Best sleep ever when sleeping on boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostsailor13

Vessel Name
Broadbill
Vessel Make
Willard 36
Or am I just imagining that,but the quality of sleep seems so much better,and the dreams I've been having along with it,does anyone else think the same

Greetings,
Mr. L.

iu

Absolutely. I think it helps that you were relaxed before hand. Plus we never watch tv on board which I think helps

I don't know if it is because I am on "My Boat", or all the fresh air, or the fact that I am generally very tired after a day on the boat or that I have a fantastic mattress on the boat, or whatever...

BUT... I sleep GREAT on the boat!!, the Admiral also.

pete

Yes, we sleep great on the boat. i think of it as being craddled by the lovings hands of the water.

We do sleep well on the boat too, better than ashore.

Absolutely the best sleep, ever!

I sleep like a cat with one ear open, checking things at least a couple times a night.

There's only two anchorages with flat bottoms around here; everything else is on the edges of estuary drying flats with steep sloping bottoms to one hundred feet or more.

If the wind changes and blows away from the slope, your anchor can get plucked out. Let out too much rode and you can swing/drift onto a drying flat. The area was charted long ago...found one spot were so much material had been brought down from the mountains that where there was supposed to be 20 feet of depth, there was 5 feet. Tides can be over 20 feet, which complicates everything.

I did sleep pretty good when we stayed in a marina while on a trip, but that's only happened twice.

Oh hellz yes. Best sleep by far, no question.

Agree with Pete, sun and fresh air all day...I could sleep on a block of granite.

I do enjoy the sound of water lapping gently against the hull though....

Great sleeping on the boat. At anchor while cruising really helps to have the anchor watch set on my phone at the bedside. Any concerns a quick check-- we are in the circle-- then I am out like a light in no time. Wish we were down South cruising this year but we are home in NJ listening to the North Winds making their steady push toward Winter.

...At anchor while cruising really helps to have the anchor watch set on my phone at the bedside...

I used to get up and have a look, but now just roll over, turn on the iPad, see if it's all good, then fall back asleep :thumb:

When I cruise, the days are longer, I burn more energy, sleep well and more soundly at night, and generally loose some weight.

Ted

I also get my best sleep on the boat. I think the slight rocking and subtle movement during the night is part of it.

Best sleep ever in a boat during a storm (no lighting).

I know that the following two points can drive a person "NUTS", but in very small doses they really lull me to sleep. An occasional cry of a gull, or loon or other water birds and the occasional minor "squeak" of a line stretching. In MODERATION of course.

pete

I know that the following two points can drive a person "NUTS", but in very small doses they really lull me to sleep. An occasional cry of a gull, or loon or other water birds and the occasional minor "squeak" of a line stretching. In MODERATION of course.

pete

Does that include the occasional thwap or a halyard on an aluminum mast? :banghead:

Ted

a halyard on an aluminum mast?

I don't know why but this sound doesn't bother me, its even more frantic in a storm but just becomes part of the background roar.

Greetings,
Mr. OC. "...the occasional thwap..." Occasional or constant, the noise gnaws at my nerves. Tie the damn things down! Such a simple solution.

Gee, this could segue into another thread with "Such a simple solution".

Best sleeps are at anchor (I have a Rocna...).

Usually great sleeps at the dock as well, unless we have a lot of fog overnight. Those fog horns can be very disruptive to your sleep.

When everything is calm and peaceful, sleeping anchored in a wild bay is wonderful... However we had one night at anchor with wind of 35+ knots changing from one direction to another, I must tell I woke up many times checking out. Docked it is usually very calm except when a bunch of idiots decide to have a party whole night 2 docks away...

L

Docked it is usually very calm except when a bunch of idiots decide to have a party whole night 2 docks away...

or anchored right next to you, Slapping halyards drive me crazy. Then there's bow slap. Noisy generators, forget to chock the head door,

Solution? Soft foam ear plugs. Oblivious to it all. I might wake up on the rocks but I'll get a great nights sleep.

WE have an overhead compass that works well to know if weather / breeze has changed direction.

Along with an 8inch bed side port for a view of the anchorage

I'm a morning person and usually up around 6 AM at home. On the boat I tend to sleep later, maybe because there aren't a lot of things to do once you get out of bed except make some coffee.

pete

I do sleep well at my marina but not on the hook...

At my last marina there was the 4 am waterman picking up crab pots with the dry stack straight exhaust and what must be 100 pots within 2 miles....

FULL THROTTLE idle
FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle FULL THROTTLE idle for about a damn hour.....at 4 am

All of the above, plus the experience is arguably the closest to that other period of time in our lives when we were gently rocked to sleep - whilst we were comfortably and securely ensconced in our mother's womb. :)

Yep, we definitely sleep better on the boat. My husband doesn't watch TV in bed on the boat, it's darker than our room at home, the mattress is REALLy comfortable, and who knows what other factors go into it, but we sleep great on the boat.

I sleep extremely well on the boat if anchored out. Docks not so much. However, there was that one anchorage in the Charlottes when I was thrown out of the bunk that interrupted my sleep that night!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom