Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: Vermont
Anybody else using a Dickinson? I want something that can be rail mounted, and it doesn't look like that can easily be done with the weber baby Q
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Anybody else using a Dickinson? I want something that can be rail mounted, and it doesn't look like that can easily be done with the weber baby Q
You can make a basic rail mount from a rod holder and cutting board (bait prep type) flange or just buy the whole cutting boards and set the grill on it.

It may require additional stabilization or not depending on your comfort level and under what conditions (like rolly anchorage) you will use it.

Just use a rail clamp rod holder...
Attached Thumbnails
T10-302prod1.jpg  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Guru

City: Vermont
That's certainly an option. We like to leave the grill in place rather than stow it after each use, so it need to be secure while underway in sometimes rough conditions. We just put on the cover and go. So I'd have to secure the grill to the table, but I'm sure that could be accomplished.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #24

City: Cape Coral FL\Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
You can drill holes in the legs of the Baby Q. I mounted mine on my transom that way. I also run it off a 20lb tank which lasts forever.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
That's certainly an option. We like to leave the grill in place rather than stow it after each use, so it need to be secure while underway in sometimes rough conditions. We just put on the cover and go. So I'd have to secure the grill to the table, but I'm sure that could be accomplished.

You can just buy the adjustable bracket that fits in the holder with no table and bolt the unit on...a small stabilizer bar or second rod holder/mount would make it very secure and still easily removed for deep cleaning etc...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #26
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
My vote is for the Weber Baby Q also, but get the model with the thermometer in the lid. Weber really know how to build grills, the heat control is excellent.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Yes, Thanks!

All of the advice is very helpful from everybody!!!

I like to leave my BBQ mounted in a flush mount rod holder in the cockpit.
We use it almost every day when on the boat, and I'm not anxious to have to stow it every time I use it.

So, its going to have to be one of the "marine" units.

I even thought about buying a regular home stainless grill and using the crane to get it to the boat deck, but while my boat deck is pretty good sized, its also a well utilized space with liferaft, skiff, etc... up there. Then you run into the how do I secure it problem, since we use our boat for bluewater cruising.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Rekindle
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-145
We have also been in the market for a good quality BBQ. Used the original kettle for 20 years and love it but the parts they're making for repairs/maintenance just don't work.

Looked at the Galleymate that Boat Electric is carrying and even though it's $$$$ the quality and design seems to be far superior to anything else out there. They come from AU.

http://www.boatelectric.com/gallymate.html
Rekindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We had the largest, dual burner Magma mounted outboard on our flying bridge, an with age it too developed the flame-going-out problem. It was quite exposed and had a lot of use over 5 years, several times a week. Anyway, I was going to make a winter project of rebuilding it; in the meantime we bought Weber Q at Lowes one size up from the Baby, with a thermometer on the front. A dock neighbor had one on his Defever; he had bolted it to a piece of starboard then had that in turn bolted to some Magna rail mounts. He really touted me on it, and I had read good reviews on another boating forum. We never have got around to rebuilding the Magma, the parts come to about what I paid for the Q.

The Q is a simply great grill, stands up well to wind, very adjustable, etc etc. Note that Weber explicitly says it is not for RV or boat use. I am not sure why they say that other than perhaps the mounting issue. Highly recommended.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #30
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We are going on seven (yes, 7) years with a Dickenson Sea-B-Q small, and are very, very happy with it. It has lived its entire life on the rail - first our sailboat, now the tug - and I haven't had to replace a single part. We do keep it covered. The only downside we've encountered is that it does run hot, but then again, it never blows out. Just need to keep an eye on the temp. This year I may replace the porcelain grates as they are starting to wear, but the burner still looks like new. A good friend has one of the little Webbers that have been mentioned here, and it is also a great unit. It does very well with lower temps, like for fish. We are often rafted together and divide the food between the two grills depending on the temps we want to cook with. Only real downside I see to the Webber is that you need a way to mount it, and it will blow out. The Dickenson has NEVER blown out. My friend dealt with these issues with the Webber by installing a fish clean/filet table on pedestal on his swim platform for mounting. And for wind, he has a very wide boat that pretty much blocks everything so long as bow is to wind (i.e. at anchor). Works for him but would not do as well on our boat. Just our experiences. Both are great products.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We had the largest, dual burner Magma mounted outboard on our flying bridge, an with age it too developed the flame-going-out problem. It was quite exposed and had a lot of use over 5 years, several times a week. Anyway, I was going to make a winter project of rebuilding it; in the meantime we bought Weber Q at Lowes one size up from the Baby, with a thermometer on the front. A dock neighbor had one on his Defever; he had bolted it to a piece of starboard then had that in turn bolted to some Magna rail mounts. He really touted me on it, and I had read good reviews on another boating forum. We never have got around to rebuilding the Magma, the parts come to about what I paid for the Q.

The Q is a simply great grill, stands up well to wind, very adjustable, etc etc. Note that Weber explicitly says it is not for RV or boat use. I am not sure why they say that other than perhaps the mounting issue. Highly recommended

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"

just couldn't help myself....

Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #32
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am one season into a Dickinson Spitfire. For me that means using it pretty much every night aboard, and I am quite happy with the way the Dickinson cooks, long enough for the skewers I use for shrimp and kabobs, no issues with not enough heat or it blowing out (so far). Good temperature stability, does a pork loin excellent! I am in process of switching the regulator to a low pressure model so I can run it off the boat's propane system. I believe the Sea-B-Q and Spitfire are the same grill...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #33
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Love the Weber Baby Q. Cooks great, is stable and cost me $99 in Walmart.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We were looking at one of these.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #35
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Looks like the Weber has a sizable lead so far and no negatives!

Have the Magma, not overly impressive in any department.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #36
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Lowes Home Store -$64 not as heavy duty as a Magma...but have several friends/relatives who bought them and all love it....leave it out in the weather too as it is stainless..may have cheaper parts but I'll bet cheaper than Magma in the long run...

Shop Master Forge Stainless Steel Portable Gas Grill 12,000-BTU 198-sq in Portable Gas Grill at Lowes.com -

Yep, correct answer, bought one at the end of the season on closeout for 49.95 works fine and for that I can buy a bunch of em.

Don't buy Magma over priced China junk, buy cheap China junk for cheap and toss, rinse and repeat.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #37
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I'd recommend the Weber Baby Q, as someone mentioned. We have it's big brother at home, and they're great. Being alloy, they would be ok at sea I think. However, securing and storing could be an issue. Speaking for ourselves, for on the boat, we won't go past this…..

Home - Cobb International
Leave the baby at home.

I have the Weber Q280, two burners and has regulator for 20 lb tank.
Looks almost as well as my Genesis at home.

A great grill for the boat, as it is heavy enough to maintain the heat you need to cook meat.

If not this, then get a slow cooker

P.s my first boat grill luckily lasted long enough, one steak dinner, to realize that it wouldn't work, could not get hot enough for MEAT, then, an ICW piling took care of the rest.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Here is how I mounted my Dickinson Spitfire .
Attached Thumbnails
grill.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #39
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
We have had a Force 10 (now Kouma, I think) for about 6yrs. Not faultless; ignition unit doesn't want to work, so we light it w/a butane torch. Otherwise it has been great. 98% of our cruising cooking is done on it. Carry it on a rail mount w/cover all season. So far the stainless has held up well.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Glad no one here has suggested The Egg. Whew!

This didn't catch anything today, so it became an appetizer tonight.

There are no losers in this kind of fishing!!

(Only 32 inches, this guy got tossed back to grow up.)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote