Beware of third party "for fee" boat documentation providers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see the fuss. The USCG sends me a letter, I sign it and send it back.. Lately with a check.

Wifey B: What? That's dark ages. Letter? Sign it? Check? :nonono::nonono::nonono: Does not compute. :rofl:

We go online, fill out the form on line, submit payment of $26 online (we do credit card but they also do ACH). Oh and renewals they've gotten like super fast on. They're on August 14 now so only 9 days. New recreational about 3 months now.

I use to use stamps and mail and even wrote checks. I haven't done either of those in a long long long time. I wonder if my niece, Aurora, will ever even know what those things are. :hide:

So many options, so many with blinders on.....

Insread of being scammed at the fron door like the 60s, now it is in a form many of us use but need to be wary of the same BS.

No, that's what the $75 company does, not what the $300 or $500 company does. There are excellent, legitimate, documentation agencies.

True, but the OPs issue was a $500 company. Even $75 for a $26 renewal is a bit high.

I have no issues with the scammers as long as they don't look like the CG, which is not the case.

It's perfectly acceptable to pay for value received, IF there's some value... they provide something you don't want to do or can't do.

True, but the OPs issue was a $500 company. Even $75 for a $26 renewal is a bit high.

I have no issues with the scammers as long as they don't look like the CG, which is not the case.

It's perfectly acceptable to pay for value received, IF there's some value... they provide something you don't want to do or can't do.

We don't know at all that the OPS was scammed. He hasn't said what he was billed for. My guess remains that he was also being charged for Michigan registration. I asked that question. It wasn't answered.

I don't believe someone recommended by Skipper Bud's charged him $500 for USCG documentation with no other services included. I think there was some confusion.

We don't know at all that the OPS was scammed. He hasn't said what he was billed for. My guess remains that he was also being charged for Michigan registration. I asked that question. It wasn't answered.

I don't believe someone recommended by Skipper Bud's charged him $500 for USCG documentation with no other services included. I think there was some confusion.

BandB,

Could be, but here's his post:

<<<What would have cost$89 with the coast guard was $525 with these jokers. There is nothing legitimate about that. They do not provide any extra services whatsoever, and I call that 500%.>>>>

Sounds like a rip off to me. Now if there's more, I'm all ears.

BandB,

Could be, but here's his post:

<<<What would have cost$89 with the coast guard was $525 with these jokers. There is nothing legitimate about that. They do not provide any extra services whatsoever, and I call that 500%.>>>>

Sounds like a rip off to me. Now if there's more, I'm all ears.

Sounds like he's misinformed to me. Now, I may be wrong, but just detail what the invoice said then. He also asked if I was a documentation agency. Where did his $89 amount come from? It's not accurate. $84 if you let documentation expire and it had to be returned to documentation. Otherwise $26. I'm all ears too, but he's gone silent.

I will add, regardless of the amount charged I don't and don't understand using an agency for a renewal. Simple and straightforward.

The trickiest part of initial documentation is determining the critical dimensions. Don't see how a documentation service can handle that. Got the essential information from the boat's builder, and it was a "snap" to document with the USCG.

I will add, regardless of the amount charged I don't and don't understand using an agency for a renewal. Simple and straightforward.

Yes, just deal directly with the USCG and send the nominal fee.

I don't think some of the complaints are as much about fees as they are the misrepresentation with enough USCG glitter that it has led people to believe they are dealing directly with the USCG....
That nails the problem. It`s a deception. If someone deceives you by posing as someone else for profit, they are working a scam.
I know at least one poster can`t see that,but it`s obvious to me.

There is no "scam" here and no "rip-off". You are dealing with a title company, a legitimate company that provides services and charges for those services. They deserve to be paid for their time and expertise.

Explain what service they provide. You can go to the CG website, take 2-3 minutes to fill out their online form, give them your credit card number for $26 and you are done.

Go to the scam company, take 2-3 minutes to fill out their online form, give them your credit card number for $75 and you are done....$49 poorer and in many instances, when you get your document, it is only for 11 months, not 12. I've read a few posts where people only got 10 months of renewal.

Again, explain the service they provide.

That nails the problem. It`s a deception. If someone deceives you by posing as someone else for profit, they are working a scam.
I know at least one poster can`t see that,but it`s obvious to me.

That was not the case here though. He knew he wasn't dealing directly.

BandB,

That IS the case, re read post no. 1! And that's the jest of the whole thread.

You're right that he claimed that in post #1. I'd forgotten as he clearly indicated later it was a service Skipper Bud's used and that's why he used them. Frankly, I'm not sure what the gist of his complaint was or whether it was actually jest as your Freudian slip might suggest. He talked about deceptive sites, then Skipper Bud's which would have nothing to do with those sites. He said he'd done it twice. Then he claimed $525 vs. $89 and neither of those numbers makes sense. The sites that are made to look like the USCG do not charge $500 and the USCG doesn't charge $89. He never told us what site or company he's accusing, nor what they actually invoiced him for in services. If he was scammed then show us how. I asked if Michigan registration was included and he didn't answer. The only people he's accused of anything by name is Skipper Bud's and he needs to provide information to support that rather than tossing that out wildly since he accused them of "sharing the take."

I know all about those being deceived and paying $75 instead of $26. I find those companies deplorable but aren't going to cry too much over the loss of $49 for a dumb mistake since all of us make far dumber and more expensive mistakes. I have an issue with google giving them top placement with their ads when you search and have complained to them both as an individual and as an advertiser.

I have no idea what the situation with the OP was but his posts just don't seem to make sense at this point. Regardless he said he got his money refunded after disputing the transaction.

Now, if he disputed and got his documentation through them then more problems, but apparently didn't get the documentation.

However you view it, if you give your credit card details to someone who pretends to be someone else so they can extract from you $ over and above the real cost the person they pretend to be would charge, they are not to be trusted, period. Especially with credit card details.

You're right that he claimed that in post #1. I'd forgotten as he clearly indicated later it was a service Skipper Bud's used and that's why he used them. Frankly, I'm not sure what the gist of his complaint was or whether it was actually jest as your Freudian slip might suggest. He talked about deceptive sites, then Skipper Bud's which would have nothing to do with those sites. He said he'd done it twice. Then he claimed $525 vs. $89 and neither of those numbers makes sense. The sites that are made to look like the USCG do not charge $500 and the USCG doesn't charge $89. He never told us what site or company he's accusing, nor what they actually invoiced him for in services. If he was scammed then show us how. I asked if Michigan registration was included and he didn't answer. The only people he's accused of anything by name is Skipper Bud's and he needs to provide information to support that rather than tossing that out wildly since he accused them of "sharing the take."

I know all about those being deceived and paying $75 instead of $26. I find those companies deplorable but aren't going to cry too much over the loss of $49 for a dumb mistake since all of us make far dumber and more expensive mistakes. I have an issue with google giving them top placement with their ads when you search and have complained to them both as an individual and as an advertiser.

I have no idea what the situation with the OP was but his posts just don't seem to make sense at this point. Regardless he said he got his money refunded after disputing the transaction.

Now, if he disputed and got his documentation through them then more problems, but apparently didn't get the documentation.

I won't dispute what you say because Im not going over this thread again, ain't worth it. He sent the message to beware of scams and he was scammed, regaredless of getting his money back. So the word is be careful who you deal with.

Explain what service they provide. You can go to the CG website, take 2-3 minutes to fill out their online form, give them your credit card number for $26 and you are done.

Go to the scam company, take 2-3 minutes to fill out their online form, give them your credit card number for $75 and you are done....$49 poorer and in many instances, when you get your document, it is only for 11 months, not 12. I've read a few posts where people only got 10 months of renewal.

Again, explain the service they provide.

You don't understand what the word "scam" means.

You don't understand what the word "scam" means.

Scam...a fraudulent or DECEPTIVE act or operation.

I've read MANY posts on numerous boating forums and everyone who dealt with these people thought they were dealing with the actual Coast Guard and not some 3rd party service company.
They did it because they were DECEIVED by the mailed letter and website into thinking they were dealing with the Coast Guard.

Why does the company use a West VA return address when the letter is mailed from their office in California. They use the WVA address as part of the DECEPTION.

So yes, they meet the description of scam.

Scam...a fraudulent or DECEPTIVE act or operation.

I've read MANY posts on numerous boating forums and everyone who dealt with these people thought they were dealing with the actual Coast Guard and not some 3rd party service company.
They did it because they were DECEIVED by the mailed letter and website into thinking they were dealing with the Coast Guard.

Why does the company use a West VA return address when the letter is mailed from their office in California. They use the WVA address as part of the DECEPTION.

So yes, they meet the description of scam.

If you say so. :banghead:

In real life, not everything bad that happens to you is someone else's fault. Pay attention next time.

So many people in various forums have said they felt deceived...at least at first....the amount of deception can be debated, but there was certainly effort on the part of the company to make people feel that way.

If you say so. :banghead:

In real life, not everything bad that happens to you is someone else's fault. Pay attention next time.

I'm the first to admit I was an idiot for not paying better attention and falling for this scam, and yes, it is an intentional deception. No ifs, ands or buts about it. The company has done a great job making boaters think they are the CG.

All I'm doing is trying to get the word out so others don't fall for this scam and I don't hesitate to say I was one of the idiots taken advantage of.

It is easy for some to sit back after reading about other's misfortunes and write how foolish you were and it was so obvious....

Wonder what would be what had their documentation come due before all the pists about the USCG look-a-like site popped up. :)

Nearly every day I get letters in the mail that look like "official" business.. Government, Social Security, etc. They are not of course, they are attempts to fool the recipient.

This seems dishonest to me but it's not illegal. You have to read these things carefully before you respond.

No kidding, doesn't make it right just because it is legal.

I know someone that comains about things on TF and getsvupset when others dont agree with him.... :)

Lets get back to that paying for showers thing...:rofl:

Nearly every day I get letters in the mail that look like "official" business.. Government, Social Security, etc. They are not of course, they are attempts to fool the recipient.

This seems dishonest to me but it's not illegal. You have to read these things carefully before you respond.

You are absolutely correct. The big difference...it was in the back of my mind that a letter would be coming soon in the mail from the CG reminding me my renewal was coming up. So when the scam letter came, as far as I was concerned, it was from the CG. My guard was dropped and I didn't read it carefully.
That's how this company operates...they send out their letter a week or two before the CG, the boater gets it, thinking, yeah, it's that time of year again. I'll go ahead and renew now. When they see it's $75 and not $26, we just assume another attempt of big govt to get more of our money.

Hey, someone beat the deception, now they like beating you..... :)

Chuck34, thank you for alerting TF members to a deceptive scam which unfortunately was successful in your case.
People should be thanking you for being upfront, saying you got conned and how it happened. They should not be finding fault and criticising you because you got scammed, in my book that approaches trolling, looking for mistakes others made to criticize them. That kind of response is likely to lead to members not disclosing episodes like this,leaving other members at risk.
Well done Chuck34.

Admitting mistskes and finding better, cheaper but safe ways to approach boating is what this is all about.

Slamming an honest mistake or telling people they are too stupid to do thingds well because they didnt work in that career path is not what I am or I think this forum should be all about.

Beware of third party &quot;for fee&quot; boat documentation providers!

It is easy for some to sit back after reading about other's misfortunes and write how foolish you were and it was so obvious....

Wonder what would be what had their documentation come due before all the pists about the USCG look-a-like site popped up. :)

Mine did. I went to the website listed on the letter thinking the letter was from the USCG. It was when I got to the website and started to fill out the form that it started to feel a bit off. Not sure what it was. I then looked closely and realized that it wasn't the USCG. I then found the real site, and renewed my registration.

I got the real letter in the mail from the USCG reminding me the registration was due a week later.

I was lucky. I could very easily have not noticed and sent in $75. I certainly understand how and why this scam is successful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom