Benford Fantail 38 resurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boatpoker

Guru
I've just posted a photo log on my website of our progress in the complete gutting and rebuild of our Benford 38 fantail "Dirt Free" for those who may be interested.

Attachments

• Benford 38 fantail  as purchased.JPG
    Benford 38 fantail as purchased.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 517
Great looking boat, and you're obviously quite the craftsman. Beautiful.

One question...you talk about the stern light being illegal because it's below the sheer line...why is that? As long as it meets the arc and range of visibility required by COLREGS I can't see why the location would matter. What am I missing?

Fantastic work! Are the blank spots on the page missing pictures or filler?
Love to see the after pics of the head etc.

Great looking boat, and you're obviously quite the craftsman. Beautiful.

One question...you talk about the stern light being illegal because it's below the sheer line...why is that? As long as it meets the arc and range of visibility required by COLREGS I can't see why the location would matter. What am I missing?

Sorry, it's a Canadian thing. Transport Canada requires navigation lights to meet ABYC A-16 which requires all nav lights to be above the sheer. If you think about nav lights low to the water it makes a lot of sense.

Sorry, it's a Canadian thing. Transport Canada requires navigation lights to meet ABYC A-16 which requires all nav lights to be above the sheer. If you think about nav lights low to the water it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks - that makes sense.

Fantastic work! Are the blank spots on the page missing pictures or filler?
Love to see the after pics of the head etc.

Over the next week or two I'll add more photos including my new head/shower arrangement which is currently under condtruction

Gorgeous vessel. I can't get over those arched windows, ....so tasteful. Benford might be more famous for the Florida Bay Coasters, but I really enjoy his other designs.

A really fine looking vessel, congratulations.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I've been looking forward to this thread for a while. I am absolutely smitten with Dirt Free, and you've done some really incredible work so far. The new windows make her look 30 years newer, and I love that overhead in the cabin.

Are you planning to add any rails along the side decks?

Thanks for sharing!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
Thanks Wayfarer. There will be bow and stern rails .... maybe stanchions with life lines .... maybe.

Good looking boat .I've been looking at older sailboats a lot lately because I love the salty lines .This boat looks good from any angle (to me not many do ) I love the windows and all the improvements . I know how much work it is . I'm looking forward to the head project . We want to rework ours as well . I could look at Dirt Free all day long .

Last edited:
After you posted in the paneling thread, I searched to see if you had done a rebuild thread and was disappointed. Thanks for posting this!

Boatpoker, very nice! :thumb: The two of you have great vision for potential as you reworked areas of your boat. So many see the change they want to make, and fail to see how it negatively impacts the area until they are done. Looking forward to more pictures.

Ted

Thanks Wayfarer. There will be bow and stern rails .... maybe stanchions with life lines .... maybe.

I like the life lines on Willy. Especially where they are and aren't. I like ahe accessibility aft and the visibility fwd.

Attachments

• DSCF0623 copy.jpg
    DSCF0623 copy.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 315
I like the life lines on Willy. Especially where they are and aren't. I like ahe accessibility aft and the visibility fwd.

A bow rail on Dirt Free is a certainty. we want the extra security when laying anchor. The stern rail will be mounted to the uprights of the cockpit bimini frames so will be fairly unobtrusive. Whatever we come up with for a bow rail will determine what I do about stanchions.

Another project completed.

Sharon doesn't ask for much but she wanted a granite countertop in the galley.... check. She wanted an undermount sink to go with that ... check. She wanted hidden/indirect lighting in the galley ... check.

Her latest request was for crown molding with hidden lighting. The only place I could find for it is the hatch over the bed.... There is nothing I wouldn't do for this woman. Crown molding in a boat !!!!! it must be love:smitten:

Attachments

• vberth 3.JPG
    vberth 3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 220
  • vberth 4.JPG
    vberth 4.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 217
  • vberth 5.JPG
    vberth 5.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 202
Did Benford call it a "fantail". It looks more like a canoe stern to me. Beautiful boat either way.

Thats what he calls it and it meets my understanding of the term.
I just know It's not a "trawler" ;)

Last edited:
Kulas, here is another shot of the stern that may make it more of a "fantail" to you.

Attachments

• fantail on trailer.jpg
    fantail on trailer.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 129
Beautiful work boatpoker . Crown molding on a boat . Man it's a PITA even in a straight house . I guess you cut it the same on a boat as in a house (upside down and backwards)?

Beautiful work boatpoker . Crown molding on a boat . Man it's a PITA even in a straight house . I guess you cut it the same on a boat as in a house (upside down and backwards)?

Yeah, a giant PITA (no need for a square or a level) but I love her and thats what she wanted :)

Really like the lighting effect in the hatch area. Food for thought.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. BACK AWAY FROM THE TF! You just finished (OK, not the best descriptive word-suggests a completion or end point) your re-build. Enjoy her for a while before aspiring to Mr. bp's elegant alterations...

giphy.gif

Mr. RT, fear not. There are other more pressing items on the list ahead of it. None of which will impede the use of the boat for more than a day.

Ted

Another project completed. teak frame cupboard doors with laminated safety glass.

Attachments

• saloon 8.JPG
    saloon 8.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 137
  • saloon cupboard dark.JPG
    saloon cupboard dark.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom