BBQ. LPG or Electric ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
A present I have a LPG BBQ works well but thinking of a second BBQ on the fly bridge :). Whats others though on elect v gas ?

LPG is easy and cheap
Electrickery costs $$$.

Makes sense if you have 2,power them differently,it gives you options. If both are gas, and you`re out of gas, you`re out of bbq.

We run all electric boats with no propane. Good electric grills cost more than gas grills but do an excellent job.

LPG is easy and cheap
Electrickery costs $$$.

When at the marina electricity is free when on the hook I run the generator morning and night for 30/40 min to top up the fridge and hot water so the gen is running with a good load

When at the marina electricity is free when on the hook I run the generator morning and night for 30/40 min to top up the fridge and hot water so the gen is running with a good load

Yeah fair enough.
Different boats, different usage.

Last edited:
There are plug in type electric grills, it doesn`t have to be a chef`s installation,I`m sure Mrs Gaston would not be insisting on that.
Btw, we were at Berowra last weekend, Barrenjoey is looking good.
So was Black Label.:whistling:

There are plug in type electric grills, it doesn`t have to be a chef`s installation,I`m sure Mrs Gaston would not be insisting on that.
Btw, we were at Berowra last weekend, Barrenjoey is looking good.
So was Black Label.:whistling:

We use two different sizes of electric George Forman grills on our vessel. If you'd had more time in BC we'd of grilled you surf and turf.

I prefer propane. They are faster and the added risk of shock or worse on a wet boat deck doesn't seem to be less than the risk of propane on the boat. I suppose one can limit the use of electric grills to only dry times, but when cruising, I use the grill almost every night, whether it's raining or not.

Ted

I prefer propane. They are faster and the added risk of shock or worse on a wet boat deck doesn't seem to be less than the risk of propane on the boat. I suppose one can limit the use of electric grills to only dry times, but when cruising, I use the grill almost every night, whether it's raining or not.

Ted

He's already got a propane grill, so I vote for the redundancy of the 2nd one being electric; he's running the genset anyway. No risk of shock with proper installation, electric grills are quite common on FBs.

I prefer propane...

Ted

Me too. My three propane bottles last about 3 years, so i never run out.

Most of all, I've never had a steak cooked on an electric grill that was as good as gas.

Me too. My three propane bottles last about 3 years, so i never run out.

Most of all, I've never had a steak cooked on an electric grill that was as good as gas.

Completely depends on the grill and the chef, not the heat source.

The way I see it is more the answer to few simple question:
Do you use your grill often at the hook?
Are you ready to run your genset each time you wanna use your grill (think of the noise)?

I guess that this would drive the choice.

L

We've got propane. I think if we added a second, it'd be plug-in electric. Might do just that...

-Chris

We run all electric boats with no propane. Good electric grills cost more than gas grills but do an excellent job.

What is a good electric grill? I have gas on the boat but on my condo's lanai I am required to use electric. I have the small Weber Q electric and don't like it.

Has anyone put a charcoal smoker on thier boat? I’m thinking about a medium size big green egg, with a custom welded nest for it on the upper deck. I have a propane one for searing so it would only get used for smoking (small fire, limited flames). I have a big open deck away from all flammable things and would put down matting/protection below it.
It’s about number 536 on the list of projects for the boat so not important at this point but thought I’d ask.

Electric power requires a long chain of working items.

Propane only requires a cylinder.

...I’m thinking about a medium size big green egg, with a custom welded nest for it on the upper deck...

Here you go. :thumb:

Attachments

• 880040D0-A644-4488-BD41-E5DE78CDBD05.jpeg
    880040D0-A644-4488-BD41-E5DE78CDBD05.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 622
That’s what inspired me actually! Although I have a perfect corner so it would attach to my rails.
I’ve been looking over my BGE at home and it would be pretty easy to retrofit to all stainless hardware.

So for those who advocate propane, how many bottles do you carry and what are the made of?

TIA

. No risk of shock with proper installation,.

Sorry, that's not possible. There is always some risk. Following your logic, there would be no risk of fire with a properly installed propane system, yet occasionally there is a boat fire.

Ted

What is a good electric grill? I have gas on the boat but on my condo's lanai I am required to use electric. I have the small Weber Q electric and don't like it.

Not sure what Q you have but a buddy cooked some excellent steaks and burgers on his boat one day with what I think was the 2400 model that he brought from home.

The best one I have been exposed to a few times was a Kenyon on a friends boat down in Florida. We cooked up all kinds of good things on that.

Sorry, that's not possible. There is always some risk. Following your logic, there would be no risk of fire with a properly installed propane system, yet occasionally there is a boat fire.

Ted

Well there is risk of falling off the flying bridge or the stairs/ladder to it as well....geeeeezz.....

And you mean to say there have been boat fires due to a well installed propane grill?

As far as how long one's propane supply lasts is of course a function of how much you use it.

So for those who advocate propane, how many bottles do you carry and what are the made of?

TIA

We have propane BBQ and propane range (even though our builder tried to talk us out of it), but electric oven and electric Beni Hana table. Two aluminium propane bottles (main and reserve) in a propane locker. 8 gallons each, as I recall (about 50% taller than the standard / common size). We have never run out of propane. When one bottle is empty, the second bottle will last for about a month of daily use. As for electric, I personally don't think the flavor is as good as flame cooked.

Last edited:

TIA
I carry two 17 pound composite tanks. My dinghy outboard also runs on propane. The table top grill will run most of a year on one of those tanks.

Ted

Gaggenau and Miele would be my favorites. Kenyon (220 only) one step behind. Also, Fire Magic and Electri-Chef.

Now, going to toss one more out for people just grilling for two and only occasionally. T-Fal Optigrill. Beats any Foreman. Use on the kitchen or galley counter easily. Grills steaks or burgers or hot dogs well. Grills pork and chicken well also but not a grilled exterior so I like to then put them in a skillet briefly before serving.

Oh, if you want a good countertop oven, I highly recommend Breville Smart Oven. Don't know how smart it is as I don't use those functions, but have done some incredible Prime Rib in one.

Has anyone put a charcoal smoker on thier boat? I’m thinking about a medium size big green egg, with a custom welded nest for it on the upper deck. I have a propane one for searing so it would only get used for smoking.

We have a weber q gas
If you want smoke but not an additional device, wood chips in a foil pouch works.

T-Fal Optigrill. Beats any Foreman. Use on the kitchen or galley counter easily. Grills steaks or burgers or hot dogs well. Grills pork and chicken well also but not a grilled exterior so I like to then put them in a skillet briefly before serving.

We have a sunbeam 4 slice cafe sandwich press, similar looking device.
It gives good grill lines on steaks etc and does a pretty good pizza but haven't used it in over a year as it pulls too many amps for too long so I dont feel comfortable using batt/inverter alone and won't use genset just for that..

I actually have a Pellet Smoker (Green Mountain Grills) on the boat now but worry about rust long term. It’s 1 year in and holding up fine so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom