Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #21

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
This rudder lets me turn like twins in a single screw boat. Paravanes are a close second.
Attached Thumbnails
image-659728613.jpg   image-679982488.jpg  
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
Do you have details on this? I think I have a problem with my vent.

I followed Peggy the HeadMistress's instructions. She contributes to this forum on occasion. It was a while ago but the main features were to replace the worthless 1/2" diameter vent hose with a 1.5" diameter hose. And use the Raritan Kills Odor (KO) bacteria. The idea is to have plenty of fresh air (oxygen) available for the aerobic bacteria to live in the tank. If there is insufficient air the aerobic bacteria dies and is replaced with anaerobic bacteria, which is the type that causes the rotten egg stench.

Ideally, you would have 2 vent hoses on opposites to help ensure air circulation.

For my money, she got it right. Forget the carbon filters and all that nonsense. Air flow and aerobic bacteria seems to be the ticket. And, it's bone simple.

Before I did this the stench was enough to gag a maggot. Since then it's been only on very rare occasions that I get a whiff of it all.

Hopefully Peggy is reading and will chime in with a better report.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #23

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Nothing beats a warm dry boat. I installed this in 2011 and my wife and I both agree this is the single best project so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Dickinson Heater1.jpg  
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The Webasto boiler hot water heating. Runs 24/7 for 9 month. keeps the boat dry and warm
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #25

City: charleston sc
Vessel Name: Don-Ton
Vessel Model: 1985 44 gulfstar walkaround
I or she thinks the gastop and then the electric oven up grade was the best thing so yes it a gas top and a separate electric oven
DON-TON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
salon Remodel

I replaced the carpeting and sofa with a Teak & Holly sole and a new settee.
I did all of the work myself.
Attached Thumbnails
6DSC09964.jpg   Before Forward.jpg   Salon New Floor.jpg   Salon Now.JPG  
Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Trenton
Water under her keel.
She was on the hard for 4 years while we put our daughter through college.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
Guru

Waste system redesign. A vented loop in the discharge lines for the electric heads keeps a small pool of clean fresh water in the bowl...odor from the lines/tank is history. Conversion to fresh water flush and all new discharge lines (90% hard PVC and all down hill to the holding tanks) further transformed the old stinker. Eliminating the intake pumps vastly increased pumping action and decreased noise. The old Raritan Crowns are good for another 25 years.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #29
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I too fitted hinges to the engineroom access hatches. Originally the three large/heavy hatches in the saloon floor just lifted out - hard to find somewhere to put them where they can't slide around. Now each has a pair of hinges and a latch to hold it securely in the "up" position.

My other favourite mod is an oil-less 1.5hp air compressor. With my scuba regulator, and 40ft of Brownies air hose, I can dive the area around my boat (and scrape barnacles) all day without the inconvenience of refilling scuba tanks afterwards.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
I too fitted hinges to the engineroom access hatches. Originally the three large/heavy hatches in the saloon floor just lifted out - hard to find somewhere to put them where they can't slide around. Now each has a pair of hinges and a latch to hold it securely in the "up" position.

My other favourite mod is an oil-less 1.5hp air compressor. With my scuba regulator, and 40ft of Brownies air hose, I can dive the area around my boat (and scrape barnacles) all day without the inconvenience of refilling scuba tanks afterwards.
Do you have source for the latches?
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Dave

I used piano hinges on the hatches for a Krogen 42. Put a ladder under both the forward hatch and the hatch in the salon. Designed a table so that the salon hatch could be raised between the two posts for the table.

Away from the boat or I would attach a photo.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #32

City: Vienna
Vessel Name: DODO
Vessel Model: Selene 40
In the last two years we have done many upgrades and modifications, such as electronics (MFDs, AIS, radar), SAT-TV, sound system, internet router, new mattresses and so on. But these are the modifications, which we love most they are worth every Cent:

Kabola water heating - radiators from the engine room up to the salon, with towel radiators in the bathroom, shower and head keeps us toasty. It is great comfort and pure joy! The Kabola runs 24/7 all year round, even if we are not on the boat.

Mast laying system - with two 12 V DC cylinders we can lower and raise the mast. Great on inland waterways (bridge clearance). No back pain!

No gas galley - we switched to home appliances, induction cooktop, oven and refrigerator/freezer. My wife loves this arrangement and I must not handle the gas bottles.

Karl

dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've done many upgrades and refitting but the one thing I did that was a "modification" increased boat control in large stern seas but much more significantly in harbor maneuvers.

When I converted to hydraulic steering I mounted the slave cylinder or ram so as to align the control rod to the next hole in closer to the rudder post. Was 6 turns L to L and now is 3. The added speed was/is a blessing in following seas but the large reduction in turn radius was wonderful. The rudder now swings a total of 90 degrees (45 each way) and I have found no downside whatsoever. Best modification.

I know there is a rule of thumb that rudder deflection over 35 degrees offers no increase in response. Perhaps on a high speed boat but the response to the additional 10 degrees of rudder swing is phenomenal on our 30' Willard.

As you can see in the picture Willy has a sizable rudder for a 30' boat but other than that just a run-of-the-mill standard flat plate bronze rudder.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71269 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #34
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Do you have source for the latches?
I looked at the latches used to hold up a bar-flap, but I wasn't happy with the sharp projections, and they would only have worked for two out of the three hatches. In the end I made latches like the one in the first pic. Not elegant, but safe and functional.

I wanted hinges that I could install with the hatches in place - better chance of getting a good fit. The ones in the third pic are called "butler-tray" hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
Hatch-1.jpg   Hatch-2.jpg   Hatch-3.jpg  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #35
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Moving the dinghy's stowage position from the upper deck to the stern platform. Instead of 20 (or more) minutes to deploy the dinghy, it now takes two minutes. Much more convenient, but especially much safer.

Since we were also switching out dinghies we went for a short time with both. Looked either strange or the ultimate in redundancy.

We were still sorting out the stern davit so please excuse the lack of perfect symmetry re the dinghy siting...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8531.jpg  
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #36
FF
Guru

The Robertson AP with a long remote cord.

Second a Dania Flea market new fancy comfortable helm chair for $200.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
As we swim often... Out of a couple ladders, several steps (two different types), two extension/joining sleeves and bunch of SS bolts I constructed 6' swim ladder w/ 1" knotted line for ease of boarding and to well fasten ladder in up position when leaving boat. If alone on board cruising or relaxing I release knotted line to hang down and have simple tension clip hold ladder upright... so if needed it can be firmly tugged upon with one hand from water and down she comes for emergency boarding! Cause ya just never know!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ladder 100_0421.JPG  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote