Bimini top replacement and hard top advise please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nopistn

Vessel Make
37' C&L Double Cabin
Sooo my bimini finally let go, I took it down and got a quote for a new one: $2500 for Stamoid 80" marine vinyl*132" long and 141" wide.
It has an arch at the back and 3 SS support (bows?)
Question 1: is that a good deal (key west)

Long term I want to do a solar bimini and I'm trying to brainstorm ideas.

A hard top would be extremely nice but I haven't even priced that yet (I'm guessing it would cost at least double the bimini) if i did a hard top I'd have the option for either glass or flexible solar panels, but I'm concerned about the weight of 1000ish watts of solar plus the hard top (seems to run about 15lbs per 100w)

Another option is to build the bimini entirely out glass of solar panels, using data from the renogy site it would weigh 300-330lbs and cost about $2500 (just for the panels, the frame, ect would weigh and cost additional.

Do yall think this is feasible? Would 330lbs+ 19' high on a 51,000lb cabin cruiser make a big difference?

Also, anyone know a good place to get s hardtop somewhere between key west and Houston?
Thanks!

Here is a quick picture for reference...

Attachments

• 20191231_130437.jpg
    20191231_130437.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 110
We put a Hardtotop hardtop on a couple of our boats. They use the existing bimini frame and the top is a translucent plastic and is a DIY project. We love ours. The large one was about $2K for our current boat. It only weighs about 90 pounds. Very easy to make side curtains for it.

Attachments

• 38A63667-C49B-4C0D-8757-B0CF074C601F.jpg
    38A63667-C49B-4C0D-8757-B0CF074C601F.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 130
  • B54AC3A1-AA90-4BC7-9F71-877ADE7CB3CE.jpg
    B54AC3A1-AA90-4BC7-9F71-877ADE7CB3CE.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 133
On this boat we ran it back onto the radar arch. Hardtotop.com

We put a Hardtotop hardtop on a couple of our boats. They use the existing bimini frame and the top is a translucent plastic and is a DIY project. We love ours. The large one was about $2K for our current boat. It only weighs about 90 pounds. Very easy to make side curtains for it.

That looks cool, definitely could put flexible solar on it..

I installed three solar panels on to my Bimini frame given the high cost of replacing the canvas (€900). The panels were €200 each two years ago but are even cheaper now.

I reinforced Biminini structure but I find it is still a bit "bouncy". I am now considering replacing this with a custom structure, and increasing the number of panels to six.

Below is a schematic of what I have in mind, to be fabricated with aluminum or SS angle pieces.

Attachments

• Ruby - 1.jpeg
    Ruby - 1.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 104
  • fly roof 2.png
    fly roof 2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 68
  • fly roof.jpg
    fly roof.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I installed three solar panels on to my Bimini frame given the high cost of replacing the canvas (€900). The panels were €200 each two years ago but are even cheaper now.

I reinforced Biminini structure but I find it is still a bit "bouncy". I am now considering replacing this with a custom structure, and increasing the number of panels to six.

Below is a schematic of what I have in mind, to be fabricated with aluminum or SS angle pieces.
Love that boat! I almost bought a marine trader 50' in that style.
Do you have any pictures with the panels on?

On this boat we ran it back onto the radar arch. Hardtotop.com

Just got a quote from them for $2500, so same price as canvas.
The poly carbonate panels look a little cheesy though. I'm sure it'll last longer than fabric for the same price but I'm not sold on the square look.

Love that boat! I almost bought a marine trader 50' in that style.
Do you have any pictures with the panels on?

Thank you! It is a great boat.

In the first photo above, you can see the current panels mounted on the Bimini frame. You can enlarge the photo and make out some detail.

Thank you! It is a great boat.

In the first photo above, you can see the current panels mounted on the Bimini frame. You can enlarge the photo and make out some detail.

Ahh yes I see now. Were you worried about the weioof those affecting the ride? And how many watts are those?

Ahh yes I see now. Were you worried about the weioof those affecting the ride? And how many watts are those?

The panels are rated at 320 watts each.

I am not concerne3d about the added weight high up. The panels weigh around 20 kilograms each so the combined weight is not that significant, say when compared to a person for example.

I also put the HardToTop on my boat. It was very easy to install (wife and I did it in a couple of hours) It is nice and cool on the flybridge when it is hot out and the top is very easy to clean.

Just fabricated a hard top with Nida core and fiberglass both sides,
will hold 3 260W panels.

Waiting for the weather to get a bit better and install it.

Will post pics when done, cost of materiel's w/o panels about $700

it's about 10'X10'

Do the 'Hardtotop" tops leak when it rains ??
Wondering how they seal between the meal frames and the panels.

Thinking of one for when our top goes.

You use a sticky caulk that does not harden between the metal extrusions on each piece. I do a belt and suspenders approach though and go one step farther and put Eternabond tape over the joints just in case. The Eternabond tape is something special. It is used in the RV industry to seal the roofs. It sticks incredibly well and lasts forever. The white tape blends into the white plastic roof panels and isn’t very noticeable. So we don’t get any leaks.

translucent plastic

This is exactly what I am looking for. Can you tell me where I can find this plastic?

This is exactly what I am looking for. Can you tell me where I can find this plastic?

I got it from hardtotop.com. However someone posted that they have closed up shop since they couldn’t obtain the plastic panels due to covid shortages. We really liked their tops. Reasonable price and simple installation. You might try them again, maybe they are back now???

"However someone posted that they have closed up shop since they couldn’t obtain the plastic panels due to covid shortages."

Now I know why they haven't answered the phone, returned calls, or returned emails for the last month+. I sure wish they would've at least put something on their website explaining their situation.

Does anyone know where I can source the type extrusions they use for trim and panel joints? I'm mechanically inclined enough to do the fab and install if I can lay my hands on the extrusions.
EDIT; I've searched online for awhile for aluminum extrusions but can only find items for home window, door, etc type use.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I got it from hardtotop.com. However someone posted that they have closed up shop since they couldn’t obtain the plastic panels due to covid shortages. We really liked their tops. Reasonable price and simple installation. You might try them again, maybe they are back now???

Ok this is a start! Thanks. If I find a source for the plastic or extrusions I will let you know.

I requested a quote today from these folks, who are local to me, for 3 sheets of 48" X 14' long "opal" (ice) twinwall poly carbonate sheets. https://www.acplasticsinc.com/products/opal-10mm-4x14-gl-twinwall

If you like, I can PM you with what I hear back from them. I believe they can also supply polycarbonate trim and seam joint material (C channel and H channel)

Good day,
long time lurker here.
thanks for the great info so far. its purely coincidental that I found Hard to Top, decided thats what i want, tried contacting them to no avail and then finding this thread.

i think i am going to try and build my own but am having trouble sourcing the corner pieces. does anyone know where to look for them?
thanks in advance.

Corner Pieces and Other Extrusions

I'm in the same boat - looking hard at building it myself.
I haven't been able to find the same extrusions HardToTop uses.

There are polycarbonate trim pieces and joining profiles available.
The company below is local to me (Houston area)
https://www.acplasticsinc.com/products/0000-6-10-mm-snap-h-profile-24ft

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/products/opal-10mm-4x14-gl-twinwall

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/media/documents/UACI_140010_Multiwall_Product_Details_HR-v2.PDF

Please let me know if you find suitable corners and aluminum extrusions.
I'll report back if I can find anything suitable.
Thanks

well i was able to get ahold of someone at hard to top.
it didnt go that well.
the poor fellow appears to have had a stroke and had difficulty communicating.

what i did find out was that the extrusions that the panels are attached to was "E8" google was no help in finding anything of relevance though based on that search.
i did however find this: https://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Po...ize=0&lngDisplay=0&jPageNumber=13&strMetaTag=
looks to be about right but i would like a second opinion.

the aluminum corners, according to the gentleman are "patented and need to be anodized." i think they lost their anodizing guy during the pandemic or something but he wouldn't relinquish any specifics
my thought is this:
https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Picoma-6497-1-2-90D-Alum-Elbow/6323807
i think i may cut a radius in the PCC and create a channel in the conduit to fit sunggly. thoughts?

as for the PCC i think we have the proper sourcing from previous posters but i will add that the fellow stressed that it was 6mm PCC sheets that were 24x48 inches.

i would like a second opinion on the aluminum channel that surrounds the perimeter. "HTE" aluminum is what i was told but i wasnt able to find it online. i am thinking just a U channel with an ID of 6mm or 1/4 to match the PCC.

after some poking and prodding i was able to get him to admit that they had channel and that he could get me in contact with the actual BOM and material spec person. and furthermore he was happy to sell me the metal he had to build it myself without PCC.
but just as i was asking him how we could go about this process he said he had another call and hung up on me. so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
anyone have anything else to add? i believe we are rapidly running low on steam and patience.

Sorry I missed your response until now. Excellent sleuthing work!

well i was able to get ahold of someone at hard to top.
it didnt go that well.
the poor fellow appears to have had a stroke and had difficulty communicating.

what i did find out was that the extrusions that the panels are attached to was "E8" google was no help in finding anything of relevance though based on that search.
i did however find this: https://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Po...ize=0&lngDisplay=0&jPageNumber=13&strMetaTag=
looks to be about right but i would like a second opinion.

I had the same problem finding "E8" and found similar to what your link shows.

the aluminum corners, according to the gentleman are "patented and need to be anodized." i think they lost their anodizing guy during the pandemic or something but he wouldn't relinquish any specifics
my thought is this:
https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Picoma-6497-1-2-90D-Alum-Elbow/6323807
i think i may cut a radius in the PCC and create a channel in the conduit to fit sunggly. thoughts?
I like that option. Not sure what anodizing would run but worth a look. There's enough industry in my area and should be doable.

as for the PCC i think we have the proper sourcing from previous posters but i will add that the fellow stressed that it was 6mm PCC sheets that were 24x48 inches.

i would like a second opinion on the aluminum channel that surrounds the perimeter. "HTE" aluminum is what i was told but i wasnt able to find it online. i am thinking just a U channel with an ID of 6mm or 1/4 to match the PCC.

I have not found anything like the side and front edge extrusions "HTE". but they look to be more than just U channel to me. "Trawler Beach House" did an article on their install back in 2012. Scroll through the photos and see the pic showing two extrusions laid out.
https://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/2012/07/from-fabric-bimini-to-hardtop-in-one-day.html

after some poking and prodding i was able to get him to admit that they had channel and that he could get me in contact with the actual BOM and material spec person. and furthermore he was happy to sell me the metal he had to build it myself without PCC. Are you planning to try to purchase metal from therm? I would love to do the same if enough is available.
but just as i was asking him how we could go about this process he said he had another call and hung up on me. so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
anyone have anything else to add? i believe we are rapidly running low on steam and patience.

Again, sorry for the late reply.
Let us know how your project is going. I'm on an aft davit design and build project at the moment.
Thanks for all the info,
Boatfever

Well the project has been put on hold due to a new child and a diesel tank leak. Money is being funneled away from the boat and into his needs and contamination control.
I am keeping a list of tabs open to pick up where I left off when I find the budget and time.
As for purchasing the metal from them, I would like to if I can ever get ahold of them again. He didn't seem thrilled to take the money I was willing to throw at him. I would prefer to go through them because in my mind, I send them my dimensions and they size it and send me what I need sans PCC rather than me trying to order pieces that I /think/ will fit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom