Bimini to Fort Lauderdale East to West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyp

We made the crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini about 2 weeks ago.

Now it is time to head back to Fort Lauderdale.

Looking at the weather/wave reports it looks like I might not want to make the Fort Lauderdale to Bimini crossing tomorrow or Tuesday due to East and ESE winds and waves, but what about the other direction?
I'm wondering if I can reasonably expect to be able to take bigger seas and stronger winds if the wind and wave direction is to my back for the return trip to Florida. We came back from the Berry Islands with slightly less wind/waves behind us and it was fine.
We're traveling in a 40 ft flybridge cruiser and generally travel at around 20 knots.

Thanks.

E to SE is the prevailing wind this time of year. Get a very early start and you'll be almost home before the wing comes up :socool:

We made the crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini about 2 weeks ago.

Now it is time to head back to Fort Lauderdale.

Looking at the weather/wave reports it looks like I might not want to make the Fort Lauderdale to Bimini crossing tomorrow or Tuesday due to East and ESE winds and waves, but what about the other direction?
I'm wondering if I can reasonably expect to be able to take bigger seas and stronger winds if the wind and wave direction is to my back for the return trip to Florida. We came back from the Berry Islands with slightly less wind/waves behind us and it was fine.
We're traveling in a 40 ft flybridge cruiser and generally travel at around 20 knots.

Thanks.

Tuesday is 3 to 4' seas at 4 seconds and on Wednesday they drop to 2'. Don't speculate but use weather sites that show you the seas. Winds are from the East both Tuesday and Wednesday, just a bit calmer on Wednesday.

I don't know what level of seas you are comfortable with. I doubt you'd find the seas today or on Tuesday pleasant though from the nature of your question.

Hi BandB, excellent read of the state of my mind.
We were using weatherfinder, passageweather and Marv's but they don't totally agree with one another.
We decided that since we don't want the possibility of heading into anything rough on our first Bimini->FLL crossing AND we really don't need to be back we will wait until Wednesday.

I really appreciate the real time assistance from forum members.

Well, tried the crossing yesterday (Wednesday) and seems like all the forecasts were wrong as we had strong winds from the north and much heavier seas than predicted as soon as we hit the deeper water west of Bimini.
Turned around. Looks like Friday afternoon might be the next good choice.

Back
Top Bottom