Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Beachcomber decked out for the Christmas Boat Parade

This weekend is the 2013 Christmas Lighted Boat Parade and we participated again, as we usually do. One thing we do different from most of the boats is we pick a theme that is different from the usual Christmas theme.

Last year we decorated the boat in all pink lights because there was a big push on to recognize the fight against breast cancer.

This year our them was the Seattle Seahawks because they're doing so well. It's our Merry Christmas wish to the Seahawks and all the 12th Man Fans!

We had the staff from our local Junior Achievement and their husbands on board, with 19 of us on board. Here's what the outside looked like. These were taken after we got back to the dock.

Here's our 12th Man flag flying proudly from the bow.

and shown on the side of the boat.

Many of the guests wore their Seahawks jerseys or hats...

Needless to say a good time was had by all. I'll post a couple more pics as time allows but company is coming and I have to run.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Well done sir! Go Hawks!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Nice. I was at the boat parade here in Sarasota, FL last night. I was wondering how in the heck anyone can see where they are going with all those lights around you. I didn't see any single engine boats except for some small center consoles. Holding ones position in line when the parade stops, etc. must be a pretty big challenge in the windy conditions common for this time of the year.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Larry, I purposely plan our decorations (lights and obstructions like the flag) so they don't interfere excessively or block my vision forward. You're spot on with your comment about holding position when the wind is blowing.

In the 15+ years I've done the boat parade we've run into all kinds of weather conditions. The worst was many years ago when we had a heavy rain followed by a huge windstorm (winds in the 20-25mph range) that carried all kinds of dirt and dust with it, which was followed by winds in the 40's. They had to cancel that parade midway through and many had trouble getting boats back into slips and boat houses.

This year was wind-free, just on the chilly side.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #5

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
Larry, your comments about seeing and holding position are spot on..LOL We participated in our local Pine Island Christmas parade and had exactly the issues you speak of. And its extremely difficult to see to the stern when having to back up and hold position. Our parade ended in Pine Island Sound and I immediately cut the lights to regain my night vision. It was nerve racking but lots of fun.
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote