Best DC Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
As they did when we were in the Exumas this year my brother and SIL are going to fly to Washington DC to do some of the Chesapeake with us.
We want to tie-up downtown for 5 days or so to pick them up and use Sonas as a base for their sight-seeing.

Does anyone have a marina withing walking distance of the Mall that they would recommend?

I second Capital Yacht Club. A great spot and marina. It's also a nice trip up the Potomac from the bay.

Third vote for cyc.

Mall 3 block walk

DC Marina

The construction was ongoing as of Labor Day. If you can't get a slip @ CYC try Gangplank Marina next door. Mainly liveaboards but funky & very friendly. Very close to the Metro & supermarket too.

This is for next July so the work should all be done.

I want to book now as they have their flights all set and, based on their web site, the CYC seem to only have a few transient slips.

Last edited:
.......... the CYC seem to only have a few transient slips.

This is true, but I'm assuming you only need one.

In addition to the two mentioned, there's the Washington Marina but it's directly under a busy bridge.

Call the people and talk to them.

Reserving well ahead, as soon as they'll take a reservation strongly advised. That whole area on the Washington Channel is being beautifully, and densely developed and will be a very popular destination in and of itself.

This is true, but I'm assuming you only need one.

In addition to the two mentioned, there's the Washington Marina but it's directly under a busy bridge.

Call the people and talk to them.

Yep, but a 53' one.

I was considering the constant traffic noise, not the bridge clearance. We walked under it several times. I wouldn't want to try to sleep under it, even in a boat.

I am planning for the CYC Wes.

My vote is for the Capital Yacht Club. Very friendly place. Great bar that the local members frequent. Very convenient to metro, shopping and the Washington Mall. We were there for the month of June, and rode bikes all over the city.:thumb:

Bikes, good point. We have two with covers for putting them on the boat deck.

The redone District Wharf reopens 10/12/17.

https://www.wharfdc.com/

The GangPlank Marina, CYC, District Wharf, and Washington Marina are all essentially in the same place and are closest to the mall. There is a Metro station nearby.

Across the river (nearer the Pentagon) is also Columbia marina.

Further south are the Alexandria waterfront and National Harbor.

I think I just saw or heard in an ad that there's a new place called something like The Yard (or The Yards, maybe)... somewhere near where the baseball stadium is (wherever that is).

-Chris

I think I just saw or heard in an ad that there's a new place called something like The Yard (or The Yards, maybe)... somewhere near where the baseball stadium is (wherever that is).

-Chris

Look it up on Active Captain. It's near the ballpark but nothing else. And I don't think you would want to be walking around the neighborhood. It's also pretty expensive for what you get.

Said something about major redevelopment in that area... though I'd guess that may be an evolution too long for OP's purposes...

-Chris

It looks like the Gangplank is being renamed The Wharf.

Back
Top Bottom