Best books to self educate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Btequine

Vessel Name
Shearwater
Vessel Make
Trawler
Hi, I’m new to boating, just bought my first 40’er this year. What are the best printed materials for learning? I need everything from boat schematics, part names, to basic weather reading. I know there’s gotta be some good informative books out there. I figured I’d self educate while this quarantine is on then I can move my boat to Valdez from Whittier,AK.

Look for books by Nigel Calder (for the boat) and Steve Dashew (for the weather). Chapmans is great for understanding operation and navigation.

Figured I'd make it easier for ya...

Dashew books are free: https://setsail.com/free-books/

Calder's best book is "Boatowner's Electrical and Mechanical Manual" Every cabin boat owner should own this book, IMO.

Chapmans Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling. Every boat owner should own this book, IMO.

Last edited:
The USA TODAY WEATHER BOOK is a good starting place. IMO it is easy for the beginner to understand, contains a lot of good graphics.
The US Sail & Power Squadron... aka Americas Boating Club Wx course is also worthwhile and uses many of the USA Today book graphics.

Calder's books (there are several) are an absolute requirement IMO. They are written simply to be understood by anyone. There are several books covering engines, mechanical and electrical etc.

We also keep Chapmans Seamanship and Small Boat handling on board as it has useful diagrams etc for guests learning to sail our dinghy, cloud analysis and weather forecasting and much more.

~Alan

Yes the aforementioned Chapman's, along with Calder's " Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" are must haves and will occupy a lot of reading time. Once you start boating, you'll come back to them frequently.

I'll recommend a couple to better help you understand what is going on around you out there in nature. Tristan Gooley's "The Natural Navigator" and "How to Read Water".

If you have radar on board, Furuno's Radar Handbook is free and good.

https://www.furunousa.com/en/get_support/learning_center/reference_materials/radar_handbook

Also round up and read the operating manuals for all the system components you have on board.

Duh..

"Get Rid Of Boat Odors" new addition, Peggy Hall (The Headmistress)

Chapman, Piloting and Seamanship

Read this forum every day

Join an owners group for your make and model

Welcome Aboard,

pete

Mischief - Thanks for the link to free books. Saved a lot!

"Boat Docking: Close Quarters Maneuvering for Small Craft" by Charles Low

This Old Boat by Don Casey. For DIY projects.
Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical by Calder. Covers just about everything on a boat.

Chapmans without a doubt. My first copy still had red and black buoys.

Look for books by Nigel Calder (for the boat) and Steve Dashew (for the weather). Chapmans is great for understanding operation and navigation.

Nailed it. Perfect combination of books. :thumb:

Outside of the USA Today Weather Book, I have (and have read) all of the ones mentioned so far.

You are getting good advice...

Chapmans... ugh, the 25 pound coffee table book nobody actually reads.

Don't get me wrong, it's full of a ton of useful information. But I suspect most of the folks that have bought it... have never read it fully. I'll confess, I have not.

Don't get me wrong, it's full of a ton of useful information. But I suspect most of the folks that have bought it... have never read it fully. I'll confess, I have not.

I'm the nerdy kid who read my Dad's when I was 12.

But yeah. Mine isn't even on the boat.

It may be apostasy to whisper the name on this forum, but I cut my boating teeth on Donald Street's The Ocean Sailing Yacht, Volumes 1 and 2. Yes, I know he spent most of his long life running an engineless wooden yawl around the Caribbean, but man, you can't read a chapter without picking up a bit of "streetwise" advice about keeping your vessel afloat and safe, preventing trouble, or getting out of trouble. Street belongs on any mariner's bookshelf.

Lots of valuable works mentioned above, like Chapman's and Dashew. I'm surprised that no one has so far named Robert Beebe's Voyaging Under Power.

Both to educate yourself as well as to resolve arguments, find a copy of Farwell's Rules of the Nautical Road, Eighth Edition, by Craig Allen (Naval Institute Press, 2005). Farwell's doesn't just spell-out the rules, it explains their genesis and how centuries of accidents and admiralty law have shaped them. Every rule has a history!

Last edited:

I'm the nerdy kid who read my Dad's when I was 12.

But yeah. Mine isn't even on the boat.

I've read almost all of it, different sections at different times.

The one on the boat is softcopy, Barnes & Noble/Nook I think. We don't keep many hardcopy books on the boat these days...

-Chris

One nice thing about books is, gives us something to read while we are waiting for help.

Based upon this list, we all agree on Chapman's book
For the rest of the list, I can see I will need a much bigger book shelf.

Hit the used book stores, for most of boating information and educational material, information that is ten years old is good to go. You don't need the most recent Chapman's. I bought two ($5 each) and I keep one at home to read and reference and one on the boat.

I've bought used books on piloting, on GPS use, a book of lat's and long's (way points) for most locations in coastal BC. So if I want to go to Jorgensen Harbour I just need to plug in (entrance) 52 38.50' N, 128 35.05'W into my chart plotter and the course will be laid out for me. The book is only filled with waypoints, nothing else, cost me $1 at the used book store.

I have also bought some "dated" marine instructional books but I find these fun to zip through more for historical contextuality. So in one of the books I got to read the CQR's are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Don't transfer your personal flaws to others. Let them decide.

When I took the professional level course at Chapman's school, by the time I was finished, the entire book was annotated ...
I had young lady come to clean the boat. She was starting her career in crewing, we talked a bit and then I gave her my copy of Chapman's..... She was over joyed to have the Chapman's book and even more impressed that I had annotated it.
Alas, I look back, I sort of wish I had given her a new book but, the smile on her face and her comments.... made it all worth while.
I do hope she made good use of the book.
Each time I visit Chapman's school, I alway have some unused equipment to donate, some money and I alway buy a new copy of Chapman's Book.

Last edited:
Regarding "Chapmans" :

I have read most of it and continue to refer to it. Some areas are pretty simple, guess you could say "beneath me". Other areas are beyond me, like some of the navigation stuff. But it still is a wealth of info!

pete

Lots of valuable works mentioned above, like Chapman's and Dashew. I'm surprised that no one has so far named Robert Beebe's Voyaging Under Power.

Just got my copy of Voyaging Under Power last week. Am 1/3 of the way through it already. Fascinating book! Thanks for the Tip!

My Chapman's is the one I received in USCG Officer Candidates School in 1977. I have had several others along the way...but kept the memorable one.

I had read it cover to cover several times before I ever thought of going in the USCG. And several times since.

Funny...but sometimes I feel the older additions were better...the newer ones seemed to be more flash than substance...catering to the jetski and bow rider crowds than cruisers...but it's a reflection of how boating has changed through the decades.

It's a book that is based on the same roots of the national boating group that guides the state safe boating courses...its an overview of boating from AtoZ...designed to start boaters....not to be the final chapter on any particular boating subject. Another way of looking at it....it generally shows boaters what they don`t know and to look further.

It's usually easy to pick out boaters based on their past readings and studies. Knowledge comes from moving through layers of information and practical experience. Starting with the basics is pretty common.

Last edited:
Just checked my Chapman's, which I used while taking US Power Squadrons courses long ago...
1977 - 53rd edition - Maloney. Still refer to it, though there are some chunks that are irrelevant for where I'm cruising now.

Funny...but sometimes I feel the older additions were better...the newer ones seemed to be more flash than substance...catering to the jetski and bow rider crowds than cruisers...but it's a reflection of how boating has changed through the decades.

So if one were buying Chapman's today, would you suggest I look for a vintage copy? I can picture the one my Grandfather had back in the 70s. Really have no use for jetski and bow rider perspectives.

The best reference book you can buy is one you will actually read.

If you won't read it don't buy it.

Back
Top Bottom