Binnacle Shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
Hello, I need some advice.
I’m shipping the major components of my Benmar auto pilot and wonder if the binnacle needs to be stabilized in its housing.?
Thanks

The inside of the binnacle is basically a compass on needle bearings as I remember. I doubt it would take a hard shock like some packages I've received but you would probably be OK with lots of bubble wrap. YMMV

Thanks for the advice!

I've sold a few of those on eBay.

Pack it as if a gorilla is delivering it.

I wrap with lots of bubble wrap and tape the compass so it does't bounce around. I put a "Fragil - this side up" sticker on the top. That doesn't guarantee drivers will pay attention, but they may.

I find that USPS seems gentler on packages than UPS or FedEx. USPS Priority Mail gets to the destination the fastest and it's handled less so less damage to the box and contents.

Box within a box.
When packing fragile items, wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in a smaller box. Then wrap the smaller size box with bubble wrap and put it in a larger box. It's much easier to immobilize / cushion the smaller box (which is larger and weighs the same as the object within it) than to do the same to just the item. Also, while the larger box may get damaged in shipping, it's much more likely for the smaller box and item to survive unscathed.

Ted

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom