Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #81
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Looks great, can I get that baguette recipe please.

We do this every few days, ciabatta like and cooked in a cast iron pot

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...no-knead-bread

, but I do love bagguettes and batards.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop...-covered-baker

A baker like this. Recipe.

370 grams King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
250 grams of water
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast

Mix water, yeast, and salt, then add to flour. Add to the flour to yield a dough that is fairly well homogenized. No need to knead. Place dough in a plastic vessel to rise overnight, two nights if you have patience, longer fermentation equals deeper bread flavor. Heat covered baking vessel in oven to 450 degrees. Gently dump dough on cutting board and form into loaf. Carefully place dough into the covered baker and cut slits in the dough with a very sharp knife. The key is to not delate the risen dough. Put the cover on and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake for 10 - 12 minutes uncovered. This will yield a nicely browned loaf with a hard crust and a soft, chewy inside, called the crumb. The bread is ready when the interior reaches 107 - 110 degrees. Best to use a Thermopen instant read thermometer. Simi, are you not an Aussie? If so, for the flour I suggest any UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour.

No lie. I have for 20 years tried many methods and recipes and never had much success until I happened upon this method. The bread is as good as any I have had from any source. The covered baker is not inexpensive but it works. You can find another brand at a website called Breadtopia. That's the one I use. Good luck.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #82
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Does anyone use the gauge that screws on to the bottle and the hose then screws into it, Iím told it helps not running out of gas?
No. But we have a 2 bottle set up,both are connected, switch between them by flicking a lever. Ones runs out, we switch bottles, and refill the empty soon as.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #83
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Does anyone use the gauge that screws on to the bottle and the hose then screws into it, Iím told it helps not running out of gas?
I had one, but it did not work as a level gauge. It is really just an empty or not gauge -- won't tell you that you are close to empty (until you are on fumes, literally). The problem is that liquid propane (and cng) will evaporate, thereby expanding and increasing pressure, until the pressure reaches the boiling point (evaporation point) of the liquid. That pressure is the same regardless of how much liquid is in the tank. So, the gauges are pretty much useless.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #84
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post

No lie. I have for 20 years tried many methods and recipes and never had much success until I happened upon this method. The bread is as good as any I have had from any source. The covered baker is not inexpensive but it works. You can find another brand at a website called Breadtopia. That's the one I use. Good luck.
Thanks for that.
I am pretty fussy about baguettes/banh mi having spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam and New Caledonia and was under the impression that steam was an integral part of the genuine process and its almost impossible to find anything decent in Australia that compares.
I am sure what we make could be no worse than what is sold commercially here and I'll gladly give yours a try, even if it gets close to a bagguette it'll be a win out here.
After all, the bread I linked to is not ciabatta, but ciabatta like so a baguette like, same same but different, will work.

We have a schlemertopf, another version of a glazed clay oven, I'll try that first
Says it works for bread.
https://www.amazon.com/Schlemmertopf.../dp/B000XP487I
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
That's one of the reasons I like my composite tanks, no guessing. See post #57 if you haven't already.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #86
Veteran Member

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Mhyzhen
Vessel Model: Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
my propane dealer will certify tanks for free since i am a customer
i got 4 of the smaller 12 pound aluminum tanks from a floor cleaning company (propane buffer tanks) when they moved up to bigger machines w/bigger tanks, and he replaced the blow offs(4 bucks each i think) and re certified the tanks for free, so it might be worth asking if you deal with a distributor ..... aluminum tanks have no set end date as long as there is no physical damage nor corrosion issues, valves of course may need replacing at some point

i use to think waking up to perking coffee was the best smell ever (and i dont even drink coffee,lol) but once i was turned on to home made bread i think that smell is is second only to bacon n onions frying
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #87
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Thanks for that.
I am pretty fussy about baguettes/banh mi having spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam and New Caledonia and was under the impression that steam was an integral part of the genuine process and its almost impossible to find anything decent in Australia that compares.
I am sure what we make could be no worse than what is sold commercially here and I'll gladly give yours a try, even if it gets close to a bagguette it'll be a win out here.
After all, the bread I linked to is not ciabatta, but ciabatta like so a baguette like, same same but different, will work.

We have a schlemertopf, another version of a glazed clay oven, I'll try that first
Says it works for bread.
https://www.amazon.com/Schlemmertopf.../dp/B000XP487I
The covered bakung vessel. Creates its own steam. That's why it works so well.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #88
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Ted

I did read that and I think that is a great idea as long as it’s not a problem getting them filled.

Another question, does anyone cook with the mats that seem to be popular today?

Thanks.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #89
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Another question, does anyone cook with the mats that seem to be popular today?

Thanks.
Know a couple of boaters that use and really like them. Personally I think the government is behind them to reduce life expectancy and solve the Social Security shortfall issue. Think I'll see if there are health issues in 10 years or so.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #90
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Lmao
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
In very cold temps, below zero, LPG stored in a non-heated space may not actually work. I guess you would have to wrap the tank in warm cloths to get the gas to flow.
I remember when I worked in northern Alberta, at the lumber mill, when the temp dropped and remained below zero, they had trouble getting the LPG to vaporize for the lumber dying ovens.

Maybe true, but you sure werenít using the propane to bbq some steak and shrimp to eat on the poop deck whilst drinking margaritas and watching the sun set. You were thawing steam lines to get the mill going! Been there, done that, and have the parka, and the Stanfieldís to remember it by!
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #92
Guru

Mystified, so had to search cooking mats. Ah, you mean silicone sheets. No don`t use them,have not felt the need, but have seen them.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #93
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
. Ok, back to Electric vs Gas vs Charcoal.

I have a rail mounted Weber 1200 with stock griddle 1/2 so I can grill or griddle (is that word as a verb?). I really miss low temp smoking of brisket, pork butt and so on. I have a very small iron skillet that I am going to try as a wood chip pan with my Weber with the meat (after a quick All sided braise) to smoke. Perhaps if I torch the chips, that will work.

Two of my dock mates have Traeger Smokers as in the link. Should my attempt be unsuccessful I may go with one of those. I have heard of an electric smoke generator that with the Weber might work. Really, really hard to find proper Fort Worth Texas BBQ here in FL. Near St Pete in Gulf Port there is a place, but that is all I have discovered.

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/g.../TFT17LLA.html
Iíd go with the Green Mountain Grills portable, same system but more stainless parts. I have Traegers at both my houses, plus got my parents one, i love them, but quality has gone to crap, my 2 year old one is rusting badly in the firebox.
I have the GMG on the boat, itís just slightly noisy but does a great job at smoking and grilling. A bit under a year and no rust yet.

AC
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Mystified, so had to search cooking mats. Ah, you mean silicone sheets. No don`t use them,have not felt the need, but have seen them.

Tried the silicone sheets but we agreed the food cooking was more sweating and stewing than BBQing
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #95
Guru

City: Here
Made ciabatta today with Canadian flour (no additives, no enrichment. I.E. does not have all the good stuff stripped out then less than half put back in). Absolutely delicious. Tomorrow ... papo seco rolls
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG   8.JPG  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #96
Guru

This onboard bread making is impressive. I knew people who leased out their restaurant to go cruising,they made bread daily, it was a joy being in the same bay.
Does anyone carry a sourdough starter onboard, instead of using yeast?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:05 AM   #97
Guru

This is our effort every few days.
Rectangular one is banana and date using up bananas that get away from us and the round is the ciabatta like bread done in a cast iron dutch oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2018-02-05-16-59-43~01.jpg  
Old 02-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #98
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: We don't do bread. Seldom ever eat bread outside occasionally at a restaurant. In fact, even for hamburgers and hot dogs we generally skip the buns. Even eat sandwiches without the bread.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #99
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Agree with BandB...
Meat > Bread
Old 02-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post

A baker like this. Recipe.

370 grams King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
250 grams of water
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast

Are you sure that's right?
The baker says there doesn't seem to be near enough water to wet out flour - she needed twice as much to get it together