best product for maintaining cabinet finish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
It seems we should be placing something on the cabinets to keep them looking good. Are there any products you folks like to use.

My wife is asking me a similar question. We have tried washing the teak walls and cabinets with Murphy's Oil Soap but they still look "splotchy" (her word). The finish on our interior teak is a satin (low or no gloss) finish. we aren't looking for a hi-gloss finish but more of a consistent surface.

On our previous boat had teak trim in many interior places. It was " unfinished" and looked rather drab after many years. I have used Waterlox oil finish on furniture projects and liked it. I wiped on a coat of the oil finished that I thinned down with solvent.
If a light coat and you don't apply so there are wet areas it has little shine but rather soaks in and seals.
I would tru a small area to see if it does what you are after.

I have been putting on my transom and teak swim deck and it goes on easy and looks good Transparent Waterproofing Stain, Acorn Brown, I bought from Lowes.
Acorn Brown color is what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/THOMPSONS-WATERSEAL-TH-041841-16-Transparent-Waterproofing/dp/B00KIZY670

The transparent smooths out the evenness of the color. Would work inside even better than outside. Gives it a sheen like finish, very smooth feeling and hard surface wearing. When you first apply, it is milky brown, and as it dries, the color comes out. Water proof and I get 2 years outdoors with it. Still looks good on the mahogany transom, but the teak needs a recoating.

Last edited:
It seems we should be placing something on the cabinets to keep them looking good. Are there any products you folks like to use.

We use Howard Feed and Wax on our interior teak, it was recommended on the forun years ago and it works great, very happy customer!.......:thumb:

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Nordic Tugs recommends using a regular (2 times per year) application of Lemon Oil (Formby's - but that brand is hard to find) as a maintenance method. To do more of a "refinish" they recommend using SeaFin Teak oil, and if I remember correctly, it is mixed with the Lemon Oil 50/50. Anyway, there are instructions on the full technique on the website sentoa.org.
SENTOA.org

Magna:
Yours is a notoriously responsive builder. You should call them and find out what the original finish is, and what they recommend for maintaining it.

Without that inside information you will be left to experiment to find what works best.

Ours was 14 yrs old on purchase. The teak had never been refinished, so still had its original oil finish. That was well weathered, bleached by the sun in places, marked with water stains where the window had leaked, so all of it needed work.

Over the years, some products failed to deliver, others work very well.

Tried and rejected: water based Varathane, stained when wet, hard to remove. Oil finishes, always have that "needs another application" look.

Tried successfully: oil based varnish, several different brands, but the phrase "you get what you pay for" certainly applies. Varnishes intended for outdoor use are also better inside, though they sometimes go on darker than those intended for interior use, to I use them where weathering is likely and the interior kind where there will not be a likelihood of weathering.

So what's wrong with just applying teak oil once a year?

Magna:
Yours is a notoriously responsive builder. You should call them and find out what the original finish is, and what they recommend for maintaining it.
/QUOTE]

You beat me to it Keith.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom