Big Hydraulic Swim Step offshore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We carry our dinghy on a mount/davit system bolted to the swim platform. The swim platform is attached to the boat in the normal way, but we also added the additional transom bracing to the mount itself to increase the weight rating well beyond the actual weight our dink. That additional bracing wouldn't work with a hydraulic (movable) swim platform, though.

The nature of the mount system raises the dinghy several inches higher than the swim platform, and that helps... but I think I'll raise it another couple inches next time I need to service that part of the system.

Anyway, what I was going to add is that our tie-down system is sacrificial, on purpose. Two swipes with the boat knife, and the dingy is free to move about the country.

Overall, I'd rate the stern carry as OK, recognizing there can be issues with it. Coming down off plane, and crossing stern lines, are the two most common in our case. Weather and especially following seas would be a big deal, although we usually have the freedom to wait it out or change directions... and we're usually inland anyway... so that hasn't actually bit is on the a$$ yet.

We just don't have lots of choices with this particular boat. (Foredeck carry would block our escape hatch, and hose up the view forward, too.)

-Chris

Why not put the dinghy on the upper deck??????

We installed a large hydraulic swim platform on our GB46, lifting capacity of 500kg and tied all the way back through to the hull stringers with two very large and heavy custom metal brackets. I think it would be sensible to check that the platform on your proposed boat is tied back to the hull stringers, not just bolted onto the transom.

Our tender is an AB AL13 alumina with a 40hp 4 stroke, weighing 320kg. It can and does fit on the hydraulic platform, but I never have it there when heading into any kind of open or near open water. For those trips I use the crane and stow it aft of the flybridge. All that would be needed for trouble is one rogue green wave on the stern and the tender would be full....

As others have mentioned, you could get a crane put on the foredeck of your proposed boat and stow the tender there when at sea. Heaps of Aussies have that configuration on Rivieras and Maritimos, mostly using the local crane brands here: Davao and ADC - both have websites showing this solution.

Another option, again as others mention, is to modify your hydraulic lift so that it lifts up much higher than it currently does.

Finally, in a following sea the transom on our boat does fine (without the tender on it). It get very wet, but that's about it, and it is very securely attached.

Good luck!

H.
Hamish
I live in Perth, WA.
I am thinking of fitting a Presto Marine XL500F hydraulic lift on the swim platform of my Grand Banks 42 Classic.
In view of your experience I would appreciate speaking with you.
My number is 0418923103 and email is: denis@denisglennon.com I am happy to call you if you wish.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks
Denis Glennon

Hamish
I live in Perth, WA.
I am thinking of fitting a Presto Marine XL500F hydraulic lift on the swim platform of my Grand Banks 42 Classic.
In view of your experience I would appreciate speaking with you.
My number is 0418923103 and email is: denis@denisglennon.com I am happy to call you if you wish.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Many Thanks
Denis Glennon

Hey Dennis, may I suggest you send a private message (PM). I would use caution posting your phone number and email.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom