Best Misused Boat Tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This reminds me of my phone trick. In my pilothouse I have a clock radio. When the DC is not on the clock resets to noon. I am certain if I had a remote and time to learn the system I could set the clock properly at anytime.

Instead I have two alarms I turn on. One is for 11:59 and the other is for noon. Yes, I have to have both alarms because distraction is my enemy. With both I can fix the time easily.

On the transom I installed a license plate light. It illuminates the swim platform.

Everyplace I sit or dig in a locker has a pair of eyeglasses and a small flashlight. There is not much worse than sitting down and realizing you've forgotten something or can't see.

This is hardly "misuse", more "alternative use" - however, I did just use my impeller puller to remove an obstinate pantograph wiper. It took me a while of trying to pry it off by other means before I realized I had just the tool for job!

Richard

Misuse: hardly need to look beyond our bodies.

Seen these:
fingers used as line voltage detectors.
molars used as beer bottle openers.
upper arm used as a high speed trailer winch brake.

stop me or this may get worse!

shoot, I forgot one:
my friend used his calf as a spear gun shaft stopping/holding device; (in Cal Sal of all places...)

Last edited:
Huge tool. Your beloved trawler designed for efficient cruising is also a great fishing machine. Try trolling lead cored line. At a maintainable 3 knots, when you see the fishing fleet out for game fish ( not bottom fish) near you, slow down and drop a line and spoon. Deadly.

Huge tool. Your beloved trawler designed for efficient cruising is also a great fishing machine. Try trolling lead cored line. At a maintainable 3 knots, when you see the fishing fleet out for game fish ( not bottom fish) near you, slow down and drop a line and spoon. Deadly.

Whoa...more detail on this tool please!

Greetings,
Mr. S. While Mr. cy has a very valid point regarding the suitability of our boats for fishing/trolling the subject of fishing deserves either addition to an existing thread or the start of a new thread IMO so as not to drift too far from the misuse of tools subject. While Mr. cy's techniques most probably DO work for his cruising area (NE), they are quite different from techniques that I, for example, would use off the coast of FL (SE) or Mr. FW's techniques that he employs for the pursuit of sturgeon or halibut in HIS area (SW).

Last edited:
Its not a "miss use" but the electricians screwdriver with 2 sets of different screw bits and 2 sizes of nut drivers is my tool of choice in the tool bag.

Whilst gently hammering the top of our Groco raw water strainer with an old screwdriver (everything on our boat was over tightened) I remembered the large, curved jaw vice grips originally purchased for servicing the stuffing box. Maybe the hammering helped, but the top spun off real slick like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom