Best Place to Charter a Florida Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeReno

Vessel Name
Catmandu
Vessel Make
Seasport Pacific 3200
We're interested in chartering a trawler for a month or 2 in Florida and Bahamas. Where are the best find information on chartering trawlers in the Southeast?

I am not recommending them or not but I have seen Southwest Florida Trawler Charters, or something close to that, I don’t have any experience with them.

"Month or two" is a long time in the charter biz, especially headed to Bahamas. Please update your post if you find anything suitable. There are occasional posts looking for long term charges. Usually charter fees chase them away.

Good luck

Peter

For that long period I don't think that SWFYC is appropriate. For a week or two, yes, but not for a month or so. You are probably looking at a big trawler style yacht, 45' or bigger for what you are thinking about doing. There are brokers who manage those charters. Google to find them.

David

There is also Chitwood Charters in Sarasota but I don't think you can go out of the country.

Thanks for the replies... looking at Chitwood. We're looking 39-45 range (just the 2 of us). Expect to do a lot of diving so the usual GB or Mainship with the swim platform will work fine.

Agree on the cost / length... realize most are geared for 1-2 weeks max... hoping this board might give a few other options that we haven't thought of.

Charter in Florida to do the Keys, that's where the best diving is. Then fly to the Bahamas and charter there for the rest of your vacation. No need to make the crossing and complicate a vacation. There are many good Charter operators in several areas of the Bahamas. Abaco's are great for convenience and variety, Exuma's are pretty awesome, Berry's are very private

:socool:

Chitwood charters

Hi

We have rented from Chitwood twice before we purchased our Defever 44.
We rented the 42 Grand Banks motor yacht and a 50’ Selene trawler.

We rented just the vessel, no captain. You have to put up the insurance deductible as a deposit. They subtract out your fuel bill and promptly return the Balance after the rental. You get a quick checkout before you set out. You can utilize the slip at Sarasota if you desire.

We enjoyed both rentals. Finding a trawler to rent is hard, especially without a captain The company you run across on the web for trawler rental in the Virgin Islands is not in existence. There are power cats available, but that is different experience.

We did two rentals to make sure my wife really liked it, she did. We purchased Bliss a year and a half ago and in the process of making her ours.

Safe voyages.

Before chartering in Fl read my post on Need Attorney Cape Coral Area.

We’d settle for a cat - sail or power we had a power cat but sold it about a year ago and are currently boatless. Really looking for a trawler experience for a extended period to see if it’s a lifestyle we can live.
I’m shocked that there are not any longer term options,,, we’ve AirBnB’d all over the planet, seems like a great option. For the guy that says goto the keys... we have a house there and have also spent a bit of time in the Bahamas... sorry fella, no comparison between the two.

"Month or two" is a long time in the charter biz, especially headed to Bahamas. Please update your post if you find anything suitable. There are occasional posts looking for long term charges. Usually charter fees chase them away.

Good luck

Peter

Good work Pete! You offered him zip.

Good work Pete! You offered him zip.

Friz.....slightly ironic that in deriding a post for being unhelpful, you manage to redefine 'empty calories' in your own post. Touche!

To the OP - every couple months, TF does indeed see a shout-out for a long term rental. If you find a suitable arrangement, would be helpful to pass along the information.

Peter

Last edited:
JoeReno said:
Best Place to Charter a Florida Trawler?
We're interested in chartering a trawler for a month or 2 in Florida and Bahamas.

JoeReno said:
For the guy that says goto the keys... we have a house there and have also spent a bit of time in the Bahamas... sorry fella, no comparison between the two.

No need to be sorry, I wasn't comparing, I was answering your question

:socool:

Given the cost of charters, seems like just buying a boat and then reselling might end up being cheaper.

Given the cost of charters, seems like just buying a boat and then reselling might end up being cheaper.

Might be right, we are in the same mindset. We have boating experience but not big boating like many of the folks here. I admire and am envious on many on here who have lived what on the outside appears to be an idealistic lifestyle. I have done all the boat shows in the past year, just finished Palm Beach. Boats and real estate are in high demand as we all know. I joined the St Pete Power Squadron last night sitting in on the begining course, and plan to take all courses including captains in order to learn as much as possible. Yesterday I contacted NW Explorations and plan to join their bare boat flotilla through Alaska in July, but that is only ten days or so. It will however provide some good experience. I met with Capt Chitwood of SW Charters in Sarasota a month or so ago, and he is selling everything including his house. He sold the Salene, but at last check had two older Grand Banks for sale. He said he would sell those with the charter business or separate. Nice guy, tons ofcexperience and stories. He might cut you a deal for a multi month charter, he seemed reasonable enough.

So back to the point, we nearly purchased the 67 Vicem Motoryacht at Palm Beach. It was listed originally over 4mm, but they will take far less. It appears to be a bargain in a market with no bargains and it was gorgeous; the Turkish craftsman are masters with woodwork but you have to be comfortable with cold molded. My wife wants a to go fast so looking at the 54 Sabre, but I like the 68 CL Serenity that has been on the market and is ready to sell. Bottom line is there appears to be no option other than buy the boat you want, sale if you don't like it. Or spend 50 to over 100k finding out if this lifestyle is suited to you provided you can find a longer term Charter. It is a commitment, but the sands of time are speeding towards the end. I think it is now or never for us. I guess I had better fill out that contract the broker sent. I have dreamed of going from Fl to Bar Harbor, and the Bahamas on a decent size motor yacht or trawler. Time is of the essence. Ramble on...

Attachments

• 20201029_142248.jpg
    20201029_142248.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201029_142159.jpg
    20201029_142159.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Chitwood and Southwest are leading charter providers for trawlers. However, they are not going to allow you to go to the Bahamas. If you want to charter in the Bahamas, Moorings and others who are located there are your best choices. Moorings charters both power and sail.

Southwest Florida Trawler Charters

Stay away. Our experience with this charter company was terrible. The only reason I waited until now to post this review is because they kept our security deposit for 30-days after the charter. We'd already lost a considerable amount of money on the charter. I didn't want to risk losing the security deposit. What was terrible? The boat was dirty and in disrepair. We knew it was old going in to the charter, but broken and dirty weren't expected.
We were treated harshly by the gentleman who tested our seamanship. Since we failed his test, we had to hire a captain of their choice if we wanted to go out on the boat. This cost us extra of course.
Over the years we have chartered boats in the Caribbean and Europe. We never encountered such disrepair and disrespect in a charter company. I am posting this review to make sure others don't fall into the trap we did.

Stay away. Our experience with this charter company was terrible. The only reason I waited until now to post this review is because they kept our security deposit for 30-days after the charter. We'd already lost a considerable amount of money on the charter. I didn't want to risk losing the security deposit. What was terrible? The boat was dirty and in disrepair. We knew it was old going in to the charter, but broken and dirty weren't expected.
We were treated harshly by the gentleman who tested our seamanship. Since we failed his test, we had to hire a captain of their choice if we wanted to go out on the boat. This cost us extra of course.
Over the years we have chartered boats in the Caribbean and Europe. We never encountered such disrepair and disrespect in a charter company. I am posting this review to make sure others don't fall into the trap we did.

You should have walked away on that inspection.

While they are definitely not Moorings, they have many happy customers. Yes, old boats, no secret there. However, you've just joined this forum so clearly searching for ways and places to attack them in your only post to date when your real complaint is they found you not to be competent to operate the boat. I don't know if you were or not but so far the vote is one for and one against, you vs. their captain. I just have a problem with use of this forum as a place to attack a vendor by one who has not been a member here and has no other credibility.

While they are definitely not Moorings, they have many happy customers. Yes, old boats, no secret there. However, you've just joined this forum so clearly searching for ways and places to attack them in your only post to date when your real complaint is they found you not to be competent to operate the boat. I don't know if you were or not but so far the vote is one for and one against, you vs. their captain. I just have a problem with use of this forum as a place to attack a vendor by one who has not been a member here and has no other credibility.

Can you ever just stay out of something? Is it impossible for you to keep your keyboard idle for even one thread?

He offered his personal experience to the OP that is seeking exactly that. He, nor anyone else on this site needs your approval to post anything.

Can you ever just stay out of something? Is it impossible for you to keep your keyboard idle for even one thread?

He offered his personal experience to the OP that is seeking exactly that. He, nor anyone else on this site needs your approval to post anything.

He doesn't need my approval, but I do think it's appropriate to point out when someone seeks this site and joins for the sole reason of criticizing a vendor. He's not by any means the first to do so. His opinion remains what it is, but the nature of his post and his joining just to make that post is something for readers and members to note. I've heard other recent criticism of Southwest too, but they have a lot of happy owners and customers. The fact, in this case, was they did not approve him as an operator. We don't know why. But that's where his discord with them originated. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had that happen as I've been told it's a rare occurrence, that most not ready to operate a boat, don't try.

As to keyboard idle for one thread, I actually post in very limited number of threads, but I posted in this thread nearly a year before he did.

Which company are you referring to? I used SW once and will never go back. Chitwood is who I was going to try after I sold 2 trawlers over the past 3 years.

........ I just have a problem with use of this forum as a place to attack a vendor by one who has not been a member here and has no other credibility.

So he is not one of the cool kids yet? Sir, he has every right to state his opinion in a civil manner whether it is his first post or his 21,078th post.

Last edited:
He doesn't need my approval, but I do think it's appropriate to point out when someone seeks this site and joins for the sole reason of criticizing a vendor. He's not by any means the first to do so. His opinion remains what it is, but the nature of his post and his joining just to make that post is something for readers and members to note. I've heard other recent criticism of Southwest too, but they have a lot of happy owners and customers. The fact, in this case, was they did not approve him as an operator. We don't know why. But that's where his discord with them originated. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has had that happen as I've been told it's a rare occurrence, that most not ready to operate a boat, don't try.

As to keyboard idle for one thread, I actually post in very limited number of threads, but I posted in this thread nearly a year before he did.
So, it's okay for you to discount someone's first hand experience dealing with a vendor in question? How many trawlers have you rented from them? None I'm sure. Keep googling so you can have the image of experience, I'll listen to the folks that have actually done it.

Was our experience also only it was several months of never knowing if we would ever see our 8k deposit again. Posters here who have no experience with them yet promote them simply because they saw an ad are less than helpful or respondible. We also have had one many charters elsewhere and always had a positive experience elsewhere. They would not even answer our calls to explain why they held our deposit after first saying their "diver" found "something".

So your saying a business that only rips off some of its customers some of the time is one you would recommend? Glad I never have to do business with you.
Hoping other members of the forum have more concern for helping each other.

Which company are you referring to? I used SW once and will never go back. Chitwood is who I was going to try after I sold 2 trawlers over the past 3 years.

What was your bad experience with SW?

So your saying a business that only rips off some of its customers some of the time is one you would recommend? Glad I never have to do business with you.
Hoping other members of the forum have more concern for helping each other.

No, I'm saying I'd love to hear more of your experience with them. My direct information is a bit dated and so if persons are experiencing different today, I'd love to hear it. I do discount someone who just seeks this forum out to blast them, but don't dismiss their post entirely, just value it more if others have had similar experiences. If you feel they ripped you off, please elaborate. I've heard complaints about damage deposits being held and subsequent damage claims made, but those are third hand.

I do have two captain friends who ran boats at one time for Chitwood. Anyone have updates as to their status? I've heard reports, but unconfirmed, that they are no longer operating, but then I heard the same rumors on SW.

I wish we had charters throughout the country like Moorings. For those looking, Moorings does now have a Key West Charter. They offer a monohull sailboat, a Lagoon Cat, and a Fountaine Pajot Cat Powerboat. Prices, of course, well above SW and Chitwood.

If SW is engaging in bad business practices I'll be as negative against them as anyone. Unfortunately the original post reminded me too much of the man who came here as part of his one man crusade against Nordhavn. His underlying problem was they refused to falsify tax documents on his behalf. Oh and he did sue them, and lost.

BandB, no justification needed. Keep posting when you want, where you want and just as much as you want, whether some people like it or not. There is an old French proverb that says "Les chiens aboient mais la caravane passe" ("The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on"…)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom