Old 11-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Always operate my boat with the platform raised/folded.

We raise ours up as well and did meet a fellow this summer from the US doing the loop and his boat (about 43') was on the hard at the Buckhorn Marina for repairs. His swim platform was half ripped off. When asked what happened he indicated that he got caught in some following seas on the east coast and that a very large wave came over the stern, filled his dingy which was on a cradle on his swim platform and ripped it right off. He had to cut one line holding it to the boat. He radioed the coast guard to indicate the dingy was afloat and the position last seen. He said conditions were too severe to turn to attempt a retrieval of any kind. The coast guard called him a few hours later and told him someone had spotted it and he told them they were welcome to it that he was not turning around for it. It can happen given the right conditions.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Typical swim steps of about 2'6" are one thing, huge platforms that carry dingy's etc are another matter altogether.

Whilst getting some work done earlier in the year, the local shipwright was telling me about a 70' boat coming through the Gold Coast Seaway with a Jetski on a hydraulic platform. The whole thing was ripped off, and repairs totalled a bit more than $130,000.

Unless the swim step has an extension of the hull lines underneath it I would want a folding one if possible.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark that a really good stern step.
That would even work on Willy.
Do you tow your dink?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
We raise ours up as well and did meet a fellow this summer from the US doing the loop and his boat (about 43') was on the hard at the Buckhorn Marina for repairs. His swim platform was half ripped off. When asked what happened he indicated that he got caught in some following seas on the east coast and that a very large wave came over the stern, filled his dingy which was on a cradle on his swim platform and ripped it right off. .
I greatly prefer keeping the RIB on the flybridge and, if space available, prefer a garage over keeping it on a swim platform. However, on our loop boat we did, after much deliberation, get it set up to be on the platform. We just did not want to sacrifice the space a garage would have required.

I see a few things in our set up though that reduce the risk and issues. First, the platform is high. It is also designed as an integral part of the boat. So while it is a separate piece, the boat has a section as part of the hull that is flat and that the platform connects to as level with when it's up. The attachment of the platform is very strong, but we still regularly check it. We also carry the boat it was designed to carry on it, the only one I've ever seen on one, even in photos, a Williams Jet Tender 385. It is 12'6" and weighs 794 pounds which is below the conservative capacity of 1000 pounds. We also double tie the RIB and always have the cover on it tightly when underway. We normally have it on it even when docked. A cover and keeping your eye on that cover can prevent it being filled with water. So, if the platform isn't visible from the helm, I think a camera showing it is essential. Last, we have the speed to adjust to a better speed in relationship to the following waves.

If I was getting a hydraulic platform, there are very few people I would allow to install it. I know some in South Florida. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone on the West Coast but would think there must be someone. Several of the places in South Florida do the platforms for many brands of new boats. Some would be amazed even on boats like Sea Ray or Hatteras that they don't build things you think they do. For instance, many Hatteras hardtops have been built by Pipewelders. I believe some arches have been. SeaLift builds platforms for Sea Ray, Hinckley, Grand Banks and did for Lazzara. Some of them will build and install anywhere. i know TNT will. Here's a good video of a TNT lift that is very well done. Note the height to which it can be raised.

https://youtu.be/Adt0JKWE-kc

So, I'm not sold on carrying a tender on a hydraulic swim platform in general but I do believe if the platform is built right, installed right, and all issues taken into consideration by a builder with experience, one can work well and with minimal risk of damage. I've seen platforms on some very nice boats that cause issues in certain cruising conditions. It's not, "here's a nice platform, let's attach it like we do trim tabs, and let's toss the boat on there".
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
IMO - the dinghy may be ok on its side on the swim step, but you are asking for trouble carrying it on its bottom.

A 6 foot breaking wave crashing down on your swim step with the dinghy holding a large amount of water (at least momentarily), would be a similar force to that of a one ton weight dropping 4 ft onto the swim step.
Damage is certainly possible if the swim step doesn't shed the water instantly. With the dinghy secured on its side, the force of the water is much more likely to be deflected.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
It isn't just breaking waves, its also the stern pitching downwards in heavy conditions. A big flat surface smacking down into the water creates huge upwards force on the platform mounts.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
A big flat surface smacking down into the water creates huge upwards force on the platform mounts.
i agree & when I had a dinghy, it was mounted on the bow. The problem with a bow mount is that you can't launch the damn thing when in a slip that has finger docks on both sides. Bow in or stern in, makes no difference. (Hence, my reason for selling the damn thing and buying a good life raft.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy...Before & After.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	58589  
Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Mark...
Do you tow your dink?
Not yet. And I'm not sure the dink and I are compatible. But Ray likes it!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark,
You and the dink not compatible?
Tell me it isn't true.

OK tell me what you don't like about the Trinka. Can't belive there's something wrong w the Trinka. Must be too heavy for the way you want to carry it. I have a dink about exactly the same size and weight. Too heavy .. but it's light.

If you are ready to start towing it consider that it's a FD hull (or nearly so) w a hull speed of about 4 knots. A planing hull dinghy would probably have much less drag at your cruising speed .. that I'm sure is faster than mine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
I've got one of those 'very common Rivieras' (gee thanks Bruce )....
Oops, I meant popular, a lot of Rivs seem to have a big crane mounted on the foredeck. My next boat could be a 37, if I found a 2 helm version.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #31
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We carry our dinghy on a mount/davit system bolted to the swim platform. The swim platform is attached to the boat in the normal way, but we also added the additional transom bracing to the mount itself to increase the weight rating well beyond the actual weight our dink. That additional bracing wouldn't work with a hydraulic (movable) swim platform, though.

The nature of the mount system raises the dinghy several inches higher than the swim platform, and that helps... but I think I'll raise it another couple inches next time I need to service that part of the system.

Anyway, what I was going to add is that our tie-down system is sacrificial, on purpose. Two swipes with the boat knife, and the dingy is free to move about the country.

Overall, I'd rate the stern carry as OK, recognizing there can be issues with it. Coming down off plane, and crossing stern lines, are the two most common in our case. Weather and especially following seas would be a big deal, although we usually have the freedom to wait it out or change directions... and we're usually inland anyway... so that hasn't actually bit is on the a$$ yet.

We just don't have lots of choices with this particular boat. (Foredeck carry would block our escape hatch, and hose up the view forward, too.)

-Chris
Old 11-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #32
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Why not put the dinghy on the upper deck??????
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #33
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Why not put the dinghy on the upper deck??????

You mean me? No room for a boat on our flying bridge.

Or did you mean Tacoma?

-Chris
Old 04-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #34

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Grand Spirit
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisHamish View Post
We installed a large hydraulic swim platform on our GB46, lifting capacity of 500kg and tied all the way back through to the hull stringers with two very large and heavy custom metal brackets. I think it would be sensible to check that the platform on your proposed boat is tied back to the hull stringers, not just bolted onto the transom.

Our tender is an AB AL13 alumina with a 40hp 4 stroke, weighing 320kg. It can and does fit on the hydraulic platform, but I never have it there when heading into any kind of open or near open water. For those trips I use the crane and stow it aft of the flybridge. All that would be needed for trouble is one rogue green wave on the stern and the tender would be full....

As others have mentioned, you could get a crane put on the foredeck of your proposed boat and stow the tender there when at sea. Heaps of Aussies have that configuration on Rivieras and Maritimos, mostly using the local crane brands here: Davao and ADC - both have websites showing this solution.

Another option, again as others mention, is to modify your hydraulic lift so that it lifts up much higher than it currently does.

Finally, in a following sea the transom on our boat does fine (without the tender on it). It get very wet, but that's about it, and it is very securely attached.

Good luck!

H.
Hamish
I live in Perth, WA.
I am thinking of fitting a Presto Marine XL500F hydraulic lift on the swim platform of my Grand Banks 42 Classic.
In view of your experience I would appreciate speaking with you.
My number is 0418923103 and email is: denis@denisglennon.com I am happy to call you if you wish.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks
Denis Glennon
Denis Glennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #35
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Glennon View Post
Hamish
I live in Perth, WA.
I am thinking of fitting a Presto Marine XL500F hydraulic lift on the swim platform of my Grand Banks 42 Classic.
In view of your experience I would appreciate speaking with you.
My number is 0418923103 and email is: denis@denisglennon.com I am happy to call you if you wish.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks
Denis Glennon
Hey Dennis, may I suggest you send a private message (PM). I would use caution posting your phone number and email.

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote