BBQ grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but where'syuhsensofadventchuh..? :D

Doesn't extend to fire. I don't want to end up like the Adiamo that went up in flames a couple of years ago in Miami (120' Benetti). They now have the NTSB report.

They concluded candles on board a boat are not a good idea. Unattended candles are even a worse idea. Unattended candles when ABS determined that the fire detection and alarm system were inoperable two and a half months earlier and repairs ad not been made is even a worse idea. (Classification was cancelled six months earlier due to overdue survey and boat was drydocked for four months of the time).

Conclusion is flames and fiberglass and flammable materials and wood veneer don't mix well. Damage was something over $7 million.

Candles were used because the lights in the lower deck area were not working. So stew walked guests to the cabin and set three candles on the dresser for them.

Yes, I agree candles are a fire waiting to happen. :eek::nonono:
But plenty of fires are also caused by things getting out of hand on electric powered cooktops also. Having a fire blanket close by is a good idea with any type of cooker.

By the way, the Cobb cooker I was referring to is incredibly safe, because the flames from the fire-lighters are brief, it is done outside, and the cooking is actually over glowing carbonettes or heat beads, which slowly but surely cool down, so it cannot be accidentally left heating. It is self-contained, and incredibly well insulated as well. It can be sat on a cockpit table perfectly safely. Just sayin'...

Picture of me cooking a pizza in my gas-fired oven. I also had another grill top for ordinary grilling. Before anyone says it was dangerous it was no more so than any gas grill outside. Still, I removed it all from the boat last week even though we are avid consumers of homemade pizza which includes the dough. When we started the Great Loop we had sixty pounds of special Italian flour aboard. Anyway, as BandB recommends, we now have an electric grill, a Weber Q which I think works better than a gas grill because the heat emitted from the electric elements is radiant heat. Gas grills cook by heating the air. Heated air does the cooking. Charcoal cooks via radiated heat.

We switched to electric because last April we changed marinas and now have a berth that is covered. Management here is absolutely adamant about no gas grills outdoors. I now bake pizza indoors in a Breville SmartOven on a one-inch soapstone. Makes a great pizza. And the Weber electric grills a terrific steak. Yes, one must use the generator with the electric grill. Not a big deal as the generator will be doing double-duty charging batteries. Besides, it doesn't take all that long to bake a pizza or grill a steak. 20190707_181300.jpg20180204_184308.jpgPizza.jpg

We have ,and are happy with, a Magma that uses a 1lb bottles. I have the adapter to refill from a 20lb tank and while refilling the "disposable" tanks doesn't concern me too much (From what I've seen on the many youtube vids, the "kaboom" issues seem to be from over filling) , we're not big eaters and it's normally the just the 2 of us so we're ok with the longevity and convenience of the 1 lb tanks.
Those Weber grills do indeed look interesting but I wonder if they're as windproof as our Magma. We use it mounted out in the open air of the sometimes windy cockpit and I don't think it's ever blown out.
Electric works well for the dock crowd I'm sure but I doubt many ever use their electric grill with inverter power. There's nothing more obnoxious than sitting up on the bridge deck enjoying the evening in a nice anchorage and having the serenity disrupted by a clueless/inconsiderate boater who fires up a generator...although some boaters are pretty proficient at being irritating & obnoxious even without their generator growling and splashing throughout the evening. :rolleyes:

I bought a Solaire Infrared BBQ and it is by far the best one I have had during my 30+ years of boating. It uses very little propane and it heats evenly without burning. Amazing BBQ.

Attachments

• EAE3489A-5E29-4407-8105-892F3CAF92D3.jpeg
    EAE3489A-5E29-4407-8105-892F3CAF92D3.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Weber propane or electric, yes electric Q same great Weber quality and design.

I bought a Solaire Infrared BBQ and it is by far the best one I have had during my 30+ years of boating. It uses very little propane and it heats evenly without burning. Amazing BBQ.

Looks interesting... what model did you buy and did you get some sort of mount for it?

Wifey B: Chef Nevercooks is going to toss some other hot sports thoughts out here to the TF world. There are other options when cooking for a couple of people and one we used when we ran to NC using a Sprinter Van was a T-Fal Optigrill. Before you say this kind of grill can't do or won't do or any of the things, just try one. Great if you need something on the counter in a small space and with no flames or smoke. Don't even need to run a fan. Beats anything that big man who used to fight people ever had. Now, we still prefer our Kenyon and Gagenau but just tossing this concept out. Lots of other countertop grills today too. :)

Looks interesting... what model did you buy and did you get some sort of mount for it?

I bought the Solaire Everywhere and use it without a mount as I want it stowed when not in use. It has adjustable feet so that it is stable on any surface. I didn’t buy the marine model because a friend bought the non marine model years ago and his is still in perfect condition. Mine is also after quite a few years and hundreds of uses. Hope this helps.

Wifey B: Well, I'd go electric and two main choices there are Kenyon and Gaggenau. Go to top of either line and you'll have an excellent, trouble free grill. :D

Thanks, decided on the Kenyon. Great recommendation

Back
Top Bottom