Old 12-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #21
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Best sleeps are at anchor (I have a Rocna...).

Usually great sleeps at the dock as well, unless we have a lot of fog overnight. Those fog horns can be very disruptive to your sleep.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #22
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
When everything is calm and peaceful, sleeping anchored in a wild bay is wonderful... However we had one night at anchor with wind of 35+ knots changing from one direction to another, I must tell I woke up many times checking out. Docked it is usually very calm except when a bunch of idiots decide to have a party whole night 2 docks away...

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Docked it is usually very calm except when a bunch of idiots decide to have a party whole night 2 docks away...
or anchored right next to you, Slapping halyards drive me crazy. Then there's bow slap. Noisy generators, forget to chock the head door,

Solution? Soft foam ear plugs. Oblivious to it all. I might wake up on the rocks but I'll get a great nights sleep.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:53 AM   #24
FF
Guru

WE have an overhead compass that works well to know if weather / breeze has changed direction.

Along with an 8inch bed side port for a view of the anchorage
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #25

City: Punta Gorda
Yes, especially when we got our memory foam mattresses.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #26
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I'm a morning person and usually up around 6 AM at home. On the boat I tend to sleep later, maybe because there aren't a lot of things to do once you get out of bed except make some coffee.
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #27

City: Richmond VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I know that the following two points can drive a person "NUTS", but in very small doses they really lull me to sleep. An occasional cry of a gull, or loon or other water birds and the occasional minor "squeak" of a line stretching. In MODERATION of course.

pete
I do sleep well at my marina but not on the hook...

At my last marina there was the 4 am waterman picking up crab pots with the dry stack straight exhaust and what must be 100 pots within 2 miles....

FULL THROTTLE idle
FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle for about a damn hour.....at 4 am
Ric in Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #28

City: Oakville
Vessel Name: Good Vibrations
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
All of the above, plus the experience is arguably the closest to that other period of time in our lives when we were gently rocked to sleep - whilst we were comfortably and securely ensconced in our mother's womb. :-)
Old 12-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Aurora
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
Yep, we definitely sleep better on the boat. My husband doesn't watch TV in bed on the boat, it's darker than our room at home, the mattress is REALLy comfortable, and who knows what other factors go into it, but we sleep great on the boat.
Bellakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #30

City: Courtenay, BC
Vessel Name: Steadfast
Vessel Model: 3870 Bayliner
I sleep extremely well on the boat if anchored out. Docks not so much. However, there was that one anchorage in the Charlottes when I was thrown out of the bunk that interrupted my sleep that night!
Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #31
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Think Ross is on to something. In many respects boat does reproduce the womb. Rhythmic sound (blood flow/heart beat) of mother, floating but with small motions, feeling of being enclosed. Add in you’re general more in tune with natural rhythms. Wake with dawn in bed at cruisers midnight ( 9:30 pm). Yet somehow all captains are sensitive to their boats. A subtle change in motion or sound wakes you right up both at anchor or if underway but off watch.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #32
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Hippocampus wrote, "Yet somehow all captains are sensitive to their boats. A subtle change in motion or sound wakes you right up both at anchor or if underway but off watch."

Yep. I sleep wonderfully aboard - dockside, on the hook or underway. But if something feels or sounds out of the ordinary, I seem to emerge instantly from deep sleep to wide-awake / alert.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #33
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
...the raindrops plinking on the roof and the white noise of the snapping shrimp...
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #34
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
MurrayM says:

There's only two anchorages with flat bottoms around here; everything else is on the edges of estuary drying flats with steep sloping bottoms to one hundred feet or more.

Obviously, you need a bigger/better anchor!
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #35
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Young age, during weekends - Was brought up often sleeping on the raised, center engine hatch of 1948 23' Chris Craft express... while traveling during three seasons on LI NY [not in the winter]. Dad would have the 115 hp. Chrysler Crown straight six humming right along with the Chris on full plane. Man... for my then young body...snoozing atop that ol' engine was toasty warm in the spring and fall.

So, anyway - Having learned to sleep on that noisy little gasoline slurping beast stood me in good stead for rest of my life. No matter where I am, noise or not, light or dark sleep takes seconds to accomplish.

When asleep on land I am sound a sleep and stay that way till early morning [I always wake early]. When asleep on boat I am also sound asleep... but... usually do automatically get up from once to twice in night just to look around and check things out. Immediately back asleep when laid back down.

I also love to power nap when required during the day. 10 to 20 minutes REM nap refreshes me for hours; supercharges my mind. Can accomplish such a nap sitting up or laying down.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #36
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay N View Post
MurrayM says:

There's only two anchorages with flat bottoms around here; everything else is on the edges of estuary drying flats with steep sloping bottoms to one hundred feet or more.

Obviously, you need a bigger/better anchor!
I hear you!

According to the Bruce Anchor chart, the 22 pound anchor on our 30 foot boat should be good for 47 knots, in an anchorage without large waves/surge.

Still, that's a flat bottom pull...not a pull perpendicular to a 45 degree slope of mud. If we start late fall/winter cruising (when it blows up to 60 knots at least a couple times per winter) we'll go for the bigger anchor for sure
Old 12-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #37
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Yes I sleep better, The 1/2 empty bottle of bourbon has nothing to do with it.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #38

City: Plano
Quite the opposite. I think it might be that I don't have a boat and only bareboat charter, but during these days at sea I find myself waking about 2 a.m. and immediately thinking about what to do the next day, best route to get there, what could go wrong, what I need to remember and so on ad infinitum. I then lie awake thinking about all this stuff and maybe nod off a few times, usually after getting up to use the head for the fifteenth time that night. I can't wait for a respectable time to get up and turn on the coffee maker - this is usually about 5 a.m. At least I see some spectacular sunrises...
EatSleepBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:42 PM   #39
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Better sleep and for longer hours.
my dirt home is in the city. But 20 years ago I lived in the country and had boat like sleeps. Anyone else?
I often wonder if it is just ambient noise of vehicles, trains, planes and just city noise or all the radio waves in the city from cell phones, TV's and the rest
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #40
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
The night before last we were anchored in Biscayne Bay and I slept terribly: the wind and the current conspired to set us at 90* to the waves which slapped just below my head off and on all night long as the boat slowly sailed around.
Last night we were tied up in a sheltered marina in a quiet estuary with no noise or traffic and I slept great. Because we were on shore power we could cool and dehumidify the boat and the location was dead calm so the boat did not move a bit. I slept soundly from 9:00 until 5:30 and woke refreshed and rarin’ to go.
On the other hand I have had some great nights at anchor and some really horrible ones in marinas. It really depends upon circumstances, not just docked vs anchored.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote