Old 12-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #21
Guru

Well now you've done it! I have just downloaded a sample of Master and Commander on my iPad. I think I'm off for a little recreational reading now...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Yeah, I could never get into it either. Not sure why. The seamanship is just fine, but it just does not have the spark that the Hornblower series has. And it may be just me.
Same here - I expected to be swept away by the O'Brien series, but none have ever clicked with me. OTOH, I can pick up any old Hornblower and begin re-reading with contentment.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
If I didn't know you better Craig, I would think that you had no romance in your soul at all. Along that line, guess I would also recommend "Marine Diesel Engines," by Nigel Calder. Good for putting you back to sleep if you wake up in the middle of the night. (Also a very good book to have onboard -- but I thought the OP wanted something with just a wee more plot to it.)

Believe it or not I've been thumbing through that one on my lunchtime the last week. What can I say, I enjoy a bit of light reading between commentaries.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
One of my all time favorite books is THE RIDDLE OF THE SANDS by Erskine Childers. Every time I pick it up and start to read it, its like saying hello to an old friend. Its a classic combination sea story and spy story. Anyone else ever read it?
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
One of my all time favorite books is THE RIDDLE OF THE SANDS by Erskine Childers. Every time I pick it up and start to read it, its like saying hello to an old friend. Its a classic combination sea story and spy story. Anyone else ever read it?
Good call. Yep, read and re-read it, and recommended it to several friends (one of whom absconded years ago with my copy). It's kind of hard to find these days, else I'd likely have replaced it on my bookshelf.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #26
Guru

Amazon.com is your friend. Bookfinder.com is where I go for hard to find books. A pretty entertaining movie was made of this story too some years ago, now available on DVD.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:39 PM   #27
Guru

Must say I am surprised nobody has mentioned Hemingway yet. He and Pillar are two of my heroes.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 12-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #28
Guru

Well now you mention it of course! I most enjoy books about Hemingway, perhaps even more than his own books. HEMINGWAYS BOATS is very good, as is THE HEMINGWAY PATROLS, about his German sub chasing days. Lest we forget one of the best tales of all that also made a fine movie, THE SAND PEBBLES by Richard McKenna. As fine a modern story as ever written. Part sea story, political novel and love story. Great book!

Oh and his boat Pilar, one L.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:37 PM   #29
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Must say I am surprised nobody has mentioned Hemingway yet. He and Pillar are two of my heroes.
Was about to suggest Hemingway, Emerson and Melville. Sam Clemens is always fun, too.
CWO KPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Just finished reading "The Curve of Time".
Old 12-23-2016, 12:11 AM   #31
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Just finished reading "The Curve of Time".

Nice book. Like many boat tourists, we read it this summer.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:21 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yup. For those that enjoy good English prose and the history of the British Navy, O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series simply can't be beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I will have to try an O'Brian novel again. I could not find the joy the last time I attempted one but that was 20 years ago, perhaps I've matured enough to give it a go.
Bruce
Quote:
Yeah, I could never get into it either. Not sure why. The seamanship is just fine, but it just does not have the spark that the Hornblower series has. And it may be just me.
Yes, I can understand the feelings, Marin used to say the same thing as well, but I persevered with them, and after the first couple of books his characters do start to grow on you. He gets better at developing the characters and the plots as he goes, as it were. So after about book 3 I couldn't stop, and downloaded them all one by one onto the iPad.

But for heavens sakes guys. Don't tell me you all read only nautical books when out there. I have every Game of Thrones volume on the pad as well, and a number of other non-nautical series. You are allowed to enjoy other genres, you know.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41' President
I enjoy Jack London and Herman Melville. Their classics, but good.
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #34
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The Hornblower series should be required reading for boat owners. Once you start reading Forester you'll have to read The African Queen.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #35
Guru

Fans of Ernest Gann know that during the 1930s and '40s he worked as a commercial airline pilot. That inspired books such as The High and the Mighty and Fate Is the Hunter (the greatest aviation book ever written, IMHO).

After turning in his wings, Gann became an avid sailor, and a few of his later books drew on that experience. Presently I'm reading for the first time his Twilight for the Gods, a novel set in the South Pacific during the late 1920s, at the end of the age of commercial sail. Typical of Gann, the details and the characters are vivid and authentic.

By the way, a boat that Gann had designed by Jay Benford and built in 1972 at Friday Harbor is now for sale in Yorktown, VA. Strumpet is an irresistibly salty-looking wood trawler. I wish someone else would buy the damn thing and put it safely beyond temptation.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Oh yes. I read that one. Great story, as you say. Also read "Sand Pebbles," which was mentioned by someone. Another good one, and the movie is also good.

But if we are going to get away from sea stories, then two of my all-time favorites are "Far Pavilions," by M.M. Kaye, and "Shogun," by James Clavell. Both are very long books, and thus ideal for having aboard.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
But for heavens sakes guys. Don't tell me you all read only nautical books when out there. You are allowed to enjoy other genres, you know.

True Pete but then that is not at all related to the question asked by the OP now is it

Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #38
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
... and a more recent book worth reading, Ship of Gold by Gary Kinder.
Highly recommend it too. I think the full title might be "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea", but not 100% sure.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #39
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Just finished The Riddle of the Sands again.

Here are a few I've enjoyed recently:

As the Sailor Loves the Sea (commercial fishing SE Alaska) Ballard Hadman

The Fisher Queen (salmon trolling on the BC coast) Sylvia Taylor

Fishing with John (salmon trolling on the BC coast) Edith Iglauer

Spilsbury's Coast (making a living on the BC coast) H. White & Jim Spilsbury

The Boys in the Boat Daniel James Brown

A favorite I am about ready to read again:

Snow Falling on Cedars David Guterson
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #40
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Yep. Got the movie too.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote