Bilge Keels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy with the fins? What is the roll reduction?

Hey Jim,

I was on my way to become your neighbor but got side tracked around Oregon. Went up the Columbia river for a couple of days and ended up staying in Portland. Both my daughters live there.

Anyways - roll reduction. I estimate better than 90% at worst case, up to 100% best case. You can set the sensitivity to an infinite amount of settings. Well actually, to 100 settings from 0-100% in 1% increments. I found 80% to be the most comfortable. You would think that 100% would be the most comfortable but once above 80% the fins start to work pretty hard and I could feel a slight shutter on a big wave when the fins would slam all the way over trying to maintain no roll. It was a very slight shutter and it took me a while to notice it.

I think the reason for the fins to work as hard as they do (occasionally) is due to the speed of the boat. The faster the boat goes, the better they work. Also my boat is starting to get on the small side for this type of system. Since I'm always travelling below 10 knots we had to go to a larger fin. We also had to strengthen the hull. Dave Rassmusen (I always like to drop his name because he's great) built these massive maybe 2.5 to 3' square by about 6" thick wood backing plates made out of multiple blocks of wood that he glued together and glassed in to the hull where the fins go through.

In an effort to better explain what I was noticing. When a big wave would sneak up on us the fins would sometimes - not always, slam all the way over to try to keep the boat at zero roll. When this happened I could feel a very slight shutter. If I reduced the sensitivity of the fins this would go away with no apparent increase in roll. So now I keep them at about 80% sensitivity seems to be the sweet spot for my boat. The interesting thing is at 80% I don't notice any roll. Keep in mind that I have about 6 days of experience with the system.

Attachments

• Fin Hyd Rams.jpg
    Fin Hyd Rams.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Backing Block.jpg
    Backing Block.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Stab Control.jpg
    Stab Control.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 28
Hope you make it down Dave! We settled in Brisbane. I wonder if I could talk Dave down here for an install?

A far cry from bilge keels, paravanes and seakeepers, but what appears to be a reasonable effort and cost for a DIY project we are considering is adding PVC rails below the waterline which reportedly helps reduce roll at anchor, add stability underway, and maybe even increase speed for SD hulls. Seems to provide some hard chine characteristics to round chine hulls. Like was done to boat in pics below.

Similar approach found here: https://www.integritymarinecorp.com/smart-rails

Have you put it on?

Back
Top Bottom