Best vacuum-bagging system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
I've decided to vacuum bag as many of our spares as will fit in whatever bag sizes and shapes are best... but I don't know enough about the process to shop very well on systems, bag sizes/dimensions, etc.

Can some of ya'll recommend the best systems (brands, models) and variations on bag designs and so forth? Pros and cons? Ideal features? Features to be avoided?

The largest spare part I can think if just now is a Sherwood raw water pump, probably an awkward size and shape. But in general, I'd like to pretty much bag everything that's practical to be bagged.

Might even use it for food after that, too. :)

-Chris

Mine is a "Food Saver" brand. I think they make a lot of the available ones, just different models. I just went to Walmart and looked at them. I didn't get the cheapest and I didn't get the most expensive.

They make different sizes of bags and they make continuous rolls so you could bag a broom if you wanted to.

Do a web search on the subject and you'll get lots of information and reviews.

We have a "Food Saver" that is at least 10 years old. This thing is great and I was a skeptic when my wife came home with it. We buy primarily meats in large packs and use the machine to pack in smaller units for the two of us. Before a trip we freeze everything real hard in our dedicated beer cooler/freezer in the garage. On the boat we use a large Yeti filled with ice every several days for beverages. In the galley we have a small counter top ice maker that we start at the end of the day using bottle water to make cubes for the rum and coke. Any ice left goes in a ziplock and into the freezer section.

Works for us.

Thanks, all. FoodSaver FM5480 inbound. This after also viewing some of the various videos to understand how larger bags can work...

The ARY product also looks great, but is large enough (footprint size) that storage would be an issue (even at our home, where we will use the sealer most)... and it was significantly more $$$... so we're just going with the household-type unit.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom