Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #61

City: Benicia CA
psneeld,

You weren't even there to see the incident, yet you claim that it wasn't dangerous. Really?

I respect your knowledge, but you seem to be in a bad mood lately, which from my perspective, takes away from this forum.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #62
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Huh?
Attached Images

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #63
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
psneeld,

You weren't even there to see the incident, yet you claim that it wasn't dangerous. Really?

I respect your knowledge, but you seem to be in a bad mood lately, which from my perspective, takes away from this forum.
Of course it's hard to be serious when the serious discussions turn to garbage by people who think they know or don't know art or hull forms...

I wasn't there...you are right..but after a lifetime of BBQing and Boy Scout bonfires...I know there's a huge difference in something that is a fireball and something that will actually catch something else on fire...numerous military safety training and accident investigation schools only added to the common sense aspect of it.

While the neighboring boat owner might have been a total idiot...I hate to see regulations passed so that the vast majority of us reasonable types can no longer BBQ on our boats...and rover reaction does the rest of us no good.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #64
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. supertramp. Regarding your current BBQ which you say doesn't do well in the wind. Have you tried making a wind shield of some sort (sheet metal wind break, aluminum foil etc.) or turning the BBQ in relation to the wind direction? I have no experience with an electric BBQ but that WOULD solve the wind problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. supertramp. Regarding your current BBQ which you say doesn't do well in the wind. Have you tried making a wind shield of some sort (sheet metal wind break, aluminum foil etc.) or turning the BBQ in relation to the wind direction? I have no experience with an electric BBQ but that WOULD solve the wind problem.
Can always count on you to steer a straight course..

My complaints of all small, thin metal barbeques are that in any wind they just can't maintain enough heat and trying to block the wind can require as much effort in raising the big top at the circus...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #66
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
We tested three (propane) and settled on the the Solaire. The story is here (scroll about 3/4 the way down the page to Grill Issues). http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/..._1/V_Seats.htm
Attached Thumbnails
grills.jpg  
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #67

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Of course it's hard to be serious when the serious discussions turn to garbage by people who think they know or don't know art or hull forms...

I wasn't there...you are right..but after a lifetime of BBQing and Boy Scout bonfires...I know there's a huge difference in something that is a fireball and something that will actually catch something else on fire...numerous military safety training and accident investigation schools only added to the common sense aspect of it.

While the neighboring boat owner might have been a total idiot...I hate to see regulations passed so that the vast majority of us reasonable types can no longer BBQ on our boats...and rover reaction does the rest of us no good.
You're right as usual. Understand that I use this forum for knowledge and there are about ten members that I read every post that they put up because they're extremely knowledgable and what they say make sense to me. You are one of them (don't get too big of a head).

I realize that other members may be here for other reasons and enjoy arguments and/or controversy, but not me. I need to remember that.

No pissing contest from me.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #68
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. drf6. Thanks for that report...Hmmm....interesting.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #69
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
...MARINE regulation on grills...
Are there any? We store our grill and tank separately. I added the quick disconnect after the regulator, before the grill. I had a surveyor question it once but could not demonstrate that it was not following any marine guidelines or was unsafe. I'm sure I am not following some UL or land based gas code but the quick disconnect has never leaked and it's easier than getting the wrenches out every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Grill quick disc 2.jpg   Grill quick disc..jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #70

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Yes we have a protection against wind but in this model are below large air vents and little heat is sometimes blown out the flame.
I'm about 4 months a year in Los Roques, where the wind is already strong.
The Problem is minimum not maximum.
Norbert
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Are there any? We store our grill and tank separately. I added the quick disconnect after the regulator, before the grill. I had a surveyor question it once but could not demonstrate that it was not following any marine guidelines or was unsafe. I'm sure I am not following some UL or land based gas code but the quick disconnect has never leaked and it's easier than getting the wrenches out every time.
I don't think there are any on the grill side unless you extrapolate the ABYC issues from interior appliances that they have burner cutoff thermocouples and then yes the quick connect would not meet that standard (which is crap if it is exterior and a leak would ventilate over the side.)

Luckily I have bfloyd4445 working on the answer for us!!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #72
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. Larry M. An elegant solution. The only "problem" I might have is the female fitting appears to be sticking out a bit much (snagging on pant leg hazard) but as far as leakage? A non issue. I worked with quick connects for 35 years and can't recall ANY leakage issues.
Mr. supertramp. I understand your frustration with wind blowing out the burner. Our ancient Magma BBQ/grill would blow out frequently in any wind over 20 knts. The way the unit was built meant taking off the food, removing the grill section, removing the small cap over the burner, re-lighting and reassembling. Keep in mind everything was hot and greasy at this point. After one-too-many such episodes I drilled a 5/8" hole through the inner and outer SS layers at a level I could insert a BBQ lighter to re-light easily. Also allowed me to monitor the flame. A LOT less frustration was the result. My cooking technique hasn't improved at all but at least I have consistent flame to burn things.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #73
Guru

Quote:

PSNEELD,

I've taken my share of safety courses....Navy shipboard firefighting and the USC Aircraft Accident Investigation course among them. Making light and belittling doesn't change the fact that this was a dangerous scenario. Charcoal grills and lighter fluid in the hands of "idiots" on boats are an accident waiting to happen. I believe most of the marina prohibitions are actually aimed at that particular combination.

Regards
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #74
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfstar 36 View Post
Should have hosed him off, I know I would have. He was the one in the wrong and he smoked up your boat.
Second that
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
PSNEELD,

I've taken my share of safety courses....Navy shipboard firefighting and the USC Aircraft Accident Investigation course among them. Making light and belittling doesn't change the fact that this was a dangerous scenario. Charcoal grills and lighter fluid in the hands of "idiots" on boats are an accident waiting to happen. I believe most of the marina prohibitions are actually aimed at that particular combination.

Regards
I never belittled, made light of yes...From experience, you have bigger things to worry about in most marinas than grills....

and of course it's only my opinion but I'm not the only one that's pissed that some marinas are "over"ruled.....
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #76
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
I never belittled, made light of yes...From experience, you have bigger things to worry about in most marinas than grills....

and of course it's only my opinion but I'm not the only one that's pissed that some marinas are "over"ruled.....
Don’t worry much bout Marina Rules, re what’s allowed during “dock stays” that is...

We go to our Tolly to cruise, swing on front hook, or beach it nose first with stabilizing front and rear anchors set – well away from any dock. No dock BBQen for us!

Occasionally a dock party will be underway upon our arrival to boat. Admiral and I (sometimes a couple family members included) love to wave "Goodbye" as we cruise off! Why stay at dock with those you seldom meet when you can go out and party with long time boating friends while BBQen out-on da water???

Never could understand remaining at dock to just play aboard any boat, unless maybe weather is simply too severe to venture out... then you usually need to be inside the boat staying dry and warm... with comfortable, safe BBQen out of the question!

IMHO: Docks are made to store and protect boats awaiting their use out on the water. Or maybe to stay hooked into for a day while visiting a new town. And, covered berths are best for everything concerned.

Funniest thing to me is when persons rent a boat for period of time and stay hooked up at some dock’s slip for most of it. What in the heck is the sense of that... go figure???!!!

Boaten is for boaten – Not for docken!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #77
Guru

When you live aboard and still work...and then cruise straight for 4 months...anchoring is fun but so is staying in marinas when you need to get to work, buy stuff and lot's of power to fix things...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #78
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
When you live aboard and still work...and then cruise straight for 4 months...anchoring is fun but so is staying in marinas when you need to get to work, buy stuff and lot's of power to fix things...
Understood!!

For us and our boat pals - Boaten is Sheer R&R...

Away From EVERYTHING!

Yeah, we're spoiled... worked damn hard to get here!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #79
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
PSNEELD,

Making light and belittling doesn't change the fact that this was a dangerous scenario. Charcoal grills and lighter fluid in the hands of "idiots" on boats are an accident waiting to happen.

Several years ago a fellow with a 30-something foot Bayliner was having trouble getting one of his gas engines started. So he poured some raw gas down the carburetor throat while his girlfriend cranked the engine. The engine backfired and shot a gout of flame up out of the engine room. The flame got something on the boat burning and by the time the guy got hold of a fire extinguisher the fire was too big for it. He and the girflriend abandoned the boat by diving off the bow.

End result: the Bayliner burned to the waterline and sunk. The cruiser in the slip with it (upwind) had severe scorching and hull and cabin warping from the heat. The boat in the next slip over (downwind), a newly and totally restored, refinished CHB, was destroyed above the waterline although it did not sink.

Many of the dock's pilings were burned. And most of the boats on the dock (the Bayliner was the second boat in on the upwind end of the dock) suffered extreme smoke and soot damage.

Had the initial fire resulted from a big flare-up from a barbecue it is certainly possible the results could have been exactly the same.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #80
Guru

A good friend of mine burned up his Bayliner exactly the same way.....the difference is that the gasoline all over the place caught fire...not the neighbors boat or the deck or the cabin, etc...etc

I said from the very beginning that it takes a lot for a "flare up" to catch anything on fire unless it was covered in gas (flammable liquid)...

I'm more scared of guys working on their boats and filling them with gas than from the neighbors BBQing....as both of our stories point out....

With 2 examples of boats burned to the waterline from carburetors and I know of none by BBQ.....why then don't marinas ban carburetors?????