Bedding snap studs in fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I have 3 snap studs missing on the boat. I need to replace them. What would you use to bed them in the fiberglass? Butyl tape, 4200, something else?

There are ones with a screw attached or pop rivet, Interested in what other ways.
:facepalm: Bedding. sikaflex or butyl

Last edited:
Butyl tape on base and also wrapped around the screw threads, just cleanup the excess a couple of days later........:thumb:

I had several pull out stripping the hole too large to use a screw to replace them. I had no access to the back to use a nut and washer.

I ended up using #6 rubber Wellnut and machine screw. They worked great! Never pulled out and the Wellnut being rubber was self bedding.

Attachments

• 8C51ED10-2E8D-44BC-AB1F-584C39B05BEF.jpg
    8C51ED10-2E8D-44BC-AB1F-584C39B05BEF.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 35
4200, especially if yours work loose often.

Use soldering gun first to remove when necessary.

4200, especially if yours work loose often.

Use soldering gun first to remove when necessary.

i like 4200 for this too, or tremco makes a good sealant too. but i have never heard the soldering iron tip before, can you shed some light?

Agree with above. However, if it is a "new" spot for a snap, make sure you "predrill" the hole to prevent spidering

I had several pull out stripping the hole too large to use a screw to replace them. I had no access to the back to use a nut and washer.

I ended up using #6 rubber Wellnut and machine screw. They worked great! Never pulled out and the Wellnut being rubber was self bedding.

Did not know about these before - thanks, Parks!

i like 4200 for this too, or tremco makes a good sealant too. but i have never heard the soldering iron tip before, can you shed some light?

Heating many adhesives, even epoxy above 3-400 degrees helps soften and break them down. Otherwise you may pull off a chunk of gel.

Agree with above. However, if it is a "new" spot for a snap, make sure you "predrill" the hole to prevent spidering
The other tip to reduce spider/chips is to to break the sharp edge of gel coat with a countersink bit. That also provides room for whatever sealant you use to seal well around the shaft and not get squeezed out.

Thanks for the ideas. Park, I had not seen those well nuts before either so thanks for that tip.

I may use the butyl tape since I have it. If the screws don’t seem to be as solid as I’d like then I’ll give the 4200 a try. If the holes have been stripped, then a well nut.

Update:

I use the butyl tape. I had it on the boat and the screws seem to hold well in the existing holes.

The other tip to reduce spider/chips is to to break the sharp edge of gel coat with a countersink bit. That also provides room for whatever sealant you use to seal well around the shaft and not get squeezed out.

GREAT Idea!:thumb:

Anytime I will be using a self tapping screw into fiberglass I use a countersink. It almost removes the possibility of gel coat chipping. And then there is the benefit of making an O ring with the caulking. I normally have 2 drills and a driver out when screwing into fiberglass. One drill with a bit, one with the countersink and then the driver to put the screw in. Saves a lot of time changing bits. And it is a reason to tell my wife why I need multiple drills and drivers. She says I have never met a tool that I didn’t need…

In blind holes with no access to the back. I have repaired several where the treaded screw was loose and the hole required addition of material. I have drilled the hole slightly larger. washed the hole with acetone then used West G-flex with filler to coat the interior of the hole. After curing, I run a .125 drill to clean up the hole then install a new screw with sealant to retain the button. have done a number and after 5 years they are still tight. The G-flex is a little softer than the normal resin and works nicely with the threaded retaining screws.

Anytime I will be using a self tapping screw into fiberglass I use a countersink. It almost removes the possibility of gel coat chipping. And then there is the benefit of making an O ring with the caulking. I normally have 2 drills and a driver out when screwing into fiberglass. One drill with a bit, one with the countersink and then the driver to put the screw in. Saves a lot of time changing bits. And it is a reason to tell my wife why I need multiple drills and drivers. She says I have never met a tool that I didn’t need…
I have and use often a drill with a countersink, a one piece bit

I have frequently used marine tex to fill a screw hole that got too bed. As above, I drill it a little bigger. Clean out with acetone. Fill with marine tex and re-drill the hole for the screw.

I have frequently used marine tex to fill a screw hole that got too bed. As above, I drill it a little bigger. Clean out with acetone. Fill with marine tex and re-drill the hole for the screw.

I do the same.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom