Benford Trawler 'Little Sindbad'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJHE

Just wondering if anybody has any photos of the Benford designed trawler 'Little Sindbad'? Have seen a design sketch of her but never the real thing. Thanks

Not seen pictures .......

Sinbad is featured in Beeb's book Voyaging Under Power. No pics but drawings, specs and information.

Sinbad is IMO quite a bit like the Willard 36. More like a ship than most all small boats. Her listed range of less than 3000mi could be much higher if a slower speed is used. Of course that's true of any boat.

How many have been built? Being steel there won't be many. What is your interest in Sinbad? Are you drawn to her rugged looks? Most would be .. like the W36. Both boats are rugged and shiplike in appearance in a world of boats that are not. But there's very few W36 boats as well.

This is first I've heard or seen one these . I like it a lot.
Looks tough as hell .

After seeing the picture that boatboker put up I don't think I should have compared Sinbad to the W36. They look somewhat alike but judging from the picture I see in pokers link I think Sinbad is much heavier fully considering their differences in length. One could even say mass for the sake of mass looking at that picture. The drawings make me think, oh nice big boat. The picture makes me think .. gross. However from the specs in Beeb's book she's powered at 4.4hp per ton disp. Typical for a boat of the type. Nordhavn 46 is 3hp per ton. I'm not that familar w bigger boats but I'd guess very few have mass even approaching Sinbad. She's a dramatic testimony to the fact that adding weight to a FD boat does little harm. All chain rode no problem.

What other trawlers 45' in length are in the 35 ton range?

Last edited:
I've seen drawings of this boat for 20 plus years and it didn't hold much appeal to me. The full build pictures changed all that, lol.

Thanks for the replies - I shall try Jay directly and see if he can help...

I read somewhere that the person who commissioned the design had previously owned the big Romsdal trawler Sindbad and that she was intended to be a scaled down version that was more manageable.

Sindbad is one of my all time favourites but way out of my league sadly... There might just be a chance with a 45 foot version however, hence my interest.

Sailor of Fortune - can I ask where you've seen the full build pics? Would love to see them for myself! Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom