Old 11-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
Burn boats in Green Cove Springs marina

Like they said in "old elpaso" - shi..happens, but most was the "hurry up" and bypass some safety procedures. On 19th this month, 3 guys preparing twin gasoline engine power boat for towing 2 salvage boats from St.Augustine. It was getting late when they fill up the tanks. Then they found out that one of the tanks was leaking. They got large external tank, set up on back deck and begin transfering the fuel from the leaking boat. I was in my boat in next slip when I hear and felt explosion - the boat just blew up. I went out to see what happen and saw the boat on fire - wind was blowing toward my boat. Run inside and grab my dog - Lucky. Try to untied my boat and get out of the flame way, but had too many lines(6). It was too hot and I had to get out. From distance, I watch my life burn out. The fire trucks arrive and put water on burning boats. They fill up my boat and the boat sunk. I had only liability insurance. Lesson learn - do not park next to gasoline boat.
https://www.gofundme.com/green-cove-...1689776&pos=23 link to gofundme page if interested. Right now, I am in motel and waiting on a boat.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built

Really sorry for you, this must be really a shocking event.
At least you are safe and you went out of this without injury, thisnmay have been worse.

All my sympaties.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Hang on, their insurance should be paying for your losses.

Have you got their insurance details?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

They had no insurance - this marina does not require to have any insurance. I am on my own as they had small business and were not doing well. The owner and his co-worker still in hospital from burns. Live goes on.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Agree with the hang on till sll the insurance dust settles...just because they don't have boat insurance, if they have other types of insurance it can be a target.

When a drunk stumbled into a highway at night and my truck mirror hit him causing $500 damage to my truck (window and mirror), my insurance said because it was to a pedestrian, tough AND .because he didn't have homeowners to go after. Not sure how it all really works, but talk to a3 lawyer before giving up...only takes time, no money till they tell you what is possible usually.

In addition to watching neighbor boats for dangers...make sure you can untie your boat in seconds or close.

Can't comment on the ops method of tying up a boat....it may have been fine and just overwhelmed by fire.

But many experienced boaters I know tie boats up poorly in my estimation......especially critical for fires and storms.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #6

Just went trough hurricane. My boat did good because was tie down good. I expected another strong wind - not fire.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Oh that sucks, dude.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodestination View Post
I had only liability insurance. Lesson learn - do not park next to gasoline boat.
https://www.gofundme.com/green-cove-...1689776&pos=23 link to gofundme page if interested. Right now, I am in motel and waiting on a boat.
I am very sorry that you lost your boat but am very glad that you and your dog were unharmed.

I disagree with the lessons learned. Folks park next to gasoline powered boats all the time with no issues. Plenty of diesel powered boats have started marina fires due to electrical problems.

It seems to me you are missing the biggest lesson of all, insure yourself against losses that you can't absorb. If your boat is your home, you should insure it as such. If you can afford to self-insure, i.e. you can pay cash to replace the boat, then insurance is not needed. However, if you can't afford to replace the loss, that is what insurance is for.

Now it is my turn to sound like an uncaring *******. Without a lot more information there is no way I would donate to help cover a loss that the owner didn't feel was worth insuring in the first place.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #9

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Boat fire

I sleep and shower with out a knife, even then with in arms reach. And at dock side have large hose ready both sides. But a sharp blade is always a friend.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
That really bad experience of life, did you was living onboard?

Insurance are all time to expensive when you need to pay but when you need it you happy to have.

How people can work with boat and don't have insurance?
In my country you can't and glad in my marina you need to show insurance to come in.

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Sorry to hear about the loss. These days my biggest concern is a nearby boat in the marina catching fire, so I'm glad we have a lot of liveaboards and fire hoses on the main finger.

A marina that does not require proof of insurance is one to avoid. Also, any decent marina will prohibit any fuel handling or transfer in boat slips, restricting it to a fuel dock only.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Sorry to hear about the loss. These days my biggest concern is a nearby boat in the marina catching fire, so I'm glad we have a lot of liveaboards and fire hoses on the main finger.

A marina that does not require proof of insurance is one to avoid. Also, any decent marina will prohibit any fuel handling or transfer in boat slips, restricting it to a fuel dock only.
Brian, Green Cove Springs is full of working docks - not so much marinas.

It was probably one of those.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Nodestination, that's a horrible story. My sympathies concerning all that you've lost, and congrats that you saved your dog and yourself. What a fiasco.

Psneeld is right that you should consult an attorney, and I would add that you should ask around for a referral to someone who makes a specialty of admiralty (maritime) law. It is an arcane area of practice, and you may have to come up to Jacksonville to find someone with good experience.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #14

If the other guy had at least the liability ( is cheap), I would be OK. There should be a law that require to have at least basic insurance. About the full coverage, I did give a tough, but have to balance my "check book". That is why I lived in cheap marina.
On positive side - the guy that caused my boat to burn is paying for the motel and is looking for a boat for me - salvage boat. I hope that my next boat will not need a lot of work - getting too old for that.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Best of luck, you seem to have an optimistic attitude all things considered.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Sorry but at least you and your dog survived.

We don't usually get to say what boats are docked near us and even the requirement for insurance doesn't always help because someone might let it lapse or fake it in the first place.

I would like to have laws that one must carry at least liability insurance to own and register a boat (just like with cars in some states) but I doubt it will ever happen.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
Guru

Here in Kalifornia we have compulsory auto insurance, but they admit that 1/4 on all cars on the road are uninsured, (it's closer to 1/2.)
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:50 PM   #18
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Timely post! Recently the empty stall aside our boat was taken by a equally older 33 foot twin engine gas powered boat. In sad condition. I will not attempt to describe the conditions visually existing save to add that the owner, with absolutely no concept of boating enough to ask. The owner inherited the boat in the current condition and moved it into a water moorage as land storage was too expensive. On occasion she would start the one engine that would start and it would sputter during the exercise.
The fear of this craft blowing up due to the lack of maintenance scared me to no end.

During this time and still, (the boat was sold to a couple of underfunded young who have cleaned the boat up, yet start the engines (yes, the other one now runs as poorly as the first) more frequently, has me considering applying for a new float location.

I carry liability insurance. As such I ask the forum: Is the concept of a publicly owned marina (City of Ketchikan) requiring boat owners renting moorage by the month,quartertly,annual basis, provide on a contract moorage basis, a copy or information of a current liability insurance policy to limit potential issues of safety unconstitutional or unfair?
Asked on the basis that conforming sanitary units are required and on record with the harbor department eliminating providing health Asked as access to many marina floats by non-boaters is provided by gated access, IE; limiting potential crime.

Understand, this is not about adding laws, powers, for the reason of having the desire to, more it is about common sense in limiting potential fiscal pain to innocent owners to a distructive action.
My liability coverage includes other public benefits were it enacted, pollution cost are covered, sunk recovery cost are included in addition to damage to other boats.

Yes, as a earlier poster indicated on mandatory insurance, up to 1/2 are driving without insurance proof, however in the matter of the monthly, quarterly, annual rental payment, providing current proof with payment would seemly cut down the issue of lack of insurance by users.

Comments? Dumb suggestion? For seen Legal issues?

Regards,
Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben Pocket Marine Fly Bridge Sedan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Many marinas are requiring "also insured" for longer term boats and proof of insurance even for overnight transients.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Proof of insurance is absolutely appropriate and better marinas require it. They even require them to be added as named additional insured as well. Every apartment complex I know of does this. Every condo association.

I also think if you feel a boat threatens your safety you should absolutely go to the manager of the facility and, if no response, notify them in writing.

Safety should be a priority and sometimes it has to be "legislated."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote