Bicycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwclark

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lazy Grady, Man O War
Vessel Make
1992 and 1994 Grady Whites 24’ Explorers
10/11/20 need source for best grade, best salt tolerant, fold up (most compact type) Bikes for travel on a small 24’, cabin type boat. Plan is to secure them to walk around area that surrounds the cabin.

You might also want to consider small electric "scooters", as they're even less bulky.

Unless you find some exotic, top dollar one.....most all still have steel parts in them that will rust if exposed outside on a boat subject to spray...even under a cover. A bag might work.....

The most susceptible parts to rusting are often the brakes, gears and derailers.....I went with a single speed, aluminum folder to avoid all that. Yes harder to pedal in hills...fortunately most coastal towns along the US East Coast aren't too hilly.

Plus folded they might still be wide enough to block passage by them on a walkaround.

My bike was $299 and am happy with it....but if you are looking for the more exotic....Google top folding bikes of 2020 and you will start up around $2000.

We have a pair of Dahon Mariner folding bikes. They sell for about $800 and have aluminum frames, 8 speeds and stainless chain. We keep ours in large nylon bags and they have held up well. They are still a bit bulky when folded, but we were able to fit 2 of them in the back seat of a Mini Cooper convertible when we purchased them. They have 20" tires. There are some with 12 and 16" tires which will be more compact,, but you want to test ride them, as they can feel a little squirrelly to handle.

hard seats, poor steering geometry, bulky are some of the reasons i would not buy another bike. the advances in battery scooters make them really worth investigation.

Whatever you choose you will need some way to inflate the tires.

If you are really a high roller, you might like this,

MOULTON Bicycle Company

Stainless, and while it doesn't fold, it comes apart. Only about $20,000.00

(yes, I have ridden one)

Ches

I used a Dahon Mariner folding bike for a year or so while cruising the east coast. It now sits folded up on my garage wall.

It is small and light enough to easily move to shore with your dinghy. That would be quite a chore with some of the e-bikes today.

Yes it has steel parts that are unavoidable and can rust: sprockets, chain, etc. Spray them down with your favorite spray lube and wipe them down to get salt and incipient rust off and spray again to deter it. Mine is still quite serviceable many years later.

David

We had a look at these a couple weeks ago. The folding unit looked handy and seemed small when folded. Its about the size of what we called a sting-ray when we were kids. The other unit is called rover. We are going back up on thursday to take a look. They are electric but also a bike so you can use all electric and ride it like a motorcycle or use a level 1-5 for pedal assist so it ends up helping for a hill or a longer journey.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

"One Wheel"!

Unless you can store them inside or totally covered you should rethink the quality aspect. They will be a rusty mess in a matter of weeks or maybe months.

Buy cheap Walmart bikes and leave them at a marina when you get new ones. Resale shops always have bikes for around $20.00

pete

You cannot beat this bike. We have had ours for 3 years now. They are all aluminum. Anything "silver" we spray with Boeshield. When we are done from a trip, we rinse them in fresh water and reapply Boeshield to the silver parts. Bikes look like new!!! These are on sale currently.

https://www.amazon.com/8pk-Ballpoin...428074&sprefix=folding+bike+zi,aps,178&sr=8-3

I'll second the Boeshield, great product. I buy a lot of that, and buy corrosion X by the gallon.

I love my tandem electric bike and it it quit, I'd buy the same thing again. (My partner is not a biker so works for me).

I just keep it out in the open, no cover to heat things up, and keep it clean with fresh water and a coating of Boeshield on the parts that could rust. Still looks great after a year on the boat.

Yes, if you don't treat steel items they will rust fast.... and aluminum will corrode.

Back
Top Bottom