Bike Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
I am trying to decide on the best way to store our two large, heavy electric bikes on our bike deck. We have two Rad Bikes. Other than strapping them to the rail, I would like to make something more permanent and sturdy.

What do you do? Pictures?

We are thinking of trading our electric bikes on electric scooters. They fold flat and store far more easily. Range per charge is similar. Just an idea though as we have not done it. Also not stored our electric bikes aboard.

After thinking critically about my reply, I guess I should have said, "Sorry, I have nothing to offer." ;^)

My initial thoughts are one of the many option for bike rack made for pickup beds... usually a fairly simple frame / mechanism to capture the front wheel..
Some of those are alum and it might be possible to add a couple "pads" to the deck similar to those used for dingy chocks that would make them easy to attach when desired or remove & store when not needed?

https://www.bikehighway.com/pipeline-truck-bed-bicycle-rack.html

@HeadedToTexas lol. Thanks for the non-advice. : ) I thought about scooters but the wife is not a fan (I ride them around Seattle all the time) and we can carry more stuff on the bikes, which we do.

@bacchus I was thinking something similar. Someone also suggested a bar or two that extends from the deck railing and connects to the bike at the seat and steering stems. That sounds more like a project.

What is your bike deck? Up top or the cockpit?

I saw a vessel when walking the docks with the bikes mounted vertically on the outside bulkhead aft in the cockpit. This vessel had a lot of room there, a larger cockpit than yours, you might not want to take up as much walking space. But if you did you could use something like this: https://parkis.eu/?gclid=CjwKCAjwg4...NVrVsQ8MMC7XGdN5FTUMxgx-7DBBT7BBoCwpcQAvD_BwE to be fancy, or get something less fancy.

Last edited:
What is your bike deck? Up top or the cockpit?

I saw a vessel when walking the docks with the bikes mounted vertically on the outside bulkhead aft in the cockpit. This vessel had a lot of room there, a larger cockpit than yours, you might not want to take up as much walking space. But if you did you could use something like this: https://parkis.eu/?gclid=CjwKCAjwg4...NVrVsQ8MMC7XGdN5FTUMxgx-7DBBT7BBoCwpcQAvD_BwE to be fancy, or get something less fancy.

I like the ease represented above. Though those still take up a lot of space.

If you are only looking for storage solutions, check out what Yakima has. They seem to have explored more different solutions than others.

I used to use the roof of my car, towed behind my Motorhome, for bike storage when on the road. When I changed cars and had to use an enclosed trailer, I needed a new solution. Yakima locking front axle pins mounted on a short length of Aluminum box tubing, itself high on the front wall of the trailer, got the bikes up above the hood of the car, securely fastened to that wall.

Once you have a mounting solution, then you will need a cover. Self sewn Sunbrella?

I’d suggest a visit to your local pro bike shop. Amazing the thought that has been put into bike storage and transport solutions. When my wife used to race triathlons we managed to mount her bike to the car roof, inside the plane, cockpit of the boat, bed of the truck and inside the motor home. Some systems keyed off of removing the front wheel and securing the forks, others were a post that secured to the bike frame. I preferred removing the wheel and securing it separately. Yakima was my favorite system.

My advice would be to have electric bikes that fold or are compact enough to store inside the boat.

I had a Trek mountain bike with disc brakes that I would store up on the boat deck, with "bike pajama's" covering it(down to deck level). However, after a few years the disc calipers became rusty (along with some other parts...)and basically needed replacing. I suggest avoiding external storage of bikes on a boat unless it's just for one or two trips.

Before I got around to doing that my house was burgled and the Trek, plus a Cannondale road bike, was stolen. So I'm about to search for a suitable electric bike to store inside, and I'll start a seperate thread on that in a little while.

My advice would be to have electric bikes that fold or are compact enough to store inside the boat.

I had a Trek mountain bike with disc brakes that I would store up on the boat deck, with "bike pajama's" covering it(down to deck level). However, after a few years the disc calipers became rusty (along with some other parts...)and basically needed replacing. I suggest avoiding external storage of bikes on a boat unless it's just for one or two trips.

Before I got around to doing that my house was burgled and the Trek, plus a Cannondale road bike, was stolen. So I'm about to search for a suitable electric bike to store inside, and I'll start a seperate thread on that in a little while.

Brian
As a recent purchaser of an e-bike for Janet, weight is now the big consideration for storing it on the boat. Her old road bike weighs ~10kg. The new e-bike was among the lightest in our local market, at over 20kg, plus the weight of the detachable battery pack. Getting that weight on or off the boat will definitely be only my job, and not one I will look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom