Belt jack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dach side

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
36' sabreline fast trawler
I saw on this forum, I think, a item called a belt jack, designed to adjust & hold belt tension when replacing or adjusting belts but can't find one. There was a referral to he company that made this product. Numerous queries on google yield no results. Anyone know where to get one?

Try searching for "Pulley Spreader" I believe that is what you are looking for

In a pinch you can make one out of a couple of chunks of wood and a hardware store turnbuckle.

Are you trying to adjust the belt tension via your alternator?

Attachments

• Picture 521a.jpg
    Picture 521a.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 125
Are you trying to adjust the belt tension via your alternator?
I believe the tool he's looking for goes between two pulleys and you screw it apart to move the pulleys apart and increase the belt tension.

Before I made mine I searched the Internet and couldn't find one. I still cant.

Rwidman, picture please.

This started life as a turnbuckle from the hardware store. I took the ends (eyes) out and flattened them in a vise with a hammer so they would stay in the pulley groves. Measure between your pulleys to figure out what size turnbuckle to get.

Put it between the pulleys and turn the center to expand the tool and move the pulleys apart.

Attachments

• Chesapeake 012.jpg
    Chesapeake 012.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Chesapeake 013.jpg
    Chesapeake 013.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 116
I've always used one of these 18-24" long.

Attachments

• Pry Bar.jpg
    Pry Bar.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 152
I've always used one of these 18-24" long.

Yes I was about to post the same. Or as Spy wrote "In a pinch you can make one out of a couple of chunks of wood and a hardware store turnbuckle."

I've never heard of a belt jack. Great idea though. Something in me says it's kinda like Aqua Drives, synthetic oil, brand name engines, twin engines, high tech anchors and many other things. I like it all except syn oil in NA engines.

But the thing I like about this is that it's something anybody can do to make things better. Good idea.

Thanks all, for the assistance. If I can't put one together, I can contact mscdirect.

Turnbuckle alternator adjusters - great idea.

I've had one of the tools since about 1980. Dozen or more engines and I don't use it.

The adjustable mounting arm.......where can I get one for a Sabre 80? That is surely the way to tackle that task, unless I'm missing something. Any down side?

I dislike sticking a lever into some dark space to tension a belt. It is easy to lever against something fragile, or find you've lost the tension when everything is bolted up tight. I had never heard of a belt-jack before reading this thread, but it is an elegant idea and appealed strongly. My junk box yielded two scrap turnbuckles, each missing the left-hand threaded male part. I reamed the left-hand female thread out of one (red ring) and voila! It works like a charm. The pics tell the story. The little pieces of clear hose are enough to stop it slipping on the pulleys.

BTW: This discussion came a the right time. The belt in the pic was worn and making black dust. I have used my little "jack" to change belts on both engines. Can I hope that the black dusting will be reduced, or stop altogether?

Sorry RWidman, no patent infringement intended!

Attachments

• Belt-jack 1.jpg
    Belt-jack 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 581
  • Belt-jack 2.jpg
    Belt-jack 2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I dislike sticking a lever into some dark space to tension a belt. It is easy to lever against something fragile, or find you've lost the tension when everything is bolted up tight. I had never heard of a belt-jack before reading this thread, but it is an elegant idea and appealed strongly. My junk box yielded two scrap turnbuckles, each missing the left-hand threaded male part. I reamed the left-hand female thread out of one (red ring) and voila! It works like a charm. The pics tell the story. The little pieces of clear hose are enough to stop it slipping on the pulleys.

BTW: This discussion came a the right time. The belt in the pic was worn and making black dust. I have used my little "jack" to change belts on both engines. Can I hope that the black dusting will be reduced, or stop altogether?

Sorry RWidman, no patent infringement intended!

That's a nice job. Much better looking than mine. Mine does the job on my engine though.

I remember the day when cars and trucks used single belts and these tools were in every shade tree mechanic's tool box. They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth now. Modern vehicles use serpentine belts with their own tensioners.

Bay view, that is exactly what I saw. Any idea where they're sold?

I don't want to violate any rules by posting links but if you search for belt jack you will find it.

Nothing wrong with posting links. It is done all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom