BBQ grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helmsman43

I am ordering a helmsman 43 and looking to put a grill on the fly bridge. Any suggestions? I’m looking to have a cabinet made behind the settee with a grill and refrigerator. My other choice is in the cockpit.

Gunwale space in the cockpit of our Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38 is limited. Seems too tight to put it on either side, the transom door to starboard takes up a good bit of space, and that leaves the center to port area. Seems to me that if there is space on the bridge deck, that's the place for a grill.

Same concept, but on a different boat, I have a FireMagic, Classic, I believe. Two burners. Works well. It is propane, but with a proper propane locker and plumbing, I think it is safe. (For that matter, we have a Viking gas range in the galley.)

Crusty Chief turned me on this Weber gas grill. I left my Magma grill on the fish cleaning table!!

Love this grill. We just ended our our 4th trip with it and strongly recommend it. 20210908_182513.jpg

GRIDDLE. That is the way to go. For me at least. Far too many flareups with a gas grill.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Crusty Chief turned me on this Weber gas grill. I left my Magma grill on the fish cleaning table!!

Love this grill. We just ended our our 4th trip with it and strongly recommend it.View attachment 120919

I've got one of those. The Weber Q1200. I love it.

(The Q1000 is very similar, with slightly fewer features and a slightly different profile).

It is 2-3 years old now, works like new, and looks almost new. It stays on my flybridge rail 24x7x365. When not in use, I keep it under the nylon cover they sell for it.

It is much more reliable, requires less minor figiting and maintenance, and generally makes me much happier than the more expensice Magma marine grill I had bought for my last boat, which seemed to start getting minor corrosion right away.

Attachments

• 20200324_145820.jpg
    20200324_145820.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210116_132942.jpg
    20210116_132942.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210116_132948.jpg
    20210116_132948.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
If you would rather avoid gas, and also would like to have a BBQ appliance that is so well insulated you can just sit it on a cockpit table, and save all the hassle of a rail-mounted system, especially if rail space is tight, you could do worse than consider a Cob. We had one and used it for nearly 16 years, and it coped well with everything we asked of it - and it's kinda fun to use. Stainless gas-fired BBQs are so passé... :D
They are available on Amazon all over the world now.
https://www.cobbaustralia.com.au/pr...st-addition-to-the-cobb-family-of-bbq-grills/

To fire it up, all you need is 3 fire-starters and about 6 carbonettes...when finished cooking it is quite good to warm the cockpit when it gets a bit chilly, (don't take it into an enclosed space, just in case of CO), and the ashes can just be dumped overboard next morning. All ready to cook again then...:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 7.31.59 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 7.31.59 pm.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I've got one of those. The Weber Q1200. I love it.

(The Q1000 is very similar, with slightly fewer features and a slightly different profile).

It is 2-3 years old now, works like new, and looks almost new. It stays on my flybridge rail 24x7x365. When not in use, I keep it under the nylon cover they sell for it.

It is much more reliable, requires less minor figiting and maintenance, and generally makes me much happier than the more expensice Magma marine grill I had bought for my last boat, which seemed to start getting minor corrosion right away.

How many “meals” do you get out of a gas bottle? Ballpark?

I still like my Magma grill. This newer one has never blown out like the old ones did. It's perfect for 2 people.
I get from 4 to 6 meals depending on what's cooking.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 52
Our next grill will be a small land based portable so it has two burners. That allows for indirect cooking like we do at home. Need to figure out how to adapt one to a pedestal on the swim platform.

Another vote for the Weber Q! Great quality--cast iron cooking surface is awesome!

Another vote for Weber Q grills for bbq, though I recently purchased a Nexgrill from Costco that is similar but has dual controls instead of a single burner on Weber.

https://www.costco.com/nexgrill-cast-aluminum-table-top-gas-bbq.product.100519906.html

That said, 95% of my outdoor cooking is now on a Blackstone flat-top griddle. Much more versatile and while there are no grill marks on the steak, they do get a nice even sear.

https://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/blackstone-tabletop-griddle-bstn1039.html

I still like my Magma grill. This newer one has never blown out like the old ones did. It's perfect for 2 people.
I get from 4 to 6 meals depending on what's cooking.

Same here - I tossed my old Magma that came with the boat, and purchased new Magma, with the hinged lid. Never blows out, and cooks well.

I am ordering a helmsman 43 and looking to put a grill on the fly bridge. Any suggestions? I’m looking to have a cabinet made behind the settee with a grill and refrigerator. My other choice is in the cockpit.

Wifey B: Well, I'd go electric and two main choices there are Kenyon and Gaggenau. Go to top of either line and you'll have an excellent, trouble free grill. :D

Have three different webers at home but that nexgrill looks perfect for the boat.

I do like the Webers if you have the room & storage. I have one at home and it works great.
For boat & motorhome I was looking for something a little more compact. Settled on the female Kuma
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/kuu...6_7-yw7dTH3TRE3FSZAaAhkaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
On the boat I made a rod holder mount fillet table that works for cocktails, grill and fileting fish but they do have rail mounts if desired. The grill base has 2 threaded inserts for securing it to most anything.
20190713_174427.jpg20190708_093403.jpg

I have a Weber q2000 and it is better than any of the Stainless Marine grills I have ever owned

How many “meals” do you get out of a gas bottle? Ballpark?

That totally depends. I'll get 2+ weeks of nightly burgers or chicken breasts with a cooking time.of ~4-5 minutes, 10 minutes gas on to gas off.

Or I'll get a few meals if I am slow cooking things or putting things on and off to make sides, etc.

I'd guesstimate the medium flame gas bottle life is less than 2 hrs and likely more than 1.5hrs. And if I close the top and cool at a lower flame for longer I get 2+ hrs.

That totally depends. I'll get 2+ weeks of nightly burgers or chicken breasts with a cooking time.of ~4-5 minutes, 10 minutes gas on to gas off.

Or I'll get a few meals if I am slow cooking things or putting things on and off to make sides, etc.

I'd guesstimate the medium flame gas bottle life is less than 2 hrs and likely more than 1.5hrs. And if I close the top and cool at a lower flame for longer I get 2+ hrs.

Question....
So with that kind of consumption is it worth the additional price for the small bottles? They are probably readily available but the overall price is about triple. Is that worth it?

I know a lot of people put bigger conventional refillable tanks on them via a hose. And, I know some people refill the "non refillable" small bottle from a conventional legitimately refillable tank.

I've never been willing to refill them because they can go ka-boom and clearly warn against it. But, again, others do.

I've never put a bigger tank on it because I don't want to mess with putting in a chain locker for it. In general, I just don't use it often enough.

If I'm making the occasional trip to the boat and cooking out on Sunday afternoons, it can last me 1-2 months, depending upon what I cook and how. Ditto for week long cruises or the occasional longer one. I'm never far from being able to buy more.

The longest I've ever lived aboard continuously was 18 months. The next longest continuous stretch about 2-3 months. Over those periods of time, there were phases where I seemed to be going through bottles like water cooking for me every night and neighbors sometimes, etc, and sometimes when I was on a grilling kick. But, I usually settle in to a mix of outdoor grilling, eating out, quick stovetop meals, slow cooked meals, and baked meats + stove top sides.

In those modes, the added cost has been outweighed by the convenience.

I usually marina or mooring hop vs anchor out and have a generator and electric indoor cooking, so I have a lot of options and tend to use them all vs just grilling.

So, I guess my answer is that, if I used it every day, I'd put in a locker and big tank. But, for what I do, I pay the piper to minimize the gas aboard.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people put bigger conventional refillable tanks on them via a hose. And, I know some people refill the "non refillable" small bottle from a conventional legitimately refillable tank.

I've never been willing to refill them because they can go ka-boom and clearly warn against it. But, again, others do.

I've never put a bigger tank on it because I don't want to mess with putting in a chain locker for it. In general, I just don't use it often enough.

If I'm making the occasional trip to the boat and cooking out on Sunday afternoons, it can last me 1-2 months, depending upon what I cook and how. Ditto for week long cruises or the occasional longer one. I'm never far from being able to buy more.

The longest I've ever lived aboard continuously was 18 months. The next longest continuous stretch about 2-3 months. Over those periods of time, there were phases where I seemed to be going through bottles like water cooking for me every night and neighbors sometimes, etc, and sometimes when I was on a grilling kick. But, I usually settle in to a mix of outdoor grilling, eating out, quick stovetop meals, slow cooked meals, and baked meats + stove top sides.

I usually marina or mooring hop vs anchor out and have a generator and electric indoor cooking, so I have a lot of options and tend to use them all vs just grilling.

So, I guess my answer is that, if I used it every day, I'd put in a locker and big tank. But, for what I do, I pay the piper to minimize the gas aboard.

And go electric and all those issues are gone.

I bought an 11 gallon tank for my Blackstone griddle. Easier to move and carry. Blackstone was set up for 1lb bottles,I just left the regulator on with a 4' hose

I just signed a contract to do a Helmsman 37 Sedan and scott is doing a fridge and outlet up top on the flybridge for me. Talk to him, he'll have some great ideas, but ours will be just aft of the settee like you say.

Another vote for Weber Q grills for bbq, though I recently purchased a Nexgrill from Costco that is similar but has dual controls instead of a single burner on Weber.

https://www.costco.com/nexgrill-cast-aluminum-table-top-gas-bbq.product.100519906.html

That said, 95% of my outdoor cooking is now on a Blackstone flat-top griddle. Much more versatile and while there are no grill marks on the steak, they do get a nice even sear.

https://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/blackstone-tabletop-griddle-bstn1039.html

Those flat-top griddles look interesting. My question is how do they differ from, for instance, just cooking a steak on a frying pan in the galley?

The attempt is to avoid the flames and fire and ashes plus this "real camping" you refer to. No. lol

Yeah, but where'syuhsensofadventchuh..? :D

Back
Top Bottom