Bering 77 -- Ooooo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
This video happened to randomly pop up on my YouTube suggestions. Sales video I know but it was such a pleasure to watch I thought I'd post it. Bering 77, expedition style, but ahhh, that's a nice looking boat. I don't think I've ever seen a Bering in person, but what a beauty. Looks like $4-5 million euros, so about the same in dollars now that they're roughly in parity. Far out of my league certainly, but it was still interesting to see some of the design choices and features. What struck me most though, was how tall it is. We really love our own boat, but our boat is very tall and sidewinds push it around something awful. Now of course that Bering 77 certainly has thrusters, and at 165 tons displacement (yikes) that's pretty solid, but boy that thing is tall. I finally found the specs, depending on the electronics its air draft is around 40 feet. If you're "in the high latitudes" in a gale, do you want a boat 40 feet tall? But then maybe it's so heavy and with nearly an 8 foot draft you don't get pushed around as much.

Over ten times the displacement of our boat so I suppose I'm being silly to think the proportional wind profiles and behavior and height to length ratios compare at all. (Well, actually we're about 18' air draft to 40' LOA, that one is 40:77.)

Last edited:
With the price of fuel and given your windage, you could just wait for the wind to be going the right direction and up anchor and drift. Might save you a lot of fuel money…

This video happened to randomly pop up on my YouTube suggestions. Sales video I know but it was such a pleasure to watch I thought I'd post it. Bering 77, expedition style, but ahhh, that's a nice looking boat. I don't think I've ever seen a Bering in person, but what a beauty. Looks like $4-5 million euros, so about the same in dollars now that they're roughly in parity. Far out of my league certainly, but it was still interesting to see some of the design choices and features. What struck me most though, was how tall it is. We really love our own boat, but our boat is very tall and sidewinds push it around something awful. Now of course that Bering 77 certainly has thrusters, and at 165 tons displacement (yikes) that's pretty solid, but boy that thing is tall. I finally found the specs, depending on the electronics its air draft is around 40 feet. If you're "in the high latitudes" in a gale, do you want a boat 40 feet tall? But then maybe it's so heavy and with nearly an 8 foot draft you don't get pushed around as much.

Over ten times the displacement of our boat so I suppose I'm being silly to think the proportional wind profiles and behavior and height to length ratios compare at all. (Well, actually we're about 18' air draft to 40' LOA, that one is 40:77.)

Your not incorrect thinking about windage even with the displacement and draft. I assure you, she feels the effect of wind on her.

Back
Top Bottom