Best exterior in-line water filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We're heading back up to the Broughtons in a few weeks and we want to be able to pre-filter water. Last time there were a couple places had "rust colored" water and it was recommended to filter it prior to filling our tank.

Which in-line filters do you use?

If taste is also an issue, use a 3 filter set with a 1 micron sediment, CTO, and GAC. Housings and a set of filters about $60-80 on Ebay for 10x2.5 filters including shipping.
Sometimes if you let the dock water run for a couple minutes, the rust (from water sitting in old galvanized lines) will flush out.

We use a 10" KX Matrikx +CTO/2 Carbon Block 32-250-125-975. Watch your flow rate so you don't get blow by. I believe they're rated for less than 2 gpm.

We use two filters in line
- Pentek DGD-2501 dual-gradient (25/1 micron)
- Pentek FloPlus-10 carbon block (.5 micron)

Filter housings from Pentek, GE, etc.

Happens we order all that stuff from Filtersfast.com, but mostly because we get all our household filters from them, too -- sediment, drinking water, vacuums, etc. -- so it's just easier... and their prices seem OK anyway.

I have quick-snap fittings on primary hose and first filter housing, interconnector, second filter housing and secondary hose... so everything snaps together in about 30 seconds.

Just saw an ad for a new drinking water filter from Forespar, but they didn't bother to answer my e-mail questions... so I don't know yet whether I'll fool with that or not.

-Chris

Last edited:
We use a large sediment carbon filter.
Water tastes good but the tannin color remains.

I use these a lot.

I put together a pair. One with a sediment filter in it and one with a charcoal filter in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom