Best Trawler for surviving a Zombie Apocalypse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Bill Bishop chose this Hatteras 58 LRC:

zombie+58+hat+lrc.jpg

Sailboat...

Or a trawler with a steam engine, fuel the boiler with old tires, etc.

Definitely not a power boat. Unless it holds tens of thousands of gallons of fuel and only burns a few gallons an hour.

You guys are not reading Bill's blog post!

You guys are not reading Bill's blog post!

So post a link! I don't know who he is, but he has great taste in boats!

Our plan was to get a fuel barge, camouflage it, retreat to one of our favorite remote anchorages in Georgia and learn how to play the banjo. In the full luxo-living mode, we needed about 6-10 gallons a day of diesel when at anchor. About half that or less if we needed to rough it. Without the barge, we had about 5 months with full tanks. Adding solar and wind, we could do a year.

Definitely not a power boat. Unless it holds tens of thousands of gallons of fuel and only burns a few gallons an hour.

You can stop at this guys filling station and fuel up!

Attachments

• smokers_tanker.jpg
    smokers_tanker.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 101
I was wondering when the movie Mad Max would be mentioned, now it has.
Bill

So post a link! I don't know who he is, but he has great taste in boats!
Click on his name in my first post - it will take you to the article.

He's the author of Marine Installer's Rant. This is truly an epic short story - and it has a great trawler in it!

Greetings,
Mr. Lurker. Mad Max has nothing to do with zombies. I suspect it is a conception of what the Tea Party has in store for the future. That being said, maybe THIS would be a better "bug out" vessel arrayed with solar panels.
8148315956_148a18cc23_z.jpg

I would want a smaller boat, one with ample solar, wind, alternative charging possibly even a fixed hydro generator. I would use as much 12 or 24VDC appliances and devices as possible. A large house battery bank would be ideal to get you through heavy cloud cover as practical, A 12VDC water maker something you could basically anchor and as long as you could catch fish and store freeze dried food (add water and eat). The largest diesel tank a 36 to 42 footer can hold. I think one could survive for well past any event short of Nuclear for almost as long as needed. Plenty of LED lighting an inverter, plenty of passive ducting and DC circulation fans for comfort and a sail assisted rig could minimize fossil fuel usage.
I guess I''m back to thinking a motorsailor with the above equipment would be best? If you had enough area for a large solar panel array then I might consider using a large (AC) propulsion motor this could move the vessel without burning fuel.
Bill

Last edited:
images

or

images

1024px-Uss_panay.png

Steam, shallow draft, built like a brick house, machine shop, lots of room for solar. looks shippy.

The crew and armory would be handy, for the .....zombies.

Last edited:
Actually with two solar panels, and a wind generator Bay Pelican uses about a gallon of diesel a day at anchor. This could be reduced with a little effort by collecting rain water for cleaning and thus reducing the run time on the diesel generator.

Head to Fort Jefferson for me with my 300 gallon of fuel. Lots of fish unaccustomed to being fished. Out of the way so should be good. 1125 amp battery bank, 400 watt wind turbine and 735 watts of solar. 12 volt 140 gallon per day water maker 6.0 kW genset. I think I could last awhile. Maybe aux tanks, blatter, jerry cans for more fuel. Sure get tired of fish though.

It needs to be a steel boat.... rumor is Zombies like the taste of fiberglass.. also works like floss to get the misc bits of rotting flesh from between their teeth and gums... Zombies get cavities too
:dance:

HOLLYWOOD

My wife and I sort of talk about what if? We would fill the fuel tanks and head north into Canada, and meet up with a sister 58. Jim the owner of the sister 58 is a retired commercial captain and spends 6 to 9 month of the year prowling and living off the land/sea between North Vancouver Island and Prince Rupert. He winters in Powell or Campbell River. He called last week asking if I had retired yet, and if we were heading north to hook up with him. He hits a port once a month for supplies and cell reception.

We do have shrimp/crab pots, fishing poles/gear and even 200 ft of commercial net, long range rifles, shot guns, hand guns etc in storage. 1200 gallon of fuel will get us a 1,000 miles and heat the boat for 2 years. Fresh water would be from local streams/water falls. So we could live reasonable comfortable for about 2 years following Jim around living off the land and sea. The trouble is I have never shot/killed an animal and we very seldom fish, crab and pawn.

Ya might look into the welcome the Mounties will give your handguns and there by you if you are discovered with them....just sayin...might not be purdy.
'Course if it is doomsday all bets are off...

Last edited:
December 3, 2014
International travel has now been restricted to flights to and from London and Paris. Africa has gone silent, but China still has some TV stations on air. Nothing that's being reported sounds good. The loan money was deposited in my account. It took of two hours of arguing to extract it as cash. It's 20 bundles of $3000. I have the glimmerings of a plan in mind. A boat would be the safest place to be. Zombies can't swim.

It's a great blog, but Bill has obviously not read World War Z. Zombies do quite well in water.

Googled "Can Zombies swim". Had more hits than if Googled "Best Anchor".:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It's a great blog, but Bill has obviously not read World War Z. Zombies do quite well in water.

Woot! Somebody read it!

Bill's humor, combined with a technical savvy on par with D'Antonio, is unique.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom