Bayliner Windshield - Safety Glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
A 3988 at my club - protected, quiet, under cover - had this happen, perhaps last night. No idea what caused it, but...I’m a bit boggled at the non-laminated safety glass - is that a “thing” with Bayliners? What a horror show.

IMG_4983.jpg

We've had previous threads on this. Happened to our Carver 3207 one year. Under a very large tarp, early spring, went to check on the boat and the starboard windshield had shattered into little bits. No visible reason why. If the lifting and blocking put the windshield under stress, it took all winter before it shattered. Maybe a temperature differential during freeze/ thaw. Made a terrible mess. The bilge floor hatch had been removed for winterization work so the glass bits rained all the way down to the keel. Glass is mysterious temperamental stuff.

(For that matter a tempered glass shower door spontaneously exploded one night in our house. Scared us to death.)

Greetings,
Mr. r. That windscreen is tempered glass (single layer of glass) whereas laminated glass has a layer of plastic in between two layers of glass.

Tempered glass is indeed strange stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempered_glass

Spontaneous breakage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Much better than I could explain it. The resultant gaping hole is the reason I personally prefer laminated safety glass.

The only advantage to tempered glass is it can be formed into curved sections.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. r. That windscreen is tempered glass (single layer of glass) whereas laminated glass has a layer of plastic in between two layers of glass.

Tempered glass is indeed strange stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempered_glass

Spontaneous breakage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

Much better than I could explain it. The resultant gaping hole is the reason I personally prefer laminated safety glass.

The only advantage to tempered glass is it can be formed into curved sections.

There’s another advantage to tempered glass in that it is much stronger than laminated or non tempered glass. Like so many things, it’s a trade off. But for a windshield I would prefer safety glass.

I don’t know what my forward windows are but I strongly suspect it is safety glass. I know the side and aft facing windows are tempered glass because of the weird patterns one can see in them sometimes when wearing polarized glasses.

Ken

Last edited:
I think you will find tempered glass in most new and newer boats. It's in ALL cars and has been for many years. It is stronger but once broken all that remains is pebbles which is the point and an important one in a collision..

But for my boat, I too prefer the laminated safety glass. I was hit a few years ago and two windows were broken. They were the laminated glass so although broken they stayed in place and I was able to duct tape them together enough for us to get home, about a week.

Were it tempered glass I would have had nothing in those two openings., maybe a tarp. Even getting to a place where some plywood could be obtained would have been a couple days if the weather co-operated.

Of course there is no guarantee that if the hit were worse the laminated stuff would not have been driven entirely out of the frame but it did hold together, tempered would not have at all.

You are right that there are trade offs. This is one I will stay with at least for this boat. Next boat I may not have a choice.

I think you will find tempered glass in most new and newer boats. It's in ALL cars and has been for many years. It is stronger but once broken all that remains is pebbles which is the point and an important one in a collision..

Cars typically use tempered glass for side and rear windows, but laminated glass for windshields.

Our Krogen has/had tempered glass for the 3 pilot house windows. We replaced the center window when were out of the country with safety glass (tempered wasn't available) when a contractor tried to clean up some spilled paint and scratched the glass.

Greetings,
I think this thread is becoming a bit muddled. When one refers to "safety glass" it can be tempered (either by heat or chemical treatment), laminated, wire reinforced OR tempered AND laminated. ALL are "safety glasses".

Re: Post #4. Mr. kc. "...tempered glass in that it is much stronger than laminated or non tempered". Very true until it's not, to the point of complete destruction as evidenced by the anecdotes offered. It may not take any more than microscopic damage to an edge, a temperature change or even a scratch to cause shattering as mentioned by Mr. LM (post #7).

Heat treated safety glass's strength comes from the compressive forces imparted to (only) the surface of the glass during manufacture. Might be upwards of 30,000 PSI but that compression might only be in the first .003" of the surface. Once that .003" "layer" is compromised, that 30,000 PSI is released with explosive force producing those tiny pieces of what once was your port/window.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom