The Benefits of Liveaboards to a Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We liveaboard and have found that the quality of the liveaboard is directly proportional to the per foot charge for dockage. As for the sailors on moorings, that's a completely different story.

You blame the owner, of course. But if the owner finds that he is spending too much of his time and money dealing with this one identifiable type of patron, who trashes the place, then you cannot really blame him for deciding to stop doing business with that type of patron. Even if it is the minority of those types of patrons who cause the problems. And, most especially, when he can make a very nice profit without those types of patrons.

If the owner isn't protective and selective though, they can soon find themselves out of business. Ask Twin Peaks in Waco, TX how becoming a popular hang out for motorcycle gangs worked out.

We live aboard and have seen the wary greetings from dock masters when we were looking for a new marina. It seems this very debate is waged in the head of each marina manager. Good liveaboards can be a great asset. Bad liveaboards can be horrible.

We regularly adjust fenders that have hopped onto the dock, call people about chafe gear that has moved or is needed, or when hatches get left open. We've dog, cat, and boat - sat for our marina mates. We were lucky in grabbing the last slip for a little privacy but it also makes us much less useful as security guards.

I do know our marina manager appreciates the reliable income through the slow winter months as well...

there's all sorts out there I guess though....

Last edited:
Not likely that a good liveaboard is going to do much against a bad liveaboard.

The classic one has much to lose, the other not so much.

Cameras are the answer. My marina has trouble attracting any recreational customer base due to current and commercial operations, but also has no problem throwing out undesireables. But customers doing anything more than basic reporting of poor behavior would have been u sise with a few that have been tossed. Those were even what many here would consider the undesireables.

We live aboard and have seen the wary greetings from dock masters when we were looking for a new marina. It seems this very debate is waged in the head of each marina manager. Good liveaboards can be a great asset. Bad liveaboards can be horrible.

Since you are a good liveaboard, have bad liveaboards ever made you uncomfortable?

Have you been in a marina and other slipholders, especially liveaboards made you wonder about them? Wonder about criminal records? If you lived aboard with children, would you be concerned that no background checks have been done and perhaps others even with sex offender records?

Have you through careful selection of marinas found one that you're very comfortable with?

Just wondering how it's seen from the inside.

Seems to me a bit like looking for an apartment, just fewer available. Some places you can drive around the parking lot and know you don't want to live. Nearly 30 years ago, I was apartment searching (college years) and drove through one complex and witnessed a drug deal going down. I got out of there fast before they knew I saw them.

There is a concept known as adverse selection. There are those in society who can't rent apartments easily so pay cash to stay in sleazy motels or find an individual to rent from. There are similar renting boats to live on. Because they can't get into the marinas with standards, they will flock in greater than normal volume to those without. So, the good marinas will stay clean and have 100% good liveaboards while the bad will start with 80/20 Good to bad and then it becomes 60/40, then 40.60, and then 20/80.

It's like a company that doesn't have pre-employment drug tests. Unfortunately, all those who use drugs find out quickly and apply there.

We are full time summer liveaboards this year and I'd like to think we are assets. :angel:

........... It seems this very debate is waged in the head of each marina manager. Good liveaboards can be a great asset. Bad liveaboards can be horrible.....

You have been writing but not reading. :banghead:

In many cases, local law or operating permits prohibit liveaboards at marinas. It has nothing to do with the manager's opinion.

........Cameras are the answer. ........

Funny, I mentioned cameras at the marina just the other day. Not so much for security but so office staff would know what slips were empty without having to walk down the dock and look or ask the dockhands.

Right away, one of the forklift operators spoke up against them. He said that way people could watch what he was doing!

Personally, I don't see a lot wrong with the guy who is paying you to work being able to see if you are actually working but I decided there was no point in discussing it with him.

.................. There is a concept known as adverse selection. ........

As I mentioned several times, liveaboards are not permitted at my marina. However, there are no restrictions on boats. I now have two non-running boats a few slips down from me. First there was one, then two. They don't run and they look pretty bad. I saw the owner of one of them working on his engine standing in the engine compartment while smoking a cigarette! Yes, it's a gas powered boat!

Just this week we had a jug of gasoline go missing off the assistance tow boat. Pretty rare around here for any thefts.

Cameras revealed some kid on a jet ski, out of fuel, after hours, helping himself.

All fixed with the threat of involving the police after minimal detective work on the marina's part.

As to what marina to live in based on adverse selection, many times there are lots of factors why one marina is selected over another. In my case it is because of work and cost and no other liveaboard marinas within 10 miles.

Plus it is in a great area, usually very safe and secure. But every once and awhile, someone has a dark side not always apparent up front...or their family members are the isdue, not the slip holder.

Last edited:
You have been writing but not reading. :banghead:

In many cases, local law or operating permits prohibit liveaboards at marinas. It has nothing to do with the manager's opinion.

WesK, I'm not responding to your previous comments. I'm adding to the original discussion, being a LEGAL, liveaboard. Here in Georgia, if you file for an extension with the state (which we have done for the past 2 years and will continue to do) and you are at an approved marina (with appropriate shoreside and pumpout facilities) then you are legal.

Moving on...:banghead:....

BandB,

at one point, we were dockmates with a liveabord couple who got kicked out of the marina we were in. We were actually standing right there, (headed for groceries or something) when they got into a shouting match with the dock manager. yes, very uncomfortable.

With regards to security, we have felt uncomfortable with some other liveaboards...and with non-liveaboards... and some of the other people that make it onto the dock. I guess the question is: "Do a higher percentage of liveaboards (vs. non liveaboards)make us uncomfortable?" Eh, hard to say.

We are very limited here in Savannah, Georgia as to places we were allowed and whom had open slips. We were lucky to find a place that was as quiet, accomodating, and secure as where we are now (I'll give Marvin a plug: "WOOHOO!" for Coffee Bluff Marina:D).

In Maryland (We came down the ICW last spring) we had our pick and we did scout the marinas very carefully. There were some we were uncomfortable with but we were able to shop around for a nice one, with upstanding patrons, (and a good security system).

I think often dockmasters are not empowered or don't feel they are to get rid of slip holders. It seems to be getting rid of income. In reality though, maintaining standards will increase revenue over the long haul and decrease problems. This is live aboard or not.

I think often dockmasters are not empowered or don't feel they are to get rid of slip holders. It seems to be getting rid of income. In reality though, maintaining standards will increase revenue over the long haul and decrease problems. This is live aboard or not.

People have been kicked out of our marina, mostly for bad behavior such as running around the docks drunk and naked, disturbing other people with loud talk and music at 3:00 AM (while getting ready for a fishing trip) and late (2:00 AM) loud partying. This is all after several warnings.

There is one guy we know of who has had his last warning on the partying and will be gone the next time he forgets about others.

Another has been here for about fifteen years but his newly acquired dogs (as a result of the death of a child) have been banished. They attacked other dogs and couldn't be controlled by him or his wife.

A marina manager can be faced with the choice of evicting one customer or losing others.

Last edited:
Guess I'm lucky. I'm not a live-aboard but my house is about a mile from the marina. The marina has (a guess) 12-15 live-aboard boats. They include a retired cop, an active duty cop, a matre d' at one of NOLA's fanciest, 2 merchant seamen, an orthopedist, a consulting marine salvor, a college professor, a shipwright, a coupon clipping hippy, a tow truck driver, a retired shipyard welder ...... seems like a pretty broad cross section. Their boats vary from WOW! to, shall we say, project boats. Sail and power.

I feel really good about having those eyes and ears around 24/7. I was out of the country several years ago when a hurricane brewed up and came in at NOLA. I had called my yard and requested their storm prep service - when they got there - the boat was secured already. My live-aboard buds came through without asking.

I don't gift them with vegetables - but, from time to time contribute other vegetable based products to the full service bar (disguised a really big dock box).

Mermaid,

For every 10 good live aboards there is one dirt ball. It only takes one thief, drug addict, wife beater, or guy with a boat that's always sinking or looks like it should be hauled off to the landfill, to ruin it for everyone else. Lots of dirt balls see living aboard as cheap and off the radar. For municipalities trying to avoid being discriminatory, it's just easier to ban all live aboards.

Ted

Gee, that's about the same statistics on the dirt.... one bad neighbor for 10 good ones.....

Yep, people are people whether their home floats or is attached to land.

Paint gets spilled or ongoing projects never end. They collect things and have them stacked all over their boat. .

I resemble that remark.

You need references and a bond to rent homes and live in them , perhaps they should do the same to live in a marina?

Good tenants would get good references and should have no problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom