BC Flooding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But,But,But
You did reply. :banghead:

:dance: Wet coast-Wet coast-Wet coast

May be on the left of a right handed man.

Very true, my bad!!! Is there such a thing call over wet?? We have been travelling over the past month and have seen nothing but blue skies and warm temps. Back to the rain in a few days

Ya, I heard that too.
First they put a fleet of boats on the Georgia Straight and then name all Salish something, then ......... before you know it everyone is calling it the Salish Sea.

Wait a minute. Its not Puget Sound?

Thank geography and nature we’re good and wet. If we had 8 or so inches of rain how many people do you think would flock to the PNW? Can you think of 3 or 4 California’s stacked up from Seattle to Juneau?

So are prop chains required on a vessel north of Campbell River!!!:thumb:

It occurred to me only locals may be aware of the Salish class of BC Ferries fleet with #6 steaming up the west coast after coming through the panama canal from Poland.
Talk about sea trials.

Were they named before or after official name recognition of the Salish Sea in 2010?

Remember the Deas tunnel?

For years we called it the Deas tunnel.
Then some politician needed to advance his agenda .. George Massey.
That’s stupid. Naming things is a method of recognizing them among other people.
It isn’t the flavor of the day. A name isn’t any good until it gets established. Then it functions as a name. Until some cross eyed politician gets the sudden urge to “honor” somebody. They can/should honor them in some less troublesome way. One could always do it in the obvious proper way …. name something that has’nt been named yet or purge the burning desire to name things. Get a wife and name the children. Or accept their existing name.

Alaskaflyer wrote;
“Were they named before or after official name recognition of the Salish Sea in 2010?”

I’s official ?? Who did that?
Do we hafta take Georgia Strait off all the maps now:banghead:

Alaskaflyer wrote;
“Were they named before or after official name recognition of the Salish Sea in 2010?”

I’s official ?? Who did that?
Do we hafta take Georgia Strait off all the maps now:banghead:

It's not an either/or.

It includes the Strait of Georgia, Strait of Juan de Fuca, Puget Sound, and an network of connecting channels and adjoining waterways.

To your other point, as I mentioned, it (they?) wasn't named the Straits of Georgia until Captain Vancouver unilaterally ignored its previous Spanish name, and before that various native names.

Last edited:
Do we hafta take Georgia Strait off all the maps now

Georgia Strait remains unchanged, as do Haro, Juan de Fuca, Malaspina, Puget Sound and all lesser bodies of local water.

They are all within the Salish Sea, which is actually a transboundary ecosystem, occupying more land area than waterways.

It’s a catchy phrase, which becomes watered down, generalized and adapted, as something other than what it really is. These things are further diluted by social media, a dumbed down public and a manipulative tourism industry. Just like the Great Bear Rain Forest and PNW.

Another example is the pristine Grenville Channel disrespectfully labelled “the ditch,” a term further advanced by Waggoner’s and subsequently apologized for.

Attachments

• SSTE.jpg
    SSTE.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 29
I refuse to comply. It will always be Puget Sound.

I refuse to comply. It will always be Puget Sound.

It was never Puget Sound. That is, Puget Sound is a small fraction of the waters of Western Washington that the ill-informed call collectively "Puget Sound". To cite one example, the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is not on Puget Sound.:socool:

So it will be interesting to see how these storms will affect spring high tide trash in the water later in April as the cruising season starts.

You said you don’t get any news where you live, so while you are lying awake at night, worrying about some driftwood interfering you’re your pleasure boating, here’s some news from the working class:

BC floods have claimed more than 640,000 animals, including 628,000 poultry, 12,000 hogs and 420 cows, along with 110 beehives.

Not worth my time or effort

Back
Top Bottom