only plan on cruising at 7-9 knots. I'm retired, not in a hurry, lol.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
OK, I have a 1987 Cheer Men PT42. It's probably a very, very similar hull to yours. Ours was re-engined in 2003 with John Deeres, but they are still 225hp, (6068 turbo units).

On our last long trip, which lasted 6 weeks and covered approx 900 nm, we averaged about 1.9 nm to the gallon. That's mostly cruising at 8 - 9 knots but also included some generator use (maybe an hour every other day). I don't know how newer John Deeres (1300 hours) stack up against older Lehmans.
Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #7

Yours looks identical to mine...so thanks for your input, that probably answers ALL my questions!.......I'll be cruising at 7-9 knots also, not in a hurry, lol.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #8

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
OP, did you end up buying the boat? Looks like it or an identical one is for sale again... Any information on them? Thanks
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:30 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoboater View Post

Hey Neighbor. I live in Kemah.

I found this thread on a google search, and wanted to see if you had purchased the PT 41 you reference. Wouldn't happen to be this one would it? 1985 PT 41' Trawler Motor Yacht

I really like the late 80's model Carver 4207's, but this looks like a nice competitor.

I was wondering what your experiences were if you did purchase it.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote