Best cell provider for Catalina Island?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R lucky

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Fortunate Sun
Vessel Make
42' Grand Banks M/Y
Hi All,

I'm considering installing a Wave WiFi Tidal Wave to improve my internet access both in my marina and at Catalina Island.

Since this will require a dedicated line/sim card, my question is to those of you in So. Cal. who frequently visit the island -- what carrier do you use and how's your service?

Thanks!

Lucky

Hi All,

I'm considering installing a Wave WiFi Tidal Wave to improve my internet access both in my marina and at Catalina Island.

Since this will require a dedicated line/sim card, my question is to those of you in So. Cal. who frequently visit the island -- what carrier do you use and how's your service?

Thanks!

Lucky

My T-Mo phone worked fine there last time I went about 2 years ago, and they have a cheap data rate.

Have not been there in a while but Verizon worked well then.

Verizon works fine unless its a busy weekend out there. if theres a lot of boats/visitors, the speed gets slow. that's my experience.

Verizon has great service at Avalon, Two Harbors, and all along the front of the island. We even have service most of the way back and forth (30 miles or so), so the signal is strong. There may be other providers that also have good signal that prove to be less expensive than Verizon.

Verizon has great service at Avalon, Two Harbors, and all along the front of the island. We even have service most of the way back and forth (30 miles or so), so the signal is strong. There may be other providers that also have good signal that prove to be less expensive than Verizon.

When I lived in Avalon in 1990-1992 I had a Mitsubishi bag phone that worked off a tower on Signal Hill in Long Beach; and it worked well...:lol:

Hi Guys, thanks very much for the input. Caltexflanc, thanks for the steer to Peplink -- awesome stuff and I'm still reading about it. Certainly a bulletproof solution.

On Cheers we get internet service in our Oceanside slip using the hotspot feature on my iPhone7. We haven’t tried it with laptops, but it has enough “oomph” to support YouTube video on two iPads concurrently. I haven’t tried the hotspot at the Island, but the cell reception has been good. Usability might depend on whatever cell service is available. Oh: the hotspot is a standard, no-cost feature of the iPhone. I don’t know if it’s available on Android devices.

As always, YMMV. :D

Opu, thanks, that's how we do it in our marina now -- and yes, it works on laptops just fine, as long as there's adequate bandwith -- meaning not everyone in the State can be online at the same time. After a lengthy refit, we're back frequenting Catalina, and our first attempt to get online this way at the island was a total FAIL. Hence my post and current quest for a stronger connection and greater bandwidth. The tools are out there, but it's definitely pay to play. I'm still in the research stage but stay tuned...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom