Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Bimini crossing from?

Wife and I are going to cross to Bimini early May and I’m trying to figure out where to anchor so I can make a quick getaway. Wife told me she would only do this if we can make it during daylight hours.

Anchor outside Angelfish Creek and let the GS push me up to Bimini/Gun? With the push of the current I can make 7 knots so should be able to make it in about 8 hours?

Is it easy to make it across the reef from Angelfish to get to the Gulf? I don’t see any marked channels.

As far as entering once across, that Barnett Harbour pass a good place to enter? Was thinking about anchoring in Honeymoon Harbour or wherever, or maybe get a slip somewhere if we are frazzled. Where is the easiest place to enter Bimini/Gun at around 3-4 in the afternoon ?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Barnett harbour to enter? Enter the bank or a place to spend the nite?? Customs at n bimini is most typical, followed by cat or even s bimini with a possible trip to airport. Angelfish seems reasonable for previous nite. The offshore shoal is easily avoided.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Barnett harbour to enter? Enter the bank or a place to spend the nite?? Customs at n bimini is most typical, followed by cat or even s bimini with a possible trip to airport. Angelfish seems reasonable for previous nite. The offshore shoal is easily avoided.

Dollar harbour is where i spent most anchored nites. Honeymoon h has its set of issues.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Hey buddy, is your wife adverse to leaving in the dark?

Maybe set yourself up US side inside a good inlet where you can leave safely an hour or two before sunrise using GPS/Radar and that will pretty much guarantee you a daylight arrival.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
When I did this four years ago, we anchored in the ICW just north of the los olas marina, north of port Everglades inlet.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
A lot of people spend the night in No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne before crossing. There is a nice restaurant there as well. A well marked channel will take you to open water.

Head out at sunrise and you should have plenty of time.

Might be smart and fun to run the channel the day before in bright daylight just to be familiar with it. You’ll get a good look at the Cape Florida lighthouse and you might want to keep going to Fowey Light and get a look at it. Be careful around Fowey Light. It’s there for a reason.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
Guru

Bimini crossing from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Hey buddy, is your wife adverse to leaving in the dark?

Maybe set yourself up US side inside a good inlet where you can leave safely an hour or two before sunrise using GPS/Radar and that will pretty much guarantee you a daylight arrival.

Yeah, she definitely is averse to leaving in the dark. That was one of her conditions and why I’m trying to make sure I get it right. The other condition was no rough seas. [emoji51]

Last time I crossed (wife wasn’t with me) from Lake Worth to West end I left at night because the weather was forecasted to be more settled. Lake Worth inlet is big and well marked however so it was easy.

I like the idea of anchoring in or just outside of No Name and scouting the channel across the reef in the daylight like HopCar recommended. If I leave from No Name won’t I have to crab across to counter the current however? Thant’s why I was looking for a takeoff spot a little farther south.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post

Enter the bank at the pass that says Barnett Harbour on the chart. Kind of close to that Sapona cement ship wreck. Is that not a normal place to enter from the Gulf?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7484.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	87366
Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Enter the bank at the pass that says Barnett Harbour on the chart. Kind of close to that Sapona cement ship wreck. Is that not a normal place to enter from the Gulf?
Attachment 87366
Sorry; I'm trying to catch up to the story line. Its not clear. You are clearing customs at Bimini?? Then, headed East to the berries, etc?? Of course, you don't need to enter the bank if you are just staying at Bimini.

So, you want to lunch hook and chill before clearing?
Sure, Sapona area is great for that.

"Gulf" means "Gulf Stream" and not Gulf of Mexico?? Where did you want to spend the first nite in the Bahamas??
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #10
Guru

Bimini crossing from?

Sorry, my writing was definitely not clear this AM. Need more coffee.

After crossing the Gulf Stream I’m trying to figure out the best place to anchor for the night somewhere around Bimini/Gun/Cat. I’m not sure if I am going to clear in at Bimini/Gun/Cat or just anchor for the night and continue on towards the Berry Islands. Wife may want to clear in somewhere on Bimini/Gun/Cat and relax and explore before continuing on she just told me.

Since we may be arriving mid afternoon or so I was tryin to find the easiest place to get to that does not have a sketchy pass.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
We've departed No Name a number of times, it's pretty straightforward. We have left before sunrise, at sunrise. If your wife is averse to the dark, a daylight run a day ahead or so would give you a track to follow in the dark. It's really a no-brainer, since you're not going to be venturing out in crap weather anyway. Remind her that the calmest seas will likely be before dawn. OR, just leave at 1st light. We have determined that it's much easier to retrace our steps and leave well before sunup and have the advantage of arriving at an unfamiliar anchorage/location well before daylight is waning. Much more relaxed. FWIW

Attached is a screenshot of our 2015 track, we left at 0641, we were buddy boating with folks who were also averse to being in the dark. We cruise at about 6.6 kts. you can see our avg. speed and the total length. I can send you the track if you'd like for reference. We typically go to Blue Water Resort Marina, $1/ft. close to Customs & Immigration, can typically get tied up and checked in well before Customs closes. Recommend call them a day or 2 ahead to reserve. The marina stay is inexpensive, secure, and if the WX window isn't great, you can wait it out securely. There are worse places to wait WX than Bimini. We also take a day and get Bimini bread, and stop at the BTC store to get SIM cards and get the phone setup.

Honeymoon Harbor is great in settled WX. If E winds pipe up, there's a WHOLE lotta fetch that can make that area very uncomfortable. Entrance between Gun & Cat is easy, go by the Explorer charts. The entrance to Bimini Harbor is easy, some of the markers are really off station, AC has current tips.

You can also check in at Cat for a fee. Slips there are pricey. If you stop off at Honeymoon harbor, take some bait along to feed the rays, lots of fun! They congregate by the recently installed pier on N end of Gun.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
NoName_depart.jpg  

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
Guru

Thanks so much Maerin. That was very helpful!

If you could DM me that track that would be even more helpful. Thanks again. Bill.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
Guru

City: South Florida
The effect of the Gulfstream on the course to Bimini is WAY over rated. While the steam may be miles wide and traveling at 5 knots, its not traveling at 5 knots across its full width, and the width of the stream and how far offshore it starts also changes day to day.

From the Miami Sea Buoy to Bimini its less than 50 NM, leave when the Eastern Sky is starting to light up and point towards Bimini, Northward drift will be minimal, you'll be there eating conch salad and drinking a Klick before you know it.

Quote:
If I leave from No Name won’t I have to crab across to counter the current however? Thant’s why I was looking for a takeoff spot a little farther south.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
The effect of the Gulfstream on the course to Bimini is WAY over rated. While the steam may be miles wide and traveling at 5 knots, its not traveling at 5 knots across its full width, and the width of the stream and how far offshore it starts also changes day to day.

From the Miami Sea Buoy to Bimini its less than 50 NM, leave when the Eastern Sky is starting to light up and point towards Bimini, Northward drift will be minimal, you'll be there eating conch salad and drinking a Klick before you know it.

Yep, our thoughts exactly. I don’t do night crossings any more.
Especially since we can do 16 knots if we need to (not sailing any more!).
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
Guru

On thanks. I was wondering if I was overthinking the drift on such a short distance.

My boat speed is only 6.5 to 7 knots however, and if I’m bucking a current it’s much slower.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
On thanks. I was wondering if I was overthinking the drift on such a short distance.

My boat speed is only 6.5 to 7 knots however, and if I’m bucking a current it’s much slower.
I wouldn’t worry about the drift. It’s just not that significant. The gulf stream isn’t forty miles wide. I’ve taken a sailboat at that speed across that route several times. Leave at o dark thirty, (5:00 am or so) and you will make it in plenty of time, this time of year.

Truth is, we run our Bertram at 6.5 to 7.5 knots most of the time to save fuel.

The waves the gulf stream can produce with a moderate north wind in this area is of much more concern to me when I cross. I like it as flat as I can get it!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

The waves the gulf stream can produce with a moderate north wind in this area is of much more concern to me when I cross. I like it as flat as I can get it!

^^^^ This....

No northern component to the wind. You said your wife wanted calm seas, we all know the old saw about who's happy...

That said, our most recent crossing had us leaving Baker's Haulover and light winds were ENE. They had been SE the previous day, and the next day they went NE and 18 G22. Short window, but conditions were perfect, just like a calm day on the ICW. Y'just gotta pay attention. The earlier you get started, the less chance the WX has to change up on you mid way.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I would second the suggestion above of anchoring near Port Everglades. The ICW in that area is like driving with street lights at night so early morning getaways are easy. Port Everglades is the easiest inlet you'll ever go from, other than being aware of ships and cruise ships.

As to Bimini, you mention anchoring and not clearing. Not legal. If you anchor near Bimini, you are in the Bahamas, and you must clear in the Bahamas before anchoring. Bimini is only 53 nm from the Las Olas area, less from Port Everglades. With days now extending 12 1/2 hours from Sunrise to Sunset, that gives you 13 1/2 hours of light so an easy trip at your speed.

Cat Cay is about 6 nm further and a very easy clearing but nothing to get out and do on land since the club only allows you to access the marina.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #19
Guru

Ok thanks everyone. Now I’ve got to get the boat from LB Key to the Miami area.

I forgot that would take me five days or so. [emoji30]